8300SD GUI sucks... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-03-2007, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How come the GUI is so different from the one's I see around the internet and on TV? The one's I usually see are more Tivo-like, unlike the old, boring Town Square that's used on my SA 8300SD. Is this because of where I'm located(CNY)???

I also had one more question and I might as well ask it here...

When trying to record a program sometimes it will say you cannot record 3 programs at a time. I understand that, however when I get this message only one program in recording! Nothing else is set to record!? What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-07-2007, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There are several different platforms for the 8300HD. They SARA (oldest and cheapest), Pioneer Passport, and TWC Navigator.

I'm guessing you have SARA.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-08-2007, 11:25 AM

The GUI's on all just about all STB's suck. Try switching the channel from say "4" to "653" using the program guide when you have a few hundred channels. The way around that is by using an HTPC with software that can control the STB. Then you can use online program guides like TitanTV to switch channels and schedule recordings with a single click on the TitanTV listings "watch now" or "record" icon.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-09-2007, 06:06 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

The GUI's on all just about all STB's suck. Try switching the channel from say "4" to "653" using the program guide when you have a few hundred channels.

No big deal, i simply press 6-5-3 and the guide immediately switches to 653. Then if i press select the TV immediately tunes to channel 653. It takes like two seconds.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #5 of 9 Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGT View Post

How come the GUI is so different from the one's I see around the internet and on TV? The one's I usually see are more Tivo-like, unlike the old, boring Town Square that's used on my SA 8300SD. Is this because of where I'm located(CNY)???

I also had one more question and I might as well ask it here...

When trying to record a program sometimes it will say you cannot record 3 programs at a time. I understand that, however when I get this message only one program in recording! Nothing else is set to record!? What can I do?

Click here to go to a post that might answer your last question.

It sounds like you have SARA software since you mention "Town Square" which is SARA's default Color Scheme. You probably know that the Color Scheme can be changed by pressing the Settings key twice and going to "Set: Color Scheme" and selecting a new Color Scheme.

Links:

post #6 of 9 Old 04-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

No big deal, i simply press 6-5-3 and the guide immediately switches to 653. Then if i press select the TV immediately tunes to channel 653. It takes like two seconds.

You obviously have no clue what I am talking about..
IOW, are you going to go through that process for every channel you may be interested in watching to see what is playing? I typically have around 30 to 40 different channels that might interest me. By the time I found something to watch using your direct keyin proceedure to access each, the feature would be half over. The other alternative with the box guide is to scroll through 300 or so channels. Neither one of those options appeal to me since I have something light years better at my fingertips.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-11-2007, 06:53 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

You obviously have no clue what I am talking about..
IOW, are you going to go through that process for every channel you may be interested in watching to see what is playing? I typically have around 30 to 40 different channels that might interest me. By the time I found something to watch using your direct keyin procedure to access each, the feature would be half over. The other alternative with the box guide is to scroll through 300 or so channels. Neither one of those options appeal to me since I have something light years better at my fingertips.

But you said "Try switching the channel from say "4" to "653" using the program guide when you have a few hundred channels" which is to say you want to go directly to ch 653. You did not say that you wanted to scroll through all 30-40 of you favorite channels to look for something to watch.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #8 of 9 Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 PM

So you have some sort of comprehension issue where you confuse the terms "using the program guide" with "using your remotes numeric buttons"? And then you assume that I would care about an explanation of what is obviously just a smart a$$ remark. I think you should probably re-evaluate who you are talking to here, most of us possess the level of intelligence required to understand each others communications without having to have each individual word explained to them like you would to a child. I think you will feel much more at home in my ignore list.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-12-2007, 06:49 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:

So you have some sort of comprehension issue where you confuse the terms "using the program guide" with "using your remotes numeric buttons"? And then you assume that I would care about an explanation of what is obviously just a smart a$$ remark. I think you should probably re-evaluate who you are talking to here, most of us possess the level of intelligence required to understand each others communications without having to have each individual word explained to them like you would to a child. I think you will feel much more at home in my ignore list.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass, i was only responding to what you typed. But i think you are missing my point that when you're in the guide looking at what's on channel 4 that you can use the number keys to take you directly to channel 653 in the guide? Then press Select to change the TV to that channel if you want to watch that channel? That's what i'm talking about. I lot of people i know don't realize that you don't have to scroll through the whole guide to look at certain channels - or that they can use the number keys to go directlyto other channels in the guide. Jeepers.

Randy

Gallery -
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page