Directv DVR questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 08-01-2007, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got the current Directv DVR installed in my home. I noticed it has a USB port on the back of it and would love to be able to get my recordings off of it onto my pc.
2 questions:
1) What is the brand/model for Directv's current DVR? (non-HD)
2) Is there any way to use the USB to hook the DVR up to my pc and get the files transfered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-07-2007, 11:43 AM

I also would like to know...as I'm about to order DirecTV's HD service.

Samsung LNT5265 1031/1009
PS3 --> HDMI
Xbox 360 Premium --> HDMI
HTPC --> DVI to HDMI
Audio Receiver and Surround Sound coming soon
post #3 of 20 Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No, you cannot. Content providers don't like to see their content redistributed over the Internet. Providers that facilitate that by redistribution allowing unprotected file copying will lose that content.

That said, if you got the newest HR20 DVR, you can upgrade the hard drive capacity with an external eSATA hard drive. DirecTV doesn't officially support that feature yet, but if you add a 500Gb or 750Gb drive, it will replace the built-in 250Gb drive. Best Buy has the Hitachi 1Tb drive on sale.
post #4 of 20 Old 08-08-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

No, you cannot. Content providers don't like to see their content redistributed over the Internet. Providers that facilitate that by redistribution allowing unprotected file copying will lose that content.

That said, if you got the newest HR20 DVR, you can upgrade the hard drive capacity with an external eSATA hard drive. DirecTV doesn't officially support that feature yet, but if you add a 500Gb or 750Gb drive, it will replace the built-in 250Gb drive. Best Buy has the Hitachi 1Tb drive on sale.

So this would allow me to me record from my direcTV Tivo, onto the External drive, then I could hook up the drive to my computer and do what I want with the recorded shows?

Is there a guide on how to do this...? And will it work with mpeg4?

PS3 --> HDMI
HTPC --> DVI to HDMI
post #5 of 20 Old 08-08-2007, 06:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R View Post

So this would allow me to me record from my direcTV Tivo, onto the External drive, then I could hook up the drive to my computer and do what I want with the recorded shows?

No, all recordings are encrypted.

You should just forget about copying file recordings to the PC because that is not going to happen with DirecTV. If you want to record, you'll have to do it the old fashioned way, i.e. connect s-video or composite video to your PC, press play on the DVR, and press record on the PC to record at 1x speed in SD resolution.

If the ability to transfer file recordings -- at least, for local channels -- is important to you, then you need to go back to cable and get a TivoHD once the TivoToGo update is out.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-08-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:

No, all recordings are encrypted.

You should just forget about copying file recordings to the PC because that is not going to happen with DirecTV. If you want to record, you'll have to do it the old fashioned way, i.e. connect s-video or composite video to your PC, press play on the DVR, and press record on the PC to record at 1x speed in SD resolution.

If the ability to transfer file recordings -- at least, for local channels -- is important to you, then you need to go back to cable and get a TivoHD once the TivoToGo update is out.

A coworker told me that it's pretty easily done with a DirecTV Tivo unit...

PS3 --> HDMI
HTPC --> DVI to HDMI
post #7 of 20 Old 08-08-2007, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A coworker told me that it's pretty easily done with a DirecTV Tivo unit...

I don't know about easily, but yes, it is doable with the now-discontinued DirecTivos.

However, DirecTV has adopted MPEG-4 for all new channels, including all high-definition locals. The DirecTivos don't support MPEG-4.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-08-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:

I don't know about easily, but yes, it is doable with the now-discontinued DirecTivos.

However, DirecTV has adopted MPEG-4 for all new channels, including all high-definition locals. The DirecTivos don't support MPEG-4.

So when are they implementing this? Does DirecTV have to build new boxes when mpeg4 debuts? I've heard that all the DirecTV non-Tivo DVRs suck...

PS3 --> HDMI
HTPC --> DVI to HDMI
post #9 of 20 Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So when are they implementing this? Does DirecTV have to build new boxes when mpeg4 debuts? I've heard that all the DirecTV non-Tivo DVRs suck...

