How bad is Comcast DVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-10-2007, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

In order to get HDTV I need to get Comcast. I am currently a Directv customer but due to trees am unable to get HD from them. However they are going to charge me a cancellation fee! Another story I guess...

My question is I am used to the directivo units and since Comcast New England cannot tell me when they are getting the tivo enabled cable boxes, I am stuck with whatever DVR they give me, how bad is it?? My wife loves Tivo, will we be able to live with it for a while? I'm really nervous about switching but really want HD.

If anyone in the new England area, specifically New Hampshire, can they tell me what a typical monthly bill for 2 dvr plus HD might cost. Currently i pay $100 to Directv including sports channels.

Thanks all for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Just get a TiVo HD ($250 or so online if you look around) and get CableCARDs from Comcast; no one knows when the TiVo software for the Moto DVRs will actually make it into public hands, though they keep promising and pushing it back.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 PM

I find the Comcast DVR boxes to be sluggish and buggy compared to my Tivo. I'm not impressed. They do work though.

I second Demonfoo's recommendation of getting an HD Tivo and a couple Cable Cards.

"I'm not lying. I'm writing fiction with my mouth." - Homer Simpson
post #4 of 11 Old 10-11-2007, 12:31 AM

today our comcast dvr rebooted and wiped all recorded shows. looking at a tivo series 3 now.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-11-2007, 05:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsale View Post

How bad is Comcast DVR?

Not as bad as many people would like you to believe.

I have both a Comcast Motorola 3416 and a TiVo Series 3, so I compare the two, side-by-side, practically every day. Each has its strong points, and each has its weak points. The TiVo is substantially more expensive, especially up-front, yet it is not "substantially" better. The Motorola box works, with several quirks that you might find annoying.

Quote:

My question is I am used to the directivo units and since Comcast New England cannot tell me when they are getting the tivo enabled cable boxes, I am stuck with whatever DVR they give me, how bad is it??

Do keep in mind that even once we do get the TiVo software on the Motorola DVR, that that won't make it into a TiVo. It'll be better than it was, but not as good as a real TiVo. While Comcast won't commit (and neither will I), I bet we can count on being offered the TiVo software pretty-soon.

Quote:

If anyone in the new England area, specifically New Hampshire, can they tell me what a typical monthly bill for 2 dvr plus HD might cost.

Sorry, I'm in Mass. Do be aware that you cannot use two Motorola DVRs in the same room. The remote controls are not addressable.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 08:41 AM

Can't tell you how much the prices are in your neck of the woods. But if you spend enough time on the phone with Comcast, you may be able to get the boxes for $1.99 each, for the first year. I believe the normal price is between $7 and $13 a month each.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 PM

I have gone through at least 4 Motorola DVR's in the last 3 years with Comcast and Cox. I think its due to heat issues. When they are new or just plugged in and cool they work quite well and are pretty fast but after a few hours of heavy use (recording 2 HD signals while watching a 3rd) they get slow, you'll press a button and get no response, so you end up pressing it 3 or 4 times thinking that the controller wasnt aimed right, next thing you know you just skipped 3 minutes into the show you were trying to start watching. Then one day your box will just stop recording. You will still be able to watch live tv with it but you will have to replace it.

The positive thing is that you can call and have someone bring a box to you in a few days or go to a place and get a replacement on the spot.

I'm in Maryland and pay 130 a month for internet and tv/dvr. I get all the normal digital cable channels but the only HD ones are the local + HBO.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-05-2008, 06:14 AM

I cannot believe how mant threads there are about Comcast DVRs and problems with them. I've been irritated that they stuck me with one that only has component and DVI outputs (I'd prefer HDMI), but maybe I shouldn't complain because I've had no real issues with it yet.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-05-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post

I cannot believe how mant threads there are about Comcast DVRs

That has a lot to do with how many people are subscribers of Comcast's service.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-13-2008, 08:50 PM

The 8300 only passes decoded closed caption on the HDMI output, no other I/F. The 8300 decoder is very poor, e.g. all I get is garbage on the "Nadia...Wardrobe" HD movie I'm watching now on the ABC Family Ch in Reston, VA. On non-HD channels it sometimes works ok, and sometimes is very flaky. I bet if I use the component I/F and let my 52" Mitsubishi decode the CC it will be excellent - that's what happened on my old Sony 36" WEGA set. Problem here is the HDMI I/F, by spec I guess, doesn't pass the raw CC so it is either get the great picture of HDMI or degrade it and get good CC. BOOOOOOO on Comcast and Sci Atl both.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-14-2008, 03:58 AM

When folks trash the Comcast Motorola DCx DVRs I always laugh because I know how much worse the SA 8300HDC is by comparison. I feel for you, dblevins.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page