New DVR's from Cable Companies on July 1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Based on what I have read, it seems to me that the cable companies will have to provide Set Top Boxes that use Cable cards. Here is a quote from a PC Magazine article:

"Beginning July 1, if a consumer wants a new cable set-top box, a cable company will have to supply him one with a slot for a special PC Card, known as a CableCard."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2151734,00.asp

Does anyone have any news on what the various cable companies are going to be offering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-29-2007, 03:51 AM

Liked: 11
That information is in error. PC Magazine would have been well-advised to come here to AVS Forum and do a little research before publishing that.

All that is happening on July 1 is that cable companies can no longer place into service NEW (unused) set-top boxes without separable authentication (CableCard). They can, however, place into service, USED set-top boxes without separable authentication. Customers are not entitled to demand a new box. As long as they have used boxes to place back into service, they can continue to place them back in service.

Comcast actually ran some sweetheart promotions this Spring to put as many of the previous-generation boxes into customer homes as they could before the deadline (and from many reports, they were quite successful, running out of boxes in some areas). These were generally three month promotions, at the end of which it is likely that many of these boxes would be returned to Comcast, at which time Comcast can redeploy these boxes at the regular price.

Eventually, however, due primarily to the fact that customers will want more and more set-top boxes as time goes on, they will need to deploy NEW boxes to the field, and so the box manufacturers have redesigned their existing products to support CableCard. For Motorola, they're replacing the DCT-series with the DCH-series. As far as we know now, the only difference between the two series is that the DCH-series has CableCard support -- nothing else.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-05-2007, 12:27 PM

Have any companies started releasing consumer boxes that support CableCards?

Does anyone have any info on whether or not PVR cards will be available with support for CableCards? I've got a MythTV box running at home, but I can't get any digital channels on it without getting a dedicated cable box. Would love it if there was a PC card that could use CableCards.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-06-2007, 04:16 AM

Liked: 11
TiVo released its Series 3, in the middle of last year.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-06-2007, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

I picked up a SA 8300HDC from Time Warner in Albany, NY. Unfortunately, the box is still running the horrible SARA (1.90.5.a101) software.

It looks exactly like the 8300HD, except for the cover on the back that has the CableCard. According to the SA website, the specs are the same.

One thing I noticed is when you bring up the channel guide and choose a new channel, the TV flashes the current channel for 1/2 a second, goes to the new channel, but freezes for 1/2 a second before the new show starts playing.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-06-2007, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnavarrojr View Post

Would love it if there was a PC card that could use CableCards.

I remember reading about some PC's that were either out or would be soon with cablecard slots. They were very expensive (> $2,000).
post #7 of 7 Old 07-06-2007, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Yes, and from what I've read those OCUR-"equipped" PCs don't actually work worth a damn. Worse yet, Microsoft knew this and certified at least a few of them anyway. There was an article on MaximumPC's site about it. Score one for MS and CableLabs, eh?
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page