With the July 1 Cable Card dead line, are there any HD DVR options to TWC's PVR? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Gaming & Content Streaming > Digital Recorders (PVRs) General > With the July 1 Cable Card dead line, are there any HD DVR options to TWC's PVR?

Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Ronald K's Avatar Ronald K
09:06 PM Liked: 10
post #1 of 17
06-19-2007 | Posts: 610
I think it is the 8300HD that I have and it is very buggy.

Will Tivo or an other company have a cable card unit that I can buy myself and replace TWC's?
wajo's Avatar wajo
09:33 PM Liked: 142
post #2 of 17
06-19-2007 | Posts: 14,089
fizzle just answered this same question in another thread.
Ronald K's Avatar Ronald K
08:18 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 17
06-21-2007 | Posts: 610
It appears that the special icontrol features on the cable box are not available on the TIVO
demonfoo's Avatar demonfoo
04:34 PM Liked: 22
post #4 of 17
06-22-2007 | Posts: 1,272
Once you have TiVo, you probably won't miss them anyway. I certainly don't.
optivity's Avatar optivity
01:49 PM Liked: 12
post #5 of 17
06-24-2007 | Posts: 10,907
Beginning July 1, 2007; Cable TV companies are required to provide support for devices equipped with two-way capable CableCARD slot(s). Support for this new generation of equipment means those devices will be able to connect to the Cable MSOs network and be authorized to use any two-way services (e.g. program guide, PPV, on-Demand, etc.) that a customer is subscribed to. With Cable TV companies migrating their channels over to SDV, two-way CableCARDs are a very important development.

Cable companies will still be able to lease their security integrated STBs & currently there is no two-way w/CableCARD capable A/V device. However, this should change reasonable soon.
bicker1's Avatar bicker1
05:49 PM Liked: 11
post #6 of 17
06-24-2007 | Posts: 8,289
Do be aware that that statement is actually factually inaccurate. Cable service providers are already required to provide support for devices equipped with one-way capable CableCard slot(s) and no current regulation, going into effect on July 1, 2007, or later, for that matter, will require support for devices equipped with two-way capable Cable Card slot(s).

Therefore, there is no currently-delineated regulatory relief forthcoming with regard to SDV.
bicker1's Avatar bicker1
04:28 AM Liked: 11
post #8 of 17
06-25-2007 | Posts: 8,289
Another poorly-written article. You do seem to find such inaccuracies quite adroitly. The truth is that they will have to stop shipping any NEW set-tops that don't support CableCard by July 1st. They can continue to ship used set-tops that don't support CableCard, as long as they wish.
04:51 AM Liked: 12
post #9 of 17
06-25-2007 | Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity View Post

Beginning July 1, 2007; Cable TV companies are required to provide support for devices equipped with two-way capable CableCARD

Cable companies will still be able to lease their security integrated STBs

This is what my local Time Warner telephone support representative told me yesterday.

Quote:

currently there is no two-way w/CableCARD capable A/V device

bicker1's Avatar bicker1
05:27 AM Liked: 11
post #10 of 17
06-25-2007 | Posts: 8,289
Even support representatives are human. There is nothing in the regulation driving the July 1, 2007 date (or any current regulation, for that matter) that has anything to do with two-way capable CableCards.
ready71's Avatar ready71
03:52 PM Liked: 10
post #11 of 17
07-06-2007 | Posts: 41
I picked up a SA 8300HDC from Time Warner in Albany, NY. Unfortunately, the box is still running the horrible SARA (1.90.5.a101) software.

It looks exactly like the 8300HD, except for the cover on the back that has the CableCard. According to the SA website, the specs are the same.

One thing I noticed is when you bring up the channel guide and choose a new channel, the TV flashes the current channel for 1/2 a second, goes to the new channel, but freezes for 1/2 a second before the new show starts playing.
09:52 PM Liked: 12
post #12 of 17
07-06-2007 | Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald K View Post

I think it is the 8300HD that I have and it is very buggy.

Will Tivo or an other company have a cable card unit that I can buy myself and replace TWC's?

Yes, the 8300HDC DVR is available @ your local Time Warner Cable Company. I picked one up today.
RussB's Avatar RussB
01:41 PM Liked: 10
post #13 of 17
07-12-2007 | Posts: 2,180
. . .

From the very early specifications and draft standards, the CableCARD module has been a two-way device. That is, it included the functionality to enable two-way communication on the cable plant. This two-way communication is necessary for a variety of advanced cable services including video on demand (VOD), switched digital video (SDV), interactive services and applications.

