I must skip commercials, moving to HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-01-2007, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Mainly I'd like ideas on how to proceed with this new phase of my tv viewing life

I've had DISH for many years and I've used a replaytv 5040 to record and never ever see a commercial unless I chose to. the replay has the added bonus of letting me download shows and edit them on my PC.

Now I'd like to move to HD. but looking around at PVR offerings, I'm stuck looking at the crippleware from Dish Network. There doesn't seem to be anything good out there.
I've seen the TivoHD but in the fine print on their website, it says it will not work with sattelite!!!
Then there is the media center from MS, but I still have to read up on it to see if it's even viable.

I have two criteria that I must have:
1- Must skip commercials
2- Must have the ability to download shows to a PC

can someone give me some pointers on where to look? Or if this is even possible?

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-01-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you want to skip commercials automatically, you are probably going to be limited to a HTPC solution and local channels.

If a 30-sec skip button is good enough for you, then Dish Network's 622/722 DVRs have that. DirecTV's DVR does not have 30s skip, but it does have a 30s slip, which is a more commercial-friendly version of 30s skip.

Only the TivoHD and Series3 for OTA and cable let you download recordings to your computer.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-02-2007, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, your response sharpens my focus and give me a direction to sail in.

I have a question. As I have no hands on experience with HD, I'm wondering how things connect. Currently I take the signal out of my DISH receiver and input it into my replay tv. Is it not possible on HD to take the signal out of the dish receiver and input it into the tivoHD? Is it a different paradigm for connections with HD?

Regards
post #4 of 5 Old 11-02-2007, 01:26 PM

Unless you want to spend upwards of $20 a month just for TiVo, I'd recommend that you build yourself a DVR out of a PC. The issue of being able to download to a PC (from a DVR) also tells me you should just do all of your recording on a PC. I'd post a query in a forum geared to doing this to find out the specifics of hardware recommended by others.

Good luck

CA GUY
post #5 of 5 Old 11-02-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by reapur View Post

I have a question. As I have no hands on experience with HD, I'm wondering how things connect. Currently I take the signal out of my DISH receiver and input it into my replay tv. Is it not possible on HD to take the signal out of the dish receiver and input it into the tivoHD? Is it a different paradigm for connections with HD?

There is hardware that exists that can capture HD-resolution video via component - but currently such hardware costs many, many times what an HD DVR unit does. It's just not a justifiable cost, as trying to add such a facility to an HD DVR would price it out of any practical price range. Capturing via HDMI is only possible if you're not using HDCP - the content producers don't want you just jacking the digital stream for recording, so such a device would never get past licensing. Simply, it's *possible*, but *impractical* to implement, due to costs and other market realities. That's why the boxes are all integrated.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page