dct6412 iii audio frequently cuts out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-30-2007, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just had a dct6412 iii installed by my cable provider, and it's my first DVR. I've used them in the past at my parent's house, but I've never really had the opportunity to fully explore the features and capabilities.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. I ended up turning 4:3 override off because I can't stand the stretching or zooming of 4:3 pictures on my 16:9 display, and I bumped the HDMI output to 1080i from the default 720p, but those are the only two options I changed.

To give a little background on my setup, I've got the DVR plugged into my TV via the HDMI cable (it's not a DVI/HDMI cable, it's straight HDMI), and my TV has an optical output, so I have that going to my Yamaha receiver. This setup seems to work pretty well, as it does give me Dolby Digital surround when available and regular stereo audio otherwise.

The problem I'm noticing is that every few minutes the audio signal just goes away, but it only lasts for a second. The receiver acts like it's not receiving any audio signal at all, and then it's back. It happens both when receiving Dolby Digital and stereo. Both when watching live TV or recordings.

Like I said, the audio only goes down for about a second at a time, but it happens frequently enough to be annoying. It sounds similar to a bug listed on wikibooks (I can't link to it because I don't have enough posts), but that seems to be specific to recordings, and I haven't gotten any graphical glitches.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-30-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Some older receivers exhibited an audio compatibility problem and random signal dropouts were the result. I don't recall Yamaha receivers ever being among the problematic units, though. Most of these receivers that exhibited the problem are 5+ years old. If your receiver is newer than that, it would probably rule out that issue.

I would check the diagnostic screen on the Motorola for reported errors. That could be the cause. Power off the unit, then press the Ok within a few seconds. Use page +/- to move through the different diagnostic screens. If you do see a high number of such errors, then you need to schedule a service call and have Comcast look at your signal.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-30-2007, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

It's a newer receiver, htr-5935. It's also worth noting that the TV has a Qam tuner and prior to getting the DVR, all of the TV I watched (both analog and the unencrypted/HD channels the Qam tuner picked up) was fine, although I did get occasional audio and video dropouts on the HD locals during prime time. Nothing like what I'm experiencing now. (I was using optical out on the TV to the receiver then as well)

I'll try to take a look at the diagnostic screen, but I've had trouble pulling it up in the past. You turn off the box and press select/ok, right? When I tried that, nothing happened. I was able to get into the configuration screen by pressing menu after turning off the box, but not using select/ok. Am I missing some trick? I've tried using both the button on the remote as well as the one on the box itself.

If the problem persists, I'll contact the cable company (Insight for me, but that's probably neither here nor there). Thanks for the advice!
post #4 of 8 Old 05-02-2007, 05:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc64 View Post

I'll try to take a look at the diagnostic screen, but I've had trouble pulling it up in the past. You turn off the box and press select/ok, right? When I tried that, nothing happened. I was able to get into the configuration screen by pressing menu after turning off the box, but not using select/ok. Am I missing some trick? I've tried using both the button on the remote as well as the one on the box itself.

When pulling up the info screen, you have to do it quickly, IIRC.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I was able to view the diagnostic screen, but the numbers I saw confused me somewhat. I recall that the SNR under "OOB Status" was listed at "fair" (around 19 dB, I think), and AGC was "good" (I think it was somewhere around 30%).

I also checked the values under "Inband status", but there were only numbers listed for Tuner 1. Tuner 2 was there, but there was no information for it. Both SNR and AGC for Tuner 1 were listed as "good" (I think it was around 33 dB and 55% respectively).

Going off of the configuration section on wikibooks, I'm a little bit confused at what this indicates. It's unclear what the difference between OOB and Inband is, and what I can do to try to improve things. It's suggested that a low SNR (such as my "fair" 19 dB in OOB) could be improved by eliminating splitters (the only splitter is the cable company installed one that goes to my cable modem) or adding an amplifier. However, it also indicates that an AGC under around 50% could indicate too strong of a signal.

And if I do try to boost or attenuate the signal, will that effect the OOB Status or the Inband Status, or both? I'm very confused.

I suppose my next step in all of this is to try plugging the DVR directly into the receiver to try to eliminate the TV as a possible cause for the audio dropouts. I just hoped to avoid that since it's going to add a minor complication to my home theater setup.

It also appears that I'm on a fairly old firmware and software, but I don't suppose there's much I can do about that. Any tips on lighting a fire under the cable company to get them to update their stuff? Currently running firmware 12.31 (no 30-second skip ) and software 73.44, I believe.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 01:34 PM

Inband is the RF video from the channels which you can view.
Out-of-Band is basically the data which loads to the DCT; not viewable.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-07-2007, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

So, in this case, inband would be what I'm specifically looking for? And from what I can tell, my inband SNR and AGC are both pretty good. I guess it's time to move to the next step (plugging the DVR into the receiver). If that still doesn't work, I guess I'll call the cable company and see if they can get me a different box.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-08-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brc64 View Post

I've got the DVR plugged into my TV via the HDMI cable (it's not a DVI/HDMI cable, it's straight HDMI), and my TV has an optical output, so I have that going to my Yamaha receiver.

Try running the optical audio directly from the DCT6412 to the receiver rather than from the TV to the receiver.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page