comcast dvr letter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 08-02-2007, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"Dear Valued Comcast Customer" (yeah right)

"We have important information affecting the price of your Digital Video Recorder (DVR) service from Comast. Due to the increased investments we're making in technology, and to bring you the best products and value we can offer, we are adjusting our prices. Effective September 3, 2007, the monthly charge for High-Definition DVR service will increase from $9.95 to $12.95.

Comcast regularly enhances and updates our DVR service in order to provide you the best new features. Right now, we're building the next generation DVR services and DVR-specific interactive guides. If you have questions please call us at 1-800-Comcast..."

So, for the hell of it I called to find out what the "increased investments" are. Of course I didn't get an answer, but I did get a promise to receive a call back next week. Frankly, I would have respected a "we're raising prices because we're the only HD DVR game in town" letter a lot more. I hate comcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-02-2007, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Most Comcast service areas got the increase from $9.95 to $11.95/mo last spring. You got a few months extra at the old rate, and in exchange, you get to pay $1/mo more.
post #3 of 23 Old 08-03-2007, 06:35 AM

Liked: 11
Actually, it's been a while since this fee was increased. An increase was overdue.
post #4 of 23 Old 08-03-2007, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

Actually, it's been a while since this fee was increased. An increase was overdue.

Do you work for comcast? Just checked out your most recent posts and the majority seem to be saying the same thing about the rate increase. So, why was it overdue? They claim in the letter it's due to increased investments in technology. What new DVR technology have they increased investment in? What new service is the customer receiving?
post #5 of 23 Old 08-03-2007, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread23 View Post

Do you work for comcast? Just checked out your most recent posts and the majority seem to be saying the same thing about the rate increase. So, why was it overdue? They claim in the letter it's due to increased investments in technology. What new DVR technology have they increased investment in? What new service is the customer receiving?

Bicker is right that an increase was probably overdue. Getting a $480 DVR for $9.95/mo was pretty good deal. It's still a good deal at $12.95/mo.

All cable companies continually invest in new equipment and infrastructure to upgrade and improve their systems to support new channels and/or faster broadband speeds. The cost of that investment was already factored into your previous bill. Comcast may have accelerated their capital spending, and felt it was time to pass some of that cost on to the customer. Or perhaps it was just part of management's plan to help meet their revenue targets for the next quarter.

Either way, look for a number of new HD channels on Comcast in the next 3-4 months.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-04-2007, 05:19 AM

Quote:

Do you work for comcast? Just checked out your most recent posts and the majority seem to be saying the same thing about the rate increase.

No, I don't work for Comcast, and never did. I simply don't brook with "the majority" thinking they have an unrebutted soap-box from which to launch spurious, ill-supported and reckless aspersions, just because it is "chic" to be angry with "The Man" (in this case, the cable company). You'll note that on some issues, I am against Comcast's position. For example, I want MA to allow companies wishing to offer cable service in the state to be able to get licensed by the state, instead of having to be licensed by each individual town. That is something that Comcast is working hard to defeat.

Quote:

So, why was it overdue?

Did you get a cost-of-living increase this year at work?

Quote:

They claim in the letter it's due to increased investments in technology.

That reads nice, doesn't it?
post #7 of 23 Old 08-04-2007, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I simply don't brook with "the majority" thinking they have an unrebutted soap-box from which to launch spurious, ill-supported and reckless aspersions, just because it is "chic" to be angry with "The Man" (in this case, the cable company).

Please show me where I launched a spurious, ill-support and reckless aspersion. I posted the letter and asked what technology they've invested in that resulted in the increase (their claim, not mine). No one has answered. Instead I've been the subject of a baseless accusation from someone seemingly on a moral crusade to educate us neophytes that the big bad cable company isn't really that bad.

After I asked my question I did state that I hate comcast; and you know what, I do hate comcast. I hate the fact that this corporate behemoth is doing all it can to protect it's monoply in many areas, arguing that eliminating their monopoly will eliminate the value they're able to provide their consumers. All the while they send out smarmy letters 'explaining' rate increases. This isn't the only rate increase I experienced this year and each time there is some generic explanation for it.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-04-2007, 10:53 AM

J: You were talking about "the majority" and I was also talking about "the majority" you were referring to. Don't take things so personally.

Regarding the letters: PR requires an explanation, but PR also dictates what can and cannot be included in such letters. People (consumers) are flaky, so the explanations provided to them are commensurately flaky.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-05-2007, 05:28 PM

I have FIOS and the DVR box is $12.95 to start with.

Comcast in the DC area has raised rates for everything quite often. Unless you are getting a new guide in your area soon, there shouldn't have been a rate increase.

A $3 increase is a lot.

FIOS is getting a new guide soon but I haven't heard of an increase yet. I hope FIOS comes you guys town soon. Competition is a good thing.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-05-2007, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Wish we had FIOS, but where we live, we're lucky to even have cable modems/Internet access and digital cable.

Where we are, the local city council (a board of 4 or 5 people) decided on which ONE cable company to go with (i.e. to get stuck with), which supplies service to the whole town. At one time it was Time Warner...but that got bought out by Charter Communcations...which then, in this one area of the state of PA, got bought out by some obscure (at the time) cable company called Atlantic Broadband. I consider us to be lucky to even have 7 HD channels. Sometimes I wish we did have Comcast...other areas of PA do. At least they have a decent selection of HD programming.

We've had some kind of increase in prices for our cable service at least once a year for the past few years now...the most recent just a couple of months ago. With all the talk about new cable boxes with CableCards, etc. I expect we'll get stuck with another increase to cover that, too. (I like the HD DVR we have, thanks very much.)

I guess how good, or how bad, one's situation is all depends on one's perspective.

I agree...competition IS a good thing. Right now there's just 1 show in town, and we don't have a choice in the matter. Kinda sucks.
post #11 of 23 Old 08-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Bicker is right that an increase was probably overdue. Getting a $480 DVR for $9.95/mo was pretty good deal. It's still a good deal at $12.95/mo.

I would agree as long as you had the OPTION to buy your own and then not have to pay for the service. But the DVR service is probably such a cash cow, they'll never do that. They'd lose out on all the ads they slip in, the viewing habits information they use and doubtlessly sell, and a myriad of other revenue streams. I prefer to be milked first thing in the morning and then again in the afternoon. Moo.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-05-2007, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyman View Post

I have FIOS and the DVR box is $12.95 to start with.

Comcast in the DC area has raised rates for everything quite often. Unless you are getting a new guide in your area soon, there shouldn't have been a rate increase.

A $3 increase is a lot.

FIOS is getting a new guide soon but I haven't heard of an increase yet. I hope FIOS comes you guys town soon. Competition is a good thing.

FiOS just recently raised the rate on the FiOS DVR from $12.99 to $15.99.

The nice thing about FiOS increases is that they don't impact existing customers or existing customer equipment. Earlier this year, FiOS increased the cost of their full digital package from $39.95 to $42.99. Customers who subscribed at the $39.95 rate haven't seen an increase. The same goes for the DVR; customers who added the DVR when it was $12.99 aren't hit with the $15.99 increase. This is true even for customers who pay month-to-month (no commitment).
post #13 of 23 Old 08-08-2007, 03:19 PM
mjn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

FiOS just recently raised the rate on the FiOS DVR from $12.99 to $15.99.

The nice thing about FiOS increases is that they don't impact existing customers or existing customer equipment. Earlier this year, FiOS increased the cost of their full digital package from $39.95 to $42.99. Customers who subscribed at the $39.95 rate haven't seen an increase. The same goes for the DVR; customers who added the DVR when it was $12.99 aren't hit with the $15.99 increase. This is true even for customers who pay month-to-month (no commitment).

Great, by the time it gets to my town it will be too expensive. We need some competition.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

I wish they would invest in a better guide!
I have been recording Closer, Heartland, Damages, and Saving Grace, New episodes only. Because the TV Guide marks all instances of an episode on TNT and Fx as 'new' (Replay TV doesn't), my recorder fills up rapidly with a lot of duplicates. Since I am going out of the country for a month, I had to schedule the recordings on the Replay so I would be able to get them all....
post #15 of 23 Old 08-09-2007, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaxel View Post

I wish they would invest in a better guide!
I have been recording Closer, Heartland, Damages, and Saving Grace, New episodes only. Because the TV Guide marks all instances of an episode on TNT and Fx as 'new' (Replay TV doesn't), my recorder fills up rapidly with a lot of duplicates. Since I am going out of the country for a month, I had to schedule the recordings on the Replay so I would be able to get them all....

That plus limited storage capacity is why I got a Tivo Series3 and now a TivoHD.
LL
post #16 of 23 Old 08-09-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I think there is an upgrade (improvement) to FIOS' guide forthcoming.

I seem to remember reading that somewhere here recently.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-09-2007, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I think there is an upgrade (improvement) to FIOS' guide forthcoming.

I seem to remember reading that somewhere here recently.

It is largely an aesthetic upgrade with improved responsiveness. It has just about the best-looking guide available right now. All FiOS customers should have it by the end of August.

http://promo.verizon.com/img/

Unfortunately, the DVR functionality is largely unchanged (aside from customizable padding, one-hour pause, and configurable skip forward and skip back) and they're still using the same guide data provider. Still, it is looks much nicer than the Comcast interface and is more responsive too.
post #18 of 23 Old 08-27-2007, 03:07 PM

I would gladly take Comcast over Brighthouse Networks any day of the week. If you think Comcast is bad look at Brighthouse and see how good you have it.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-28-2007, 06:08 AM

or Knowlegy, or TWC, or Cox, or Dish Network, etc. The point is that the industry, as a whole, has a service model based on its pricing model (i.e., low). If all the suppliers are doing the same thing, it is more likely that none of them are doing it wrong.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

That plus limited storage capacity is why I got a Tivo Series3 and now a TivoHD.

So I've actually been thinking about this... I've used Tivo up until I had to get HD Cable from comcast, then I got their DVR box.. thinking how bad can it be? Well, it sucks ****. So now I'm considering the HD Tivo... is it easy to hook up? any hastles? do Ihave to have comcast do anything to it or will it work out of the box?
post #21 of 23 Old 08-29-2007, 04:15 AM

The TiVo S3 and HD require CableCards from your cable company in order to work with full TiVo (read: program guide/season pass) functionality with digital channels. Well over 90% of TiVo S3 and HD owners report eventually getting it to work, but there are a lot of us who had a lot of trouble getting to that point.
post #22 of 23 Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:

How is it that in Southeastern CT, where there is now competition from a local cable company, Comcast drops its rates by 30% the exact time the competition turns up its service. The increase is strictly for extra profits.
post #23 of 23 Old 09-01-2007, 05:11 AM

Isn't profit what corporations are in business to generate?
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page