Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 10-25-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello group..
New to this so hoping for some insight!

Currently I have Time Warner cable in Austin TX. I have the Explorer 8300HD DVR and it is currently connected to my main TV with the component connections. I want to put a small wall mounted HD flat panel on my sun porch. I has been suggested to me to make this connection via the HDMI connection and running a cable (around 30') through the wall and across the ceiling to the sun porch. Sounds great since it would carry video and audio..Does anyone know if I would be able to watch the main TV through the component and the remote TV hooked to the HDMI at the same time(I know they would be on the same program)? I have never had anything connected to the HDMI output on the box so I don't even know if it is active.

Thanks so much for your help..
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-26-2007, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
The SA8300HD doesn't support component and HDMI at the same time, you can only connect one of those two for HD output. However it does offer simulataneous downconverted SD output on the three SD outputs (RF,composite,s-video) while HD output is available on component or HDMI.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-26-2007, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

The SA8300HD doesn't support component and HDMI at the same time, you can only connect one of those two for HD output. However it does offer simulataneous downconverted SD output on the three SD outputs (RF,composite,s-video) while HD output is available on component or HDMI.

Well isn't that a bummer..Any suggestion on how to do this? Can you connect both and not run them together(Turn off the main TV and run the other one and vice/versa) or do you actually have to go into the box setup and tell it to switch from HDMI to component? Being the two areas are adjacent I was hoping to have both running together but sounds like I can't. I guess the only other choice would be to run both TV's on HDMI and split that somehow with a box of some sort?

Thanks,
John
post #4 of 7 Old 10-26-2007, 06:07 AM

I moved from HDMI back to component because I got my hd DVD player. I had both hoooked up and it played on only the hdmi until I removed the hdmi then the component came on.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-27-2007, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats correct HDMI will override the component output so you have to physically disconnect the HDMI cable to get component video output from the SA8300HD. There is no menu item to select the active HD output unfortunately.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-29-2007, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

Thats correct HDMI will override the component output so you have to physically disconnect the HDMI cable to get component video output from the SA8300HD. There is no menu item to select the active HD output unfortunately.

Would I be better to skip running HDMI and run component? Seems like it is a lot cheaper to split component than HDMI and I didn't realize they made component cables that long so I could probably just run a 50' component cable, is that run length ok? I would then need to find some device to split the component signal coming from my cable DVR then to my big TV and the remote tv..

Thanks again..This is way more complicated than I thought. If the rooms were not in earshot of each other I would just run the TV cable to the new TV on the Sun porch but the audio lag would drive me nuts..I actually could run just a video feed to the porch as I have speakers from the living room sound system so that might simplify my situation a bit with not having to run the audio..But maybe it would be better just to run them both since I am doing it just in case.

John
post #7 of 7 Old 10-30-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

There are active powered component video splitters but they are somewhat expensive. You can use good coax cabling for longer runs its 75ohm.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page