Which cables should I use for video/audio? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-16-2007, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey I just got a DVR this morning, an 8300 or something. Hopefully I'm posting in the right forum...anyway, the guy put a coaxial cable in for audio/video and kind of ran out the door so I couldn't ask questions. I put an optical cable in the DVR for the sound part since I know that's the best option but I don't know about video. Is composite video better than the coaxial cable for video? And if it is, i know s-video is even better, but I don't know if i want to take out the s-video cable from my xbox 360 and switch it for the DVR.

I just wondered this because the guy didn't even ask if I wanted a better video/audio connection or anything...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
If you have a HDTV, use HDMI or component.

If you have a SDTV, the order of preference is generally component -> s-video -> composite -> coax. It may be necessary to change the output settings for component before you can use it, so I would start with s-video.

If your display has component, I would use that for the Xbox. If your display only has s-video and composite, then I would probably use s-video for the Xbox and composite for the DVR.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-16-2007, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Yea I have an SDTV so I guess I'll go with composite.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-28-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

If you have a HDTV, use HDMI or component.

So, is there a noticable difference between Component and HDMI? Currently I'm using component... HDMI cables are kinda spendy so I don't want to drop 40 bucks if I'm not going to notice the difference.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-28-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian7724 View Post

So, is there a noticable difference between Component and HDMI? Currently I'm using component... HDMI cables are kinda spendy so I don't want to drop 40 bucks if I'm not going to notice the difference.

It depends on your display.

Digital display technologies like SXRD, LCD, and DLP do tend to benefit from an all-digital (HDMI) connection. Older CRT projection displays generally do not benefit. Be aware that the settings to achieve the same picture with HDMI and component are different, so if you tweaked your settings for component, you'll have to re-tweak for HDMI.

Note you can get a high-quality HDMI cable from Monoprice.com for about $15. If you need a length of 3', then their $4 cable should work just as well. There is no need to spend more than $20 on a HDMI cable.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-28-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

It depends on your display.

Digital display technologies like SXRD, LCD, and DLP do tend to benefit from an all-digital (HDMI) connection. Older CRT projection displays generally do not benefit. Be aware that the settings to achieve the same picture with HDMI and component are different, so if you tweaked your settings for component, you'll have to re-tweak for HDMI.

Note you can get a high-quality HDMI cable from Monoprice.com for about $15. If you need a length of 3', then their $4 cable should work just as well. There is no need to spend more than $20 on a HDMI cable.

I have the Aquos 46 inch banding extrodinare model. Thanks for the info on the cable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page