They already have. All DirecTV HD STBs and DVRs released in the past two years support MPEG-4. HD locals currently use MPEG-4. All the new channels -- which you've probably seen advertised on TV -- use MPEG-4.

DirecTV stopped manufacturing the last of the DirecTivos about two years ago. You may recall that DirecTV was purchased by News Corp; News Corp had their own own subsidiary company (NDS) with STB/DVR software, so they began using that rather than paying Tivo $1/mo per box to use their software. News Corp recently 'sold' DirecTV to Liberty Media, and Liberty Media has a stake in Tivo, so it is possible we will see new MPEG-4 Tivos on DirecTV next year.

The DirecTV DVRs only 'suck' if you are accustomed to the functionality and usability of the latest Tivo software. Most people who've never used a modern Tivo will be more than satisfied with the latest DirecTV DVRs.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-09-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:

The DirecTV DVRs only 'suck' if you are accustomed to the functionality and usability of the latest Tivo software. Most people who've never used a modern Tivo will be more than satisfied with the latest DirecTV DVRs.

If you don't mind audio dropouts, video dropouts, screen freezes, audio stuttering, inaccurate trickplay - to name just a few.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-09-2007, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohns View Post

If you don't mind audio dropouts, video dropouts, screen freezes, audio stuttering, inaccurate trickplay - to name just a few.

Have you used an HR20 recently? I don't think it's nearly as bad as it used to be.

Moreover, with DirecTV, you're comparing it against relatively old DirecTivo hardware running an outdated version of the Tivo software that is missing most of the more recent usability and performance enhancements. Newer Tivos like the S3 (for cable) have twice the CPU performance, a faster system bus, a faster hard drive, plus the 8.3.x software which significantly improved menu and guide responsiveness. The DirecTivos are pretty slow by comparison.

It's possible DirecTV under Liberty Media ownership will produce a Tivo DVR with modern hardware and a newer version of the software, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it to come soon.
post #12 of 20 Old 08-10-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Have you used an HR20 recently? I don't think it's nearly as bad as it used to be.

Yes, I have. How else would I know it now has 2 second outages of video and audio? I don't subscribe to the "There's not as much smoke coming from the computer room as there used to be."

Each version upgrade seems to bring a new bug. In the past I thought being patient was the thing to do. But a year later and if you check the posts from one year ago, you'll see audio dropouts and stuttering complaints everywhere way back then. It still has the same problem. Should it take a year to fix?

I agree, it is not as bad as it used to be. But going from missing recordings entirely to just cutting off the end of them is in a way, worse. At least when I missed them entirely I could watch it the next episode. But now you watch the whole show and when the ending comes up, you find the HR20 stopped recording it. And I'm tied to it for another year.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-21-2007, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How is the video/audio quality of the new HR20? This will be my first DirecTV with DVR and I'm used to a newer HD Sony DirecTV/OTA HD receiver.

Will the quality be just as good coming from the hard drive as it is from my Sony receiver?

Also, are there any other models of the DirecTV DVR other than the HR20?

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #14 of 20 Old 08-22-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have read that the video quality is very close to about the same as any other DVR out there, with the exception of all the problems this unit has. Seems to me that DirecTV needs to allow other companies to make DVR units for DirecTV.

This is what happens when there is no competition.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #15 of 20 Old 08-22-2007, 11:33 AM

Hello all!! A newbie to the world of HDTV and Directv.

I started with the hr20-100 upon the install and the darn box would nto turn on. It took all of a half hour to get going. Then I asked for a replacement cuz the darn thing kept freezing on me. They sent a refurb that turned on. Then they did the stupidest thing and sent me another replacement box that I did nto need and this one is the 700 model NEWLY MANUFACTURED ON 6/27/07.

Now I am confused. when I get home, which should I hook up and what are the REAL differences between the newly manufactured 700 and the refurb 100. I CANT BELIEVE THEY HAVE REFURBS ALREADY ON THE 100...