The media has frequently reported that first-generation CableCARD 1.0 modules are one-way devices. This is simply not true. CableLabs had always intended to develop the CableCARD module and host receiver standards with two-way capability. However the manufacturers of digital TVs requested that a host standard be developed that only had one-way capability. This one-way cable-ready receiver was defined by the FCC's Plug & Play order and by the Joint Test Suite (JTS). It is the definition of this one-way receiver that lacks the ability for two-way functionality, not the CableCARD module. While the FCC defined the elements of the one-way cable-ready receiver, CableLabs continued to define specifications for two-way receivers.

When a CableCARD 1.0 module is used with a two-way receiver (e.g., Samsung HLR5067C) that card supports all the necessary two-way functionality for VOD, SDV, and other interactive services.

. . .

http://www.opencable.com/primer/cablecard_primer.html

This article is very good and there is a lot more information that I didn't include.

Click the link below for an article from the FCC requesting comments about two-way features on cable systems (Note: It is in a PDF format):

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-07-120A1.pdf
RussB's Avatar RussB
02:06 PM Liked: 10
post #14 of 17
07-12-2007 | Posts: 2,180
ready71, optivity,

Are there any new features in SARA 1.90.x.x on the SA8300HDC that are different than in SARA 1.89.x.x?

Does SARA 1.90.x.x include the new features of 1.89.x.x?

To see the new features of 1.89.x.x, click on SARA in my signature and look near the bottom of the post at the "New Features - 1.89.x.x" section. I am interested in the following features:
Quote:

* NEW Flag now displayed in IPG (displays on date/time line in Menu and on last line of Program Description). Note: requires Tribune Data Version 2, otherwise all programs may be listed as NEW.

Quote:

* Recording future-dated episodes provides options for those wanting to record episodes other than First Run, but not all rerun episodes:
On this channel this day in this time slot
On this channel at any time
On this channel any day in this time slot

Comcast Houston is on SARA 1.88.25.1 and I am wondering if I exchange a SA8300HD for a SA8300HDC will I get these features?

Thanks
05:34 AM Liked: 12
post #15 of 17
07-13-2007 | Posts: 10,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB View Post

ready71, optivity,

Are there any new features in SARA 1.90.x.x on the SA8300HDC that are different than in SARA 1.89.x.x?

Does SARA 1.90.x.x include the new features of 1.89.x.x?

To see the new features of 1.89.x.x, click on SARA in my signature and look near the bottom of the post at the "New Features - 1.89.x.x" section. I am interested in the following features:

Comcast Houston is on SARA 1.88.25.1 and I am wondering if I exchange a SA8300HD for a SA8300HDC will I get these features?

Thanks

I took a look last night per your request, but could not determine what, if any, of the new features you have referred to for the 8300HDC with SARA software version: 1.90.5.101. If you can "dumb things" down a wee bit more regarding how to display the feature list, I will check again.
RussB's Avatar RussB
04:19 PM Liked: 10
post #16 of 17
07-13-2007 | Posts: 2,180
Currently there is no new feature list for 1.90.x.x.

If someone has a list of new features for 1.90.x.x, it would be great if they would post it. It may turn out to be that the only new feature is cable card support.

In the meantime, I am interested in the following two features that I mentioned in my last post.

Quote:

* NEW Flag now displayed in IPG (displays on date/time line in Menu and on last line of Program Description). Note: requires Tribune Data Version 2, otherwise all programs may be listed as NEW.

Do you see "NEW" displayed in the IPG if the program is new?

Quote:

* Recording future-dated episodes provides options for those wanting to record episodes other than First Run, but not all rerun episodes:
On this channel this day in this time slot
On this channel at any time
On this channel any day in this time slot

Do you see the "On this channel this day in this time slot" menu option when you set a program to record "All episodes"? Note: The key words are "this day"

Both of these features are in 1.89.x.x but are NOT in 1.88.x.x. I am trying to determine if 1.90.x.x used 1.89.x.x as a base and I think if these two features are in it then it did. It should be fairly easy to determine if these two features are in 1.90.x.x.

Thanks

Quote:

I took a look last night per your request, but could not determine what, if any, of the new features you have referred to for the 8300HDC with SARA software version: 1.90.5.101. If you can "dumb things" down a wee bit more regarding how to display the feature list, I will check again.

SonyAteMyBaby's Avatar SonyAteMyBaby
06:10 PM Liked: 10
post #17 of 17
08-05-2007 | Posts: 298
TWC Milwaukee tried to give me a 8300HDC this weekend because they thought my 8300HD was to blame for tiling/blocking. After the first 8300HDC was DOA and the second never completed the guide download they gave me a refurbed 8300HD. Of course, they couldn't get me my old box so I lost all my schedules and saved recordings. All of that for nothing, still tiling and blocking away.

Are the people at TWC ALL morons or it just the ones that I end up dealing with?
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Subscribe to this Thread