SA 8300HD Vs. 8300HDC - Differences other than cable card? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 07-25-2007, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I was just wondering if anyone has any information regarding the differences between the 8300HD and the 8300HDC boxes? I know that the HDC supports the new Cable Card mandate by the FCC and that the cable card in the box will handle the decoding of premium/digital channels.

But other than that, are there any differences or advantages (maybe even disadvantages?) of the 8300HDC over the 8300HD? Is it worth trying to get an 8300HDC to replace an 8300HD with a manufacture date of March 2007?

I appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-28-2007, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Houston, Texas Comcast SA 8300HD DVRs Guide S25 Phase 1 with Patch
There is not a simple answer to your question. If you have TWC with Passport, you may wind up with Digital Navigator on the new 8300HDC. If you have an old version of SARA (1.88.x.x), you may wind up with SARA (1.90.x.x) which may have the features of SARA (1.89.x.x). If anyone can verify this please do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodwel1 View Post

Hello. I was just wondering if anyone has any information regarding the differences between the 8300HD and the 8300HDC boxes? I know that the HDC supports the new Cable Card mandate by the FCC and that the cable card in the box will handle the decoding of premium/digital channels.

But other than that, are there any differences or advantages (maybe even disadvantages?) of the 8300HDC over the 8300HD? Is it worth trying to get an 8300HDC to replace an 8300HD with a manufacture date of March 2007?

I appreciate the help!

post #3 of 19 Old 08-13-2007, 07:21 AM

I am by no means an A/V expert, but I was browsing the web and found this forum. Brighthouse Networks in Orlando (loosely affiliated with TWC) delivered the 8300HDC to my house last week. We have been experiencing problems with the DVR recording reliably and the box has frozen up on us 3 times in a week. Brighthouse was out at my house this morning and the technician said they have received numerous compliants about the 8300HDC. Apparently, all issues are software related. I can't tell you which software is being used on the box. Brighthouse gave us an 8300HD as a replacement for the 8300HDC.
post #4 of 19 Old 09-07-2007, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wengerlaw View Post

I am by no means an A/V expert, but I was browsing the web and found this forum. Brighthouse Networks in Orlando (loosely affiliated with TWC) delivered the 8300HDC to my house last week. We have been experiencing problems with the DVR recording reliably and the box has frozen up on us 3 times in a week. Brighthouse was out at my house this morning and the technician said they have received numerous compliants about the 8300HDC. Apparently, all issues are software related. I can't tell you which software is being used on the box. Brighthouse gave us an 8300HD as a replacement for the 8300HDC.

Did this fix your problem

Before you throw the hand grenade of bitterness, don't forget to remove the pin.
post #5 of 19 Old 09-10-2007, 10:55 PM

I got one last week and we get drop outs and lose our buffer.. hope to get it replaced on Wednesday... with this previous model.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-27-2007, 09:37 AM

I have two HDTV sets. The one in the living room is using the 8300HD box and looks great. My new set is in the bed room and is using the 8300HDC box.

My question is, should the 8300HDC box show on the LED "HDTV" when on a HD channel just like the 8300HD box does? If so that may explain why my new set doesn't look as crisp as the one in the living room.

All the channels display in 1080i and I connect using HDMI cables on both sets.

Any help will be appreciated.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 AM

I can't speak for the 8300HD, but I have an 8300HDC and there are only a few gripes. First, using HDMI output to your television, your optical/coax audio outputs will no longer pass Dolby Digital 5.1 - you are stuck with Pro Logic 2. Also, you have to choose between HDMI or Component - no component output to DVD-R or Blu-Ray burner if you are using HDMI.

Secondly. and this has a lot to do with Comcast's OnDemand system, the SA 8300HDC really dislikes it when you make erroneous button presses while using OnDemand. I have had it crash twice in four days and the only way to fix the hang issue was to unplug the entire unit.

The 8300HDC DOES have Firewire outputs which are only disabled while watching OnDemand or HBO etc. This makes it easy to output a raw, digital A/V signal to your computer for compression and archiving.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-17-2007, 09:10 AM

I have a 8300HD upstairs, and just installed a 8300HDC downstairs. On the HDC the menu system lags -- there is a delay changing channels -- as compared to the HD. Also, there seems to be problems with programming the DVR to record TV series, and setting a program to record after watching the first part of the program live. Seems like some glitches. So, I am hoping I can take the HDC back and get a 8300HD instead.

Are there any features in the HDC that are actually better than the HD?

For one, I notice that the HDC allows the user to program different shades of 4x3 borders. But who cares? I use black borders anyway!
post #9 of 19 Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

I am ready to replace the second HDC with a third in two weeks.

Nothing works. And I mean nothing!

What the hell was TWC thinking when they released this box?

Total total CRAP
post #10 of 19 Old 11-20-2007, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 157
My HDC crashes constantly. The Lag is also TERRIBLE. Whether it is changing channels or going through menus it's a very unpleasant experience. There are also multiple glitches when recording. If you try to watch a recorded program in progress it will sometimes freeze or just decide to stop recording. My box is rebooting as we speak and that takes forever as well. The only good thing to come out of it is that I can watch 4:3 programming with black bars on the side rather than gray but other than that its quite pitiful.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-04-2008, 08:49 PM

since getting the 8300hdc after using the 8300hd, i've noticed a few things:

1 - long lag times
2 - Audio issues - The audio cuts out for 4 seconds every hour or so. My stereo, connected through the HDMI cable, reads "no signal". When something is DVRed and i rewind, the audio gap is recorded. Also, when i record certain channels, like National Geo HD, the recorded copy doesn't have any audio. If i pause or rewind, or don't watch it live, it loses audio.
3 - also, on NatGeoHD, i hear DTMF signals during commericals.

All of this started w/ the new box. I've called Comcast and they've reset the box, and eventually gave me a new one. Same issues... I got this box because they told me the firewire is turned on. it is, but they turned on the broadcast flag on every channel so i can't record anything except except recorded material.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-22-2008, 03:26 AM

Maybe the C stands for crap. I was excited to upgrade to the HDC as I assumed it would come with a better TV guide and recording features but now I'm just terrified that I will ever receive one.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-14-2008, 09:54 AM

My problem with the HDC (I'm on TWC) is that when I turn on the STB and it is on an HD channel, it will initially only output the HD channel in 480i (and the display on the front of the STB will display as such).

I have to either change the channel a few (arbitrary) times up or down or manually type in an HD channel (7-0-5) and then it will "switch" back to outputting 720p or 1080i....

VERY frustrating.

EDIT:
(I just found a thread that explains that I might need to change my picture settings on the HDC to UPCONVERT1, though I think I did this already)

I want FIOS.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-09-2008, 06:40 PM

Any body know of any programs that will lett me tranfer files from the 8300hd to a pc?
post #15 of 19 Old 04-12-2008, 04:52 AM

I live outside Orlando and recently had to swap out my SA8300HD and I received an 8300HDC. The HDC is a HUGE step backwards. Besides the fact that it takes close to 5 minutes to boot, there is a 4+ second changing channel delay, slow FF speeds, broken/digitized recordings and intermittent freezes and there is no way to set the priority when recording a season pass. That's all Brighthouse will give at this point and it is so bad that I am having DirecTV installed today.
post #16 of 19 Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 PM

i have twc in nyc, and i had 2 8300HDC boxes, with the navigator menu system, today i went and swapped them for 2 8300HD boxes. big mistake. the picture quality in SD sucks so badly with the 8300HD compared to the HDC. i had swapped to the 8300HD boxes to get the passport menu system which i like better, but the picture quality is so bad that it is not worth it. i am swapping both boxes back to 8300HDC boxes tomorrow, it is worth dealing with navigator to have the good picture quality. the HD signal even seems worse with these 8300HD boxes. i am using a samsung HL61A750, and a sony bravia kdl 40V4150, both connected with hdmi. there is a reason they are upgrading everyone to the 8300HDC boxes!
post #17 of 19 Old 07-11-2009, 02:38 AM

I'm late to the thread, but I just received an 8300HDC for a 8300HD that quit (hard drive problem, unit was getting very hot so maybe a fan (if there's one in there)). Here's the differences I've seen so far (Time Warner Cable, New York (Poughkeepsie)):

1. Boot is much slower

(Looks like the software is different, there's some stuff about OCAP, Esmeric, Java, then a Mystro count down that lasts a very long time. The diag screen (hold the select button until the mail+wing icon flashes, then the down key on the remote) shows EISS in it's header screens, not SARA or similar). Says Mystro for varying amounts of time, but they're all longer than the older unit.

2. Fast Forward or Back Skip 15 minutes functions no longer work

On the older unit, if you pressed the right arrow by going FF, you would skip to the next 15 minute interval. That does not work on the 8300HDC. Supposedly, if you hold the FF key for 2 seconds, it will go forward 15 minutes, that similarly does not work for me.

3. Unit now shows capacity left (%)

This is kind of handy, and I don't remember it on the older unit.

4. Picture quality seems to be a bit better

Might just be different boxes, but the unit does seem to do a little better at showing pictures, almost like they're clearer, in some instances. Yes, I know it's digital. This is through HDMI to an AVR and a 52" LCD.

5. However, Picture will sometimes show artifacts, or temporary lock ups

The picture, in general, seems more lock up or error prone. I'll see occasional blocks of bad data, or even the screen will stop for a couple of seconds, usually when I'm first tuning into a channel.

6. Time to move from channel to channel and see a picture is way up

I have to say this is maybe a bit hard to describe, but the info bar, if anything, comes up more quickly, whereas the picture itself can take 1-2 seconds to come up properly, it's black during that period. Audio usually shows up first. But scanning channels is much impeded on the newer units.

7. External Drive Problems

I have not been able to sort out how to hook the external drive to the 8300HDC yet. I had one that worked fine on the older unit, but the newer one, although it sees it, doesn't seem to want to format the drive. Locks up and reboots attempting to do it.

8. Remote Problems

This one is a bit hard to describe, so bear with me. I should note, that even though I brought in the remote for the old unit that had died, they gave it back to me. I found that kind of odd, I work in the computer industry, we usually swap out everything, but anyway the remote had been working OK, and I use a Harmony most of the time anyway, so no big deal. However, what I do notice is that when I use the remote, the 8300HDC seems to be some odd combination of more sensitive or maybe more accurately lagging in responsiveness. If I hit the channel up button, and wait for the unit to display the next channel, it frequently switches up 2 or 3 channels. If I just hit it once quickly, and wait, then the unit just switches one channel. And so on.

Paul Jones
post #18 of 19 Old 03-17-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post

I'm late to the thread, but I just received an 8300HDC for a 8300HD that quit (hard drive problem, unit was getting very hot so maybe a fan (if there's one in there)). Here's the differences I've seen so far (Time Warner Cable, New York (Poughkeepsie)):

1. Boot is much slower

(Looks like the software is different, there's some stuff about OCAP, Esmeric, Java, then a Mystro count down that lasts a very long time. The diag screen (hold the select button until the mail+wing icon flashes, then the down key on the remote) shows EISS in it's header screens, not SARA or similar). Says Mystro for varying amounts of time, but they're all longer than the older unit.

2. Fast Forward or Back Skip 15 minutes functions no longer work

On the older unit, if you pressed the right arrow by going FF, you would skip to the next 15 minute interval. That does not work on the 8300HDC. Supposedly, if you hold the FF key for 2 seconds, it will go forward 15 minutes, that similarly does not work for me.

3. Unit now shows capacity left (%)

This is kind of handy, and I don't remember it on the older unit.

4. Picture quality seems to be a bit better

Might just be different boxes, but the unit does seem to do a little better at showing pictures, almost like they're clearer, in some instances. Yes, I know it's digital. This is through HDMI to an AVR and a 52" LCD.

5. However, Picture will sometimes show artifacts, or temporary lock ups

The picture, in general, seems more lock up or error prone. I'll see occasional blocks of bad data, or even the screen will stop for a couple of seconds, usually when I'm first tuning into a channel.

6. Time to move from channel to channel and see a picture is way up

I have to say this is maybe a bit hard to describe, but the info bar, if anything, comes up more quickly, whereas the picture itself can take 1-2 seconds to come up properly, it's black during that period. Audio usually shows up first. But scanning channels is much impeded on the newer units.

7. External Drive Problems

I have not been able to sort out how to hook the external drive to the 8300HDC yet. I had one that worked fine on the older unit, but the newer one, although it sees it, doesn't seem to want to format the drive. Locks up and reboots attempting to do it.

8. Remote Problems

This one is a bit hard to describe, so bear with me. I should note, that even though I brought in the remote for the old unit that had died, they gave it back to me. I found that kind of odd, I work in the computer industry, we usually swap out everything, but anyway the remote had been working OK, and I use a Harmony most of the time anyway, so no big deal. However, what I do notice is that when I use the remote, the 8300HDC seems to be some odd combination of more sensitive or maybe more accurately lagging in responsiveness. If I hit the channel up button, and wait for the unit to display the next channel, it frequently switches up 2 or 3 channels. If I just hit it once quickly, and wait, then the unit just switches one channel. And so on.

Any improvement in your situation with the HDC? I am experiencing a lot of the same problems with mine (TWC in Kansas City) and have been considering taking it back for anothe, thinking it's a problem with my DVR, but it sounds like it's a mfg. or programming problem with many of them.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-07-2010, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What are the chances of still getting an 8300HD from TWC now?

I'm having MAJOR problems trying to get an external drive hooked up to the HDC. Just a huge pain.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific." - Michael Caine, on Jaws the Revenge
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page