Thanks fella
post #16 of 20 Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Remember, you don't actually own the box. By paying $200-$300 for it, you are buying the right to lease it. When you cancel service, it must be returned to DirecTV.

The HR20-100 and HR20-700 are functionally the same. Both are manufactured by different companies in different countries.
post #17 of 20 Old 08-23-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Remember, you don't actually own the box. By paying $200-$300 for it, you are buying the right to lease it. When you cancel service, it must be returned to DirecTV.

I have never had this happen with Directv. I have canceled service twice and have never been asked to return a box. I've thrown away 3 outdated receivers. I have given away 2 Directivo receivers to friends without any issues other than my friends needing to request new access cards.
post #18 of 20 Old 08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post

I have never had this happen with Directv. I have canceled service twice and have never been asked to return a box. I've thrown away 3 outdated receivers. I have given away 2 Directivo receivers to friends without any issues other than my friends needing to request new access cards.

They just started that policy 12-18 months ago, IIRC. It wouldn't apply to receivers purchased before then.

It improves their balance sheet.
post #19 of 20 Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 AM

bfdtv, you seem like you have a lot of knowledge, so here goes: So I have the DirecTV HR20-700. And I want to record HDTV and standard TV to my iMac. Why couldn't I record from the HDMI out (is that MPEG-4 Layer 2 or MPEG-4 Layer 10 (H.264)?) of the DiretTV? Is it because that out needs to be converted to a signal I can input to my iMac? Couldn't I use an HDMI to USB/Firewire 'converter'? I was looking at the EyeTV 250 Plus that was just released. Hardware encoding at Mpeg 2 OR software encoding at Mpeg4. But the inputs from the DirecTV-out to the Plus-in need to be the inferior RCA composite or S-Video. Though with this product, I can record HD over-the-air signal via a BNC coaxial connection to the EyeTV. At any rate, I'd like to have the best-possible-quality resulting file on my iMac. Would that be MPEG4 at H.264? Then, to splice and dice via iMovie and then burn DVD's (back to MPEG 2, right?)....Thanks for any help, direction and answers. A complete newby at this but I know this can be done.
post #20 of 20 Old 08-24-2007, 03:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

bfdtv, you seem like you have a lot of knowledge, so here goes: So I have the DirecTV HR20-700. And I want to record HDTV and standard TV to my iMac. Why couldn't I record from the HDMI out (is that MPEG-4 Layer 2 or MPEG-4 Layer 10 (H.264)?)

HDMI is an encrypted connection for uncompressed video.

From satellite dish to receiver, you have an encrypted, DVB or DVB-S2 modulated signal containing all the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 feeds. Once that signal enters the box, the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 feeds are demodulated from the coax and decrypted. Those decrypted MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 feeds are then decoded (i.e. uncompressed) by the Broadcom chip in the STB or DVR. The result is a 1.0Gbps signal, which is then encrypted and output over HDMI.

Quote:

of the DiretTV? Is it because that out needs to be converted to a signal I can input to my iMac? Couldn't I use an HDMI to USB/Firewire 'converter'?

There is no such thing. There is no MPEG signal of any kind on a HDMI cable. The uncompressed bitstream on HDMI is several times greater than Firewire and USB can support.

Some older STBs could be hardware-modified to add a Firewire output, which would output the MPEG-2 bitstream data before it was decoded (i.e. uncompressed). Unfortunately, none of those hacks work with DirecTV's more recent MPEG-4 hardware.

Once the content is encrypted on that HDMI cable, there isn't much you can legally do with it. There is illicit hardware out there that will remove the encryption on HDMI signals, but then you are faced with the prospect of storing Gbps of digital video on your PC. At 450 gigabytes per hour, that would require a massive storage array with tens of terabytes to be of much practical use.

There are some more affordable solutions to record component via HD, but even then, you are looking at $1000-$1500 in new hardware plus a new high-performance computer to do that.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page