Are there any standalone DVR Boxes to record on you can buy WITHOUT a monthly charge? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 10-20-2007, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9707 View Post

Heres what I found and it has 2 HD tuners its the Humax 9200 but unfortuneatly its only sold in the UK and elsewhere. Makes me so mad its exactly what I'm looking for but as one person said its not profitable because people dont realize the potential of these products heres the link for those interested and maybe its already been talked about b4.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/global/p.../pvr-9200t.asp

Hmm would that unit work (be able to record programming with manual timers) on a NTSC Standard definition TV in the USA?

It mentions it also has a program guide, is that optional to use? and also would I even be able to get the guide since its a UK box and I live in the USA?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 10-20-2007, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afogleson
Quote:

You can look at the sony HDD-250 or HDD-500. The former is a 250GB model the later is a 500GB model. Niether requires any service fee at all. Of course some caveats...

1) There is no current solution to allow you to drop a second drive in the 250 to increase capacity.
2) Sometimes the TV guide that is "downloaded" is not correct. More often than I like but I put up with it for no cost per month.

with the bad aside the good is...

1) Also allows QAM tuning of unencrypted cable.
2) Has a cable card slot to also get the encrypted. (works quite nicely)
3) OTA works great since I do a fair share of OTA vs cable so that I get an uncompressed stream instead of cables compressed stream.

Al

afogleson / ALL -

AHhh.. that sounds intereting.

Some questions tho:

1. About the downloaded tv guide, assuming I wanted to use one of those units with a digital cable box (Standard definition btw), do I NEED to dl the program guide (since my cable already has one and I'm OK with manually setting start /stop times like on a VCR)

2. Also where do you dl it from? a phone jack? something over the air?

3. Also, to clarify, these units can pick up Over the air programs?
DO you need some kind of antenna (rabbit ears) for that?
How is the video quality tho of the over the air channels?
(not the quality of the recordings of them but just the quality of the OTA channels themselves.)

**These questions didn't get answered before so I'm reposting them
;-D **
post #33 of 39 Old 10-20-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhowerter View Post

Hmm would that unit work (be able to record programming with manual timers) on a NTSC Standard definition TV in the USA?

No.

Quote:
It mentions it also has a program guide, is that optional to use? and also would I even be able to get the guide since its a UK box and I live in the USA?

No. In the UK, free guide data is widely available. In the U.S., manufacturers have to pay to license it.
post #34 of 39 Old 10-20-2007, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

1. About the downloaded tv guide, assuming I wanted to use one of those units with a digital cable box (Standard definition btw), do I NEED to dl the program guide (since my cable already has one and I'm OK with manually setting start /stop times like on a VCR)

The Sony product replaces the cable box. It does not work with a cable box.

If you want to use it with digital cable, you will probably need a CableCard from your cable company.

Quote:

The guide data is downloaded over the airwaves. It is not available in all areas. If you live in a major market, you can probably get guide data.

Quote:

3. Also, to clarify, these units can pick up Over the air programs? DO you need some kind of antenna (rabbit ears) for that?

Yes, you need an off-air antenna. I use the Channel Master 4221.

Quote:

How is the video quality tho of the over the air channels?
(not the quality of the recordings of them but just the quality of the OTA channels themselves.)

That depends on the affiliates in your area. The quality is obviously far superior to analog, but not all broadcasters produce equal quality when it comes to high-definition.

Keep in mind these discontinued Sony units sell for $600-$800 on Ebay. They are single-tuner units, so you cannot record two different programs at the same time, nor can you record one channel while you watch another. You can record a program while you watch another previously recorded program.

In contrast, the $250 TivoHD is a dual-tuner unit. It will record two different SD or HD programs simultaneously, at 100% quality, while you watch a third, previously recorded program. Of course, Tivo is only able to offer the box at cost because they require a subscription. Add $300 for a prepaid three-year subscription or $600 for a six-year subscription.
post #35 of 39 Old 10-21-2007, 11:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
If your TV has tuners, you can split the incoming signal between the TV and the Sony and watch whatever your TV tuners can receive while recording something else on the Sony.
post #36 of 39 Old 10-23-2007, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

The Sony product replaces the cable box. It does not work with a cable box.

