Dish DVR 522 drivers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have the drivers or know how so I could connect my pc to the usb port on the Dish Network DVR 522 to transfer videos?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-28-2007, 10:10 AM

Hey there,

I just finished a 15 month tenure at Echostar, parent company of Dish Network. I was a TSRIII, the most advanced tech agent you get before begging to speak with a supervisor :P

Twas a miserable work environment, and I am truly grateful that I no longer report to those evil bastards! (Thank god for a BS degree!) I suspect DirecTV treats their employees similarly, and I know plenty of people who hate working for Comcast, so this is neither here nor there. I just wanted to get it off my chest

As for the 522/625 DishDVR (it's the same *exact* thing with a different number printed on the chassis), it appears that the only way you can get video from this thing is to use the DishPVR, which is a rebranded Archos line of personal vid players.

People would always ask me about exporting video to PC, and I almost never insulted them by suggesting they buy an overpriced, underfeatured Archos player. Rather, I'd usually suggest a capture card.

Recently, I found that with the release of the ViP722 dual tuner HD reciever on August 15 (MY BIRTHDAY!!!), this would mark the beginning of a new use for the USB port. The 722 (and the 622 with a costly software upgrade ), from what I've heard will be the first to use the USB port as a means for connecting to an external HDD.

So the 722 has 50 hours HD recording capacity, and the 622 only 20. To combat the fact that people are bummed about low HD recording space, the external HDD can back up these programs, but there is a catch. Let's say you record a program in HD on either of these recievers; if you want to back it up, you must *transfer* the recording to the external device. This is to say, you can only have one copy of each recording, either on the Dish Reciever or on your external HDD. The problem with this is that you cannot watch straight from the extra HDD, but the program must be copied back to the reciever's internal HDD. Major hassle!

The only redeeming thing here is that you can take the recordings on an external HDD to any similarly equipped reciever on the same account, allowing for a little extra flexibility.

AFAIK, this won't apply to the SD DVRs, simply because you guys aren't paying enough to justify the software engineers' time in building the new feature, and your capacity isn't nearly as limited because SD video is so much smaller.

The 622 is available for less than free in the Dish'n it Up lease upgrade promotion through Aug 14, and then the promotions change along with the release of the 722. I understand that the 622 software upgrade to enable the USB port will cost $39.99!

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can assist you with any more Dish questions, I'm sure my answers will be up to date for at least the next 23 minutes :P
post #3 of 7 Old 07-30-2007, 10:49 AM

I have a dish 622 and an non dish archos. Is there a way to hack the archos to record the dish recordings? Thanks
post #4 of 7 Old 08-10-2007, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatupdun View Post

Hey there,

I just finished a 15 month tenure at Echostar, parent company of Dish Network. I was a TSRIII, the most advanced tech agent you get before begging to speak with a supervisor :P

Twas a miserable work environment, and I am truly grateful that I no longer report to those evil bastards! (Thank god for a BS degree!) I suspect DirecTV treats their employees similarly, and I know plenty of people who hate working for Comcast, so this is neither here nor there. I just wanted to get it off my chest

As for the 522/625 DishDVR (it's the same *exact* thing with a different number printed on the chassis), it appears that the only way you can get video from this thing is to use the DishPVR, which is a rebranded Archos line of personal vid players.

People would always ask me about exporting video to PC, and I almost never insulted them by suggesting they buy an overpriced, underfeatured Archos player. Rather, I'd usually suggest a capture card.

Recently, I found that with the release of the ViP722 dual tuner HD reciever on August 15 (MY BIRTHDAY!!!), this would mark the beginning of a new use for the USB port. The 722 (and the 622 with a costly software upgrade ), from what I've heard will be the first to use the USB port as a means for connecting to an external HDD.

So the 722 has 50 hours HD recording capacity, and the 622 only 20. To combat the fact that people are bummed about low HD recording space, the external HDD can back up these programs, but there is a catch. Let's say you record a program in HD on either of these recievers; if you want to back it up, you must *transfer* the recording to the external device. This is to say, you can only have one copy of each recording, either on the Dish Reciever or on your external HDD. The problem with this is that you cannot watch straight from the extra HDD, but the program must be copied back to the reciever's internal HDD. Major hassle!

The only redeeming thing here is that you can take the recordings on an external HDD to any similarly equipped reciever on the same account, allowing for a little extra flexibility.

AFAIK, this won't apply to the SD DVRs, simply because you guys aren't paying enough to justify the software engineers' time in building the new feature, and your capacity isn't nearly as limited because SD video is so much smaller.

The 622 is available for less than free in the Dish'n it Up lease upgrade promotion through Aug 14, and then the promotions change along with the release of the 722. I understand that the 622 software upgrade to enable the USB port will cost $39.99!

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can assist you with any more Dish questions, I'm sure my answers will be up to date for at least the next 23 minutes :P

Thanks for all the info. So even if someone had the drivers, they couldnt transfer video from any of the sish DVR's? (assuming you could obtain them anyway)
post #5 of 7 Old 08-10-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap ouT View Post

Thanks for all the info. So even if someone had the drivers, they couldnt transfer video from any of the sish DVR's? (assuming you could obtain them anyway)

That's correct. It's the box itself that needs the appropriate drivers and firmware support. That's what determines what you can and can't do.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-05-2007, 06:26 PM

So once it's copied to the HDD, couldn't I just convert to an ISO file and burn it to a DVD?
post #7 of 7 Old 07-15-2008, 02:59 PM

pvrexporer works great

Sodakjones
hay catch this capacitor i just charged.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page