Will this work??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-16-2007, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a motorola DCT6412 DVR because my current cable company (Charter) has had at least a 6 month backlog on DVRs.
I got the 6412 because this is the unit i had while living in california and had comcast and was impressed by it.

My question, will this DVR work with Charter?
I have hooked everything up and box displays analog signal only and the DVR functions work fine.
And by going to the diagnostics screen, (power off then ok/select) it says i am only receiving the analog signal and only on 1 tuner.

How can i get this box to receive the digital signal? Anyone done or heard of this being done before?

All help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-16-2007, 03:28 PM

Cable companies in the US generally will not activate customer owned cable boxes. You likely either bought a stolen box, or one from Canada (where customers are allowed to own their cable boxes).
post #3 of 8 Old 03-18-2007, 12:41 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime583 View Post

I recently purchased a motorola DCT6412 DVR because my current cable company (Charter) has had at least a 6 month backlog on DVRs.
I got the 6412 because this is the unit i had while living in california and had comcast and was impressed by it.

My question, will this DVR work with Charter?
I have hooked everything up and box displays analog signal only and the DVR functions work fine. And by going to the diagnostics screen, (power off then ok/select) it says i am only receiving the analog signal and only on 1 tuner.

How can i get this box to receive the digital signal? Anyone done or heard of this being done before?

I'm shocked that the DVR functions are working at all - you're the first person i've seen here who bought a stolen DVR and got it to work (albeit very basically) on their cable network. Where did you buy it? And what city/state/country are you in?

For it to receive the digital channels in your digital service tier, you'll have to try to get your cable company to do it on their end. I'd be curious to know if they (A) are willing to activate it and (B) if it's even possible since it didn't originate from their division and has different encryption keys than their units.

Keep us posted . . . .

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #4 of 8 Old 03-20-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far... Sounds like this has not really been attempted before.
Charter really has been no help, technicians don't know anything and calling them is an even bigger joke. I got one answer of possibly July 1 being they day they open the system up to a situation like this.

From the information i have collected it seems it is on charter's end where they would have to setup the box to receive "their" signal.

Anyone else have any ideas?

By the way, who said this box was stolen???
post #5 of 8 Old 03-20-2007, 06:36 PM

It's been tried before, by others that have come to this forum. AFAIK, no one has succeeded.

I said the box was "likely stolen", because there is no way to buy that cable box in the US. I'm not saying that you stole it, but possibly whomever you bought it from, or whomever they bought it from. If it is from Canada, that is another story.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-23-2007, 08:21 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetime583 View Post

By the way, who said this box was stolen???

These cable DVRs are not sold to individuals in the USA, they're wholly owned by the cable companies and leased/rented to subscribers. Since you have Charter, i think it's presumed that you're in the USA. Canada is another story, some cable companies there give you the option of buying it from them so it's legal to resell it there.

Exactly where or how did you buy this unit? If it was off EBay and was a US-based seller, then it's almost assuredly still the property of the cable company thaat originally issued it which is to say it's probably stolen property. There are tons of stolen cable DVRs being sold on EBay despite rules disallowing this - i've written to several sellers and bidders over the past few years and so far NONE of them have been legit nor activated.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #7 of 8 Old 04-18-2007, 04:18 PM

so right now we have no options in the US that anyone knows of?

we cannot buy Cable Digital HD Recievers with or without DVR functionality and use it on our providers network?

i think that's what I am hearing.... if its true then someone needs to start a Class Action suit against the Cable Industry.... If it's true I'll feel like everytime I come home from work to watch TV it'll be just like going to a baseball game and paying $6 for a hotdog!!! cha ching, cha ching, cha ching...

cable internet providers let us buy their cable modems a looooong time ago i don't see why they won't let us do the same with the Recievers...... absolute shame....

Panasonic TH-42PX600U, Onkyo HT-S790
post #8 of 8 Old 04-20-2007, 06:06 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishel View Post

so right now we have no options in the US that anyone knows of?

we cannot buy Cable Digital HD Recievers with or without DVR functionality and use it on our providers network?

Well you can buy a Tivo Series 3 and rent a pair of cablecards from your provider and get all your subscribed HD channels, but there's not much else out there. If any of your current or future channels are on SDV then the Tivo won't be able to tune them so it is limited as well.

Randy

Gallery -
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page