SA 8300HD vs. Tivo Series 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-11-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, I just got a new TV and Comcast is currently out of HD DVRs, so I was wondering about Tivo. I am not very familiar with Tivo so I don't know what I would lose (or gain). I used to have an SA 8300 HD and it seemed to work pretty well.

How does the series 2 Tivo compare to the 8300? There's no way I would shell out $900 or whatever for a series 3. I know it's technically not an HD recorder, but is the quality of the series two recordings noticably different in comparison to the 8300. Also, if I go with Tivo and cable card and ditch the box, can I still use on demand features?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-11-2007, 08:28 PM

Hi Jerlane,

The Tivo Series 2 is Standard Def only. If you want to watch or record High Def you need to go with the Tivo Series 3 or the SA8300HD. If you go with the Series 2 you still need a cable box as it does not support Cablecards. Only the Series 3 supports them.

Overall the Series 2 is a great box, but the picture quality of HD should push you to the 8300HD.

-Rob
post #3 of 5 Old 03-12-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I could use a cable card with my new TV, that's why I brought it up. Now if I got a wild hair and went with the series three, would I still lose the ability to use on demand features without a cable box?
post #4 of 5 Old 03-12-2007, 02:32 PM

You do not get On Demand with Tivo Series 3. The cable companies force you to use their box. You have to decide between a great user experience with the Tivo (at a cost) or a vaguely useable one with the SA8300HD with On Demand.

The good news is that some cable companies (Cox and Comcast) are working with Tivo to bring their User Interface to the SA8300's.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-12-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

We use on demand quite a bit, so that will be the clincher for us. I heard that Comcast is going to offer Tivo at some point in the future, like you mentioned. I'll give it a try when they do.

Thanks again for your help.

Jeremy
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page