direct-tv and panasonic dmr-eh75v - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-10-2007, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi -

I just joined and I hope somebody can help me. I searched the forums and didn't really find a answer to my questions.

I am going to be getting direct-tv satellite service and would like to continue to use my dmr-eh75v with it. I consulted the manual and is looks to me like an over the air antenna is required to collect the TV Programming guide information. Is this true?

If so, I'm back to using the DVR like an old fashioned VCR, i.e. program recording by channel number, start time, and end time. No TV Guide, no VCR+ codes, etc. I live in a valley where there is virtually no over the air signal.

I'm wondering if there are other options for this to work.

Any suggestions or pointers to other informatoin would be welcomed.

Thanks!
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-10-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggior View Post

Hi -

I just joined and I hope somebody can help me. I searched the forums and didn't really find a answer to my questions.

I am going to be getting direct-tv satellite service and would like to continue to use my dmr-eh75v with it. I consulted the manual and is looks to me like an over the air antenna is required to collect the TV Programming guide information. Is this true?

If so, I'm back to using the DVR like an old fashioned VCR, i.e. program recording by channel number, start time, and end time. No TV Guide, no VCR+ codes, etc. I live in a valley where there is virtually no over the air signal.

I'm wondering if there are other options for this to work.

Any suggestions or pointers to other informatoin would be welcomed.

Thanks!
Rich

The EH75 is designed to work with DirecTV receivers, getting its TVG info via the L1 input, I believe.

Here's a good post with detailed instructions on setting up with a DirecTV receiver.

Here's a page of DirecTV receivers that work with the EH75.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 9 Old 06-11-2007, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

thank you!!! I really appreciate the quick response.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-11-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

thank you!!! I really appreciate the quick response.

When you get set up and IF you don't like the Panny searching all your channels for TVG info constantly or regularly, there's apparently a way to force it to search ONLY the Host Chan...the one that your area uses for TVG downloads.

Here's a thread on that procedure and code to use.

Check out Posts 3 and 4 for a question and answer on how to find out which channel is the "Host Chan" for your downloads, which you need to know in advance for the procedure.

|
|
|
post #5 of 9 Old 06-11-2007, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

The link for the detailed instructions actually talk about connecting to a digital cable box. Are there instructions like that for connecting to DirecTV?

It's good to know that there is hope that this set up will work.

Thanks!

[quote=wabjxo]The EH75 is designed to work with DirecTV receivers, getting its TVG info via the L1 input, I believe.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-11-2007, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry to create another post. But, I thought it would be good to get specific about what is confusing me.

The manual shows setting it up on IN3. That's OK, but what I'm confused about is they show a cable being connected to the RF input on the EH75V that is "cable from wall or antenna signal". Is this outdated information? If I don't need an over-the-air signal to get program guide info, it seems that it is.

Can I take the RF output from the DirecTV box and connect it there?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Rich

[quote=maggior]The link for the detailed instructions actually talk about connecting to a digital cable box. Are there instructions like that for connecting to DirecTV?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

The EH75 is designed to work with DirecTV receivers, getting its TVG info via the L1 input, I believe.

post #7 of 9 Old 06-11-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

[quote=maggior]Sorry to create another post. But, I thought it would be good to get specific about what is confusing me.

The manual shows setting it up on IN3. That's OK, but what I'm confused about is they show a cable being connected to the RF input on the EH75V that is "cable from wall or antenna signal". Is this outdated information? If I don't need an over-the-air signal to get program guide info, it seems that it is.

Can I take the RF output from the DirecTV box and connect it there?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Rich

Quote:

The link for the detailed instructions actually talk about connecting to a digital cable box. Are there instructions like that for connecting to DirecTV?

Thanks!

Sorry about the bad link (to a cable setup), but there is SO MUCH talk about setting up a EH55/75 (same setup for both)....

Anyway, your question on the RF input reminded me of a post by someone who had success only after he connected that RF cable from the STB to the EH55/75.

I couldn't find a "definitive" answer so the best I can do is refer you to the LONGGGG thread on the EH55 (same setup) in which there is much discussion of setting TVGOS up with cable and sat.

Many people seemed to have a problem in the early days but many found it was in the data source and the new system for satellite users, not their units.

|
|
|
post #8 of 9 Old 06-11-2007, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I think I made it more complicated that it needed to be.

I have no connections made to the RF input, just connected the svideo cable to IN3, went through the setup, and it started loading everything up. During the setup, you are asked what input the STB is connected to. Those that are capable of collecting guide info are marked with an asterisk. IN3 was one of them.

I have to return the STB because the IR sensor is shot - even the remote doesn't work well with it. But it doesn't need the IR sensor to be able to collect program info. :-)

I'll post back here again once it is all totally up and running with the new STB. It should make good info for the archives.

BTW, the STB is a DirecTV D12-300. The TVGOS webiste didn't list this as either supported or not suported. So far it seems to work OK.

Thanks to those that chimed in.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-15-2007, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I got my replacement box from DirecTV and I am up and running. It couldn't have been simpler to set up.

Here is my setup:
- DMR-eh75V (of course)
- DirecTV D11-500C Satellite Receiver (note - different from the D12 they gave me originally).

Connections (here is where you toss the manual and ignore Panasonic's website)
- s-video out from D11 to s-video in on the IN3 jack of the eh75v
- Common audio out jacks to the TV
- TosLink cable to my Yamaha receiver for surround sound.
- GLink cable (IR Blaster) connected to eh75v and positioned in front of the D11's IR sensor.
- Component video to Sharp Aquos TV

NOTE - absolutely NO RF input connections. It can't get any simpler. The only relevant connections for TV guide are the s-video connection and the GLink cable (IR Blaster).

Now, go through the TV guide setup.

I forget the order, but you need to tell it:
- The connection is via IN3
- Channel input is done with no leading 0's and there is no need to hit select.
- Your zip code
- That it is a DirecTV box. You will then be walked through codes to determine which ones will operate the D11.

Once you are done with that and you go to the status screen, you will find that everything has completed except for collecting the program guide info. You will also notice that the channel lineup isn't correct - it starts in the 200 range.

To fix this, start the TV guide setup again. On the opening screen (I think it is there), it will have a choice for "everything is OK, but my channel lineup is not correct". Check this and continue. You will then be asked if the settop box handles 2 and 3 digit channels, 3 digit channels only, or none of the above. Tell it 2 and 3 digit channels. Once this is completed and you go back to the TV Guide program guide screen, you will see all of your channels 2 - whatever listed.

Now you are done. Turn it off for 24 hours and you will find it will start collecting program guide data :-).

I'm pretty sure that this would have worked OK with the D12 too. I had it to the point where it had collected channel data but it couldn't collect program data because it couldn't change channels due to a defective IR sensor.

Good Luck.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page