Comcast Tivo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read on many forums and blogs (including this one) that there is supposed to be some sort of Tivo software "upgrade" for the Comcast Motorolla 6214. I've been calling Comcast sales folks on a regular basis and get varied answers as to the validity of this rumor.

The story I'm hearing now is that Comcast is planning on rolling out an entirely different set top box running Tivo software, and that this box will be available to the general public in three to four months. A beta release will be available in limited markets and to comcast employees in one month.

Anyone here have any news/rumors on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-07-2007, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You can see pics of the Tivo Software upgrade for Comcast Motorola DVRs here:

http://www.tivolovers.com/Photos/CES2007/

The Motorola 341x and 641x are HDTV DVRs, so you will find discussion in the HDTV Recorders forum. Specifically, the thread for the new Tivo software:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&page=1&pp=30

Look for the latest posts from scanpa (a Comcast employee) for current status. Last I looked, the first markets were expected to get the new software in late April or May. Not all markets will get it at once, so you may have to wait a few months for it to be offered in your particular market.

Quote:

The story I'm hearing now is that Comcast is planning on rolling out an entirely different set top box running Tivo software, and that this box will be available to the general public in three to four months. A beta release will be available in limited markets and to comcast employees in one month.

Not true. It is true that Comcast won't be buying any more 341x and 641x DVRs, effective July, as they are prohibited from doing so by the FCC integration ban. The new hardware is comparable, aside from the fact that it uses CableCards and DCAS. More information here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789805
post #3 of 15 Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 AM

getting the new comcast /tivo sat 12th 2008 cant wait just was released iam in mass. i will let you no how it is. new had tivo before they use my same box but just upgrade in side software. wish my comcast box had a bigger hard drive i do have a dvd recorder i wounder if i can copy some of the tivo content to that? any one have any ideas?
post #4 of 15 Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You can press record on your DVD recorder while the TiVo is playing a recording, just as with any other box.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-13-2008, 04:44 PM

just got the new comcast tivo so far great still getting use to it tech was here for 2 hrs didnt touch box all done form comcast center in clemford mass over cable lines.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-14-2008, 02:31 AM

I just want to confirm that this is for real... is it? I live in Cambridge, MA.

Rest assured I'll be calling Comcast tomorrow to validate, but in the meanwhile this is what I've been waiting for. I keep a TiVo Series 2 DT in addition to my Comcast MOT 6214 III but it looks like I can dump that now (and the extra $12.95/mo - yay!)

Thanks for the info!
post #7 of 15 Old 01-14-2008, 03:19 PM

So I just got off the phone with Comcast and confirmed that they are indeed releasing the TiVo software upgrade in the metro-Boston area for 6214 III's. Booyeah!
post #8 of 15 Old 01-15-2008, 01:51 PM

I just had Comcast upgrade my DVR to the TIVO software and the guide and menus seem slow and sluggish to me. It took the TIVO over a minute to come back from ordering a Season Pass for Prison Break.

I noticed the HD menus are worse then SD. Anyone else having this issue. I know calling Comcast will result in nothing.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgesmlls View Post

I just had Comcast upgrade my DVR to the TIVO software and the guide and menus seem slow and sluggish to me. It took the TIVO over a minute to come back from ordering a Season Pass for Prison Break.

When you change the order of season passes, TiVo processes much of the guide data. This can be time consuming, depending on how many season passes you have.

Quote:

I noticed the HD menus are worse then SD. Anyone else having this issue. I know calling Comcast will result in nothing.

I'm not sure what you mean. Motorola DVRs do not support HD menus -- all menus and graphics are in SD.

You might want to see the dedicated forum for the Comcast Tivos, HD Comcast TiVo DVR.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-18-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Comcast and TiVo are working on the initial issues. Check out this thread here by a legit comcast deployment agent.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=979925

And those that are skeptical, this person was confirmed legit by a well known TiVo employee over at TCF.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...82#post5890582
post #11 of 15 Old 01-28-2008, 04:10 PM

Just got my Comcast Tivo setup today.

This means the Harmony needs to be updated to emulate the new controls.

Has anyone done this yet? Which device is the best to add to my list? If I add the Moto box, it'll think I'm using my old remote.

Oh and the old Tivo trick to enable 30 second skip (Select, Play, Select, 3, 0, Select) doesn't seem to work.... I can't live without my 30 sec skip!

Any ideas guys?

G
post #12 of 15 Old 01-28-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The new TiVo software uses the same Motorola IR signals. It does not use TiVo IR commands.

They should have given you a new Comcast TiVo remote.

The 30s skip isn't supported by the current Comcast TiVo software. An update to the Comcast TiVo software is apparently coming in a few weeks, so hopefully that feature will be added then.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-28-2008, 07:11 PM

Thanks bfdtv,

I do have and am using the new Tivo remote they gave me, but I'd like to go back to Harmony powered, one remote bliss ASAP.

I'll go for the same Motorola IR signals and maybe use the new remote to teach the Harmony some of the new Tivo keys.

Thanks... the wife is gives me all kinds of grief for losing the 30s skip feature..... I REALLY hope it makes it in.

G
post #14 of 15 Old 02-08-2008, 06:22 PM

If you haven't already found this; it will enable the 30 second skip on Comcast TiVo:

Enter the following key sequence on the remote control:
Rewind
Slow
Fast Forward
Play
Advance

Works great.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-08-2008, 08:06 PM

Works like a charm... thanks boxerboys.

Was there some recent s/w update sent out? Tivo is still way too slow and SeasonPass's taking 10 years to establish themselves.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page