ur 8300 HDC on Comcast have Closed Caption working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-08-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My SA 8000 bit the dust yesterday in a flash of multi-colors and went audio only. I got a SA 8300 HDC as a replacement and, like several SA boxes I've had, the Closed Caption function does NOT WORK. A trouble call brought a "tech" today and none of his replacement boxes had a working CC either. My 8000 had a working CC before the crash.

Do you have CC on your 8300 HD or HDC? If so, did it work "out of the box", or did you get a "fix"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-09-2007, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mod to above post: ... the closed caption function didn't work right out of the "box" either a download or special firmware update was required.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Does anyone know how to do the firmware upgrade?
post #4 of 15 Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

my previous upgrades were made by the tech calling a higher level "help" desk and they downloaded the update.

This time they knew of no such update

So here I sit with a new DVR and using my Sony's TV CC function - not what I want to do
post #5 of 15 Old 11-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah...this really stinks...I called and they have no idea what is going on...my brother is hearing impared and it made it tough to watch the games today...hope we figure it out.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-22-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

If your TV has closed captioning, turn it on - that's what I'm doing when the show uses lots of whispering.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah it does and I turn it on but nothing...all that works is taking about everything and running the analog cable line directly to the TV and the CC works...if I want to watch Digital or HiDef via the box...no closed caption
post #8 of 15 Old 11-22-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

My Sony 36" