Help with Series 3 Tivo and Cable Cards - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-24-2007, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ditched the old Comcast /Motorola HD DVR with DVI output and replace w Tivo Series 3. Installed 2 Comcast cable cards, the premium HD channels didn't come up on one and nothing but basic on the other. Two sets of techs have since come to the house. They replaced one cable card, and called in the info (which the CSR didn't ask for) on both cards.

Now one card recieves all stations, the other card doesn't recieve the premium HD stations and some of the premium SD stations.

I called the CSR and asked for a hit on the replacement card. No change. Asked for a hit on both cards. No change. Can't even tell which card isn't receiving because there is no legend when switching "Live TV" button.

Any ideas??????

" I beseech you, ....., think it possible that you may be mistaken!" Oliver Cromwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-24-2007, 10:24 AM

Liked: 11
If your problem is that you're missing whole tiers of service, or specific premium channels, then Comcast needs to fix it for you. If you're just missing random channels (i.e., you get some channels on a tier but not others), that's a known bug in the TiVo S3 that a very small number of owners report (including me -- I returned my S3 because of it).
post #3 of 7 Old 02-24-2007, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Do you happen to know what the fix is; is it done from thru the CSR tech support on-line or does it require the scheduling of still another visit. Frankly, when it comes to the techs doing home service, they scratch their heads and frown at the cable cards.

" I beseech you, ....., think it possible that you may be mistaken!" Oliver Cromwell
post #4 of 7 Old 02-24-2007, 11:10 AM

I had a similar issue. Turns out the data on which channels I subscribed to was incorrect in my customer profile. Finally got a good CSR that spent 20 minutes fixing it all. Two quick hits later, system was 100% operational.
Good Luck
post #5 of 7 Old 09-29-2007, 03:43 PM

Does this apply only to out of the box Tivo Series 3? It has worked flawlessly up until 3 weeks ago. I have made no changes in service. Here is the situation:

Anyone have any ideas? I have had a Series 3 for almost a year hooked up via HDMI to my TV. I have had the same Motorola S cards plugged in for the same amount of time. I still am running software 8.3.1. About 3 weeks ago, I began noticing some "tearing" or massive pixelation/block issues on 2 HD channels. It has now spread to 2 other HD channels. They are not on the same tier of service thru Comcast(not part of a Showtime Block Tier or anything).

This past week I had the Tivo set to record Heroes on NBCHD. All of our local HD comes thru Comcast, not thru OTA antenna. It did not record at all. There were no scheduling conflicts. On Thursday, it recorded 24 minutes of Ugly Betty from ABCHD. I was home both nights. There were no power outtages. It just stopped recording. I was flipping thru channels today and noticed that none of my local channels were getting any signal. I recieved the message that there was no signal on Basic Cable In. I called the ever helpful Comcast(sarcasm implied) who said they could do nothing with cable cards and would have to send a tech out. I know this is false as they have re-hit my cards when I had a similar problem with the local channels before of no signal. I should say that I have no problems on my Comcast cable box in the bedroom with any of these channels, but I do on both cable cards.

I decided to call Tivo just in case. While I was on hold, the tearing stopped and the local signals returned for about 3 minutes. They then went away. While they were clear, the signal strength was 100. My signal strength is now between 75-77 on the tearing channels with alternating no signal. Signal strength is, of course, zero on the local channels.

The Tivo rep goes thru the diagnostics and says the cards are paired correctly. He says that I only need to have the cable company re-hit each of the cable cards. We go 3way, and Comcast supposedly rehits both cards. They told me it might take 20 minutes; however, it was instantaneous before. We got off the phone with Comcast, and I asked the Tivo tech what to do should this not work. He kept telling me all I could do was call Comcast again. I asked him if repeated re-hitting didn't work what to do, and he tells me all I can do is call them back and do a 3 way again for the tech to ask them to re-hit. I have had them re hit 3 x now. I do not see a point in calling Tivo for them only to call and ask Comcast to do it a forth time. Any suggestions you all have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
DocT
post #6 of 7 Old 09-30-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
I'd say that it sounds like something based on (maybe) time of day. I've heard reports of that sort of thing happening with bad or sketchy cable runs from the street into people's houses; you should have the cableco recheck the wiring.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-01-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you ever lose the tuners on your Tivo, the first thing to do is reboot the unit.

If you have some sort of split in your cable your signal can degrading during poor weather and levels of moderate to high RF interference. Splits can be the fault of careless cable or satellite installers. They can also be the fault of squirrels, chipmunks, and woodpeckers in some areas.

The cable's outer jacket may be largely weatherproof but the insides are not. A small cable cut can become more problematic over time as weather eats away at the foil shielding. The Tivo's tuner is more sensitive than a number of cable co STBs and DVRs; a borderline quality signal may produce a consistent picture (most of the time) on the cable co STB, but cause pixelization on the Tivo.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page