DVR that won't record commercials? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-18-2007, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A coworker of mine states he has a Pioneer DVR purchased out of Canada that doesn't record commercials. It senses some sort of prompt he describes as a dot flash on the screen prior to the commercial break followed by two flashes when the commercials are over. I've never heard of such a thing nor can I find any reference to it on the web. What gives?
I remember a feature from years ago on a vcr that would sense something in the vertical blanking interrupt and pause for a predetermined amount of time as there was no cue to resume recording after a commercial.
-Ward

There's room for ALL of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-19-2007, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward216 View Post

I remember a feature from years ago on a vcr that would sense something in the vertical blanking interrupt and pause for a predetermined amount of time as there was no cue to resume recording after a commercial.
-Ward

Can't help yo with the Pioneer, but the old ReplayTV 50xx boxes, I don't know about the new computer systems, would sense the transition from show to commercials and back by the presence of a black screen. Since it's only about 80% accurate (at least in my experience) it actually records the commercials but skips them on playback. I think some of the older VCR's used a similar system, but haven't seen anything sold recently. BTW, you can only get the ReplayTV boxes used, they've gone totally to computer interfaces.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page