Los Angeles TWC, BMC9012 Moxi to Moto 6416? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-04-2007, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
(I posted this in the hdtv recorder forum a few days ago....but no response. Hope I have better luck here ).

I have a Motorola Moxi DVR (BMC9012) from Aldelphia days (Silverlake area, Eagle Rock cable office), it has served me well. The biggest hindrance now is the small 80gig drive, which is always full now (hdtv, etc.). TWC says I can swap my Moxi for the Moto 6416 (160g) and essentially, the only reason I would, is for the larger drive.

Can anyone who has made this move chime in? They will charge me the install fee ($30 I think), yet there seems to be many issues with the 6416, but the threads are soooo long and maybe out of date, I don't know how many of these issues might have been resolved.

Here is how I will use the 6416:
> DVI to my Projector, works fine now. Well, the 6416 has hdmi, but I'm hoping a hdmi to dvi adapter is all I will need.
> Transfer some recorded material to my Polaroid DVD recorder. Currently doing this fine from my Moto Moxi DVR.
> S-video or component to my SD CRT tv.

I've read of PQ issues with the Analog cable channels?
How is the digital SD and HDTV channels PQ?

I initially talked to tech support that said I could go to my local office (Eagle rock) and p/u the box myself, then when I install, call in the code to activate. Of course when I arrived at the office (no direct phone lines of course), they said that wasn't offered, would have to schedule a installer to come out...which means $30 to me. I originally was gonna try out the box with hardly much to lose, yet now I would have to sit around, wait and pay that fee to maybe find out this 6416 sucks b@lls. Then have another service visit to activate my old Moxi box again...so maybe $30 + $30 I think. Trying to avoid that. I've read some of the threads, but by gawd they are numerous and long...and many were started 2-3 years ago so I would think many issues might of been resolved. It's hard to 'search' that kind of info.

Also> How is the external HD capability of the 6416 these days? Is it for real? Through the eSata or firewire or?

Any feedback appreciated!

Fleaman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-06-2007, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Nobody huh
post #3 of 5 Old 04-12-2007, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got the DCT6416 installed a couple of weeks ago. Basically, I'm very happy with it. I mean it's not a Tivo Series 3, but for the price, it does what I need and has more or less worked well. First and foremost, this box is silent compared to the Moxi. I used to have to unplug the Moxi every night (which largely defeats the purpose of a DVR) since it sounded like a jet engine. Second - this box looks as if it holds close to 30 hours of HD. Third - it's fast. Changing channels is much faster than the Moxi, and boot up (yes, it has frozen up a few times - but usually only when I'm pushing buttons fast in the On Demand section) takes about 5 seconds. Fourth - if you use the "swap" button correctly, it lets you buffer 2 channels simultaniously - even if you're not recording either one. I have TWC in Santa Monica, and they did the install free of charge - maybe because the old Moxi was on the fritz. I haven't tried to connect via HDMI, but that is certainly an option. I'm using component cables since my DVD player is using the HDMI. No problems with pixelation, and I feel as if the picture quality is better than the Moxi. Bottom line - it feels like newer technology - the Moxi, at least for me, was clunky.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-12-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool...thanks very much for the feedback.

What was wrong with your old moxi that they did the swap for free?

Fleaman
post #5 of 5 Old 04-13-2007, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think one of the tuners just died. If I was recording a show on one channel and attempted to watch a different one, I would get the "Unauthorized Channel" screen. This new box is not what I would call hugely intuitive, and I wouldn't recommend it to someone faint of heart when it comes to gadgets - but most of us who know the difference between SD and HD - DVI and HDMI - etc etc should be okay with it.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page