If you want to use it with digital cable, you will probably need a CableCard from your cable company.

The guide data is downloaded over the airwaves. It is not available in all areas. If you live in a major market, you can probably get guide data.

Yes, you need an off-air antenna. I use the Channel Master 4221.

That depends on the affiliates in your area. The quality is obviously far superior to analog, but not all broadcasters produce equal quality when it comes to high-definition.

Keep in mind these discontinued Sony units sell for $600-$800 on Ebay. They are single-tuner units, so you cannot record two different programs at the same time, nor can you record one channel while you watch another. You can record a program while you watch another previously recorded program.

In contrast, the $250 TivoHD is a dual-tuner unit. It will record two different SD or HD programs simultaneously, at 100% quality, while you watch a third, previously recorded program. Of course, Tivo is only able to offer the box at cost because they require a subscription. Add $300 for a prepaid three-year subscription or $600 for a six-year subscription.

Hmm, so if the Sony unit replaces the Cable box, will the SOny unit be able to receive/tune all the channels I currently get (including local channels and premium movie channels) and also will it be able to do On Demand like my cable box? (that is, play / rewind/ fast forward lots of various shows/movies that Comcast offers and then streams (I think ) direct to the cable box and your TV)

What exactly is this CableCard you mentioned and what does it do?

Oh and btw, I only have a Standard definition TV if it makes any difference to any of your answers .

post #37 of 39 Old 10-23-2007, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmm, so if the Sony unit replaces the Cable box, will the SOny unit be able to receive/tune all the channels I currently get (including local channels and premium movie channels) and also will it be able to do On Demand like my cable box? (that is, play / rewind/ fast forward lots of various shows/movies that Comcast offers and then streams (I think ) direct to the cable box and your TV)

No box except that provided by the cable company can do On Demand.

You can think of CableCard as an access card. It tells your box what channels you are authorized to receive; it also tells the box what QAM channels correspond to what channel numbers in your program lineup. CableCards are provided by the cable company at your request (sometimes it requires a $1.50 - $3.00/mo fee), as required by FCC mandate.

I'm sure you've heard of the $250 TivoHD. It also accepts and uses CableCards, except it has dual tuners instead of a single tuner like the Sony.
post #38 of 39 Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

If your TV has tuners, you can split the incoming signal between the TV and the Sony and watch whatever your TV tuners can receive while recording something else on the Sony.

All -

Hmm could I split the incoming signal between the Cable Box AND the Sony?

That way I could DVR stuff on the sony without losing On Demand (which I assume I could then do on the Cable box, yes?)

post #39 of 39 Old 10-28-2007, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

All -

Hmm could I split the incoming signal between the Cable Box AND the Sony?

That way I could DVR stuff on the sony without losing On Demand (which I assume I could then do on the Cable box, yes?)

You don't need to split the incoming feed since the Sony (and all DVDRs w/o a VCR that have an RF out...check that on the Sony) has a RF passthru...whatever signal is coming in goes straight out to a downstream STB and/or TV.

Some DVDRs (maybe all) have an "active" passtrhu, which means that, as long as they're plugged in (don't have to be ON), the RF signal gets amplified slightly so there isn't any loss in the passthru...and maybe a little boost in signal strength.

Using the passthru allows each component that has tuners to tune independently, and with a separate output to the TV, both components can be watched independently.

If any of your channels are scrambled, you'd still need the STB, but even then, running the incoming feed into the Sony first allows it to tune unscrambled channels while providing the same incoming signal downstream to the STB and TV without any signal loss...which you would definitely have with a splitter. To record scrambled channels, just run a line connection between the STB and the Sony.

Connecting the Sony and the STB to the TV separately allows each to tune and watch independently.

The Sony would NOT have to be on to watch TV directly or thru an STB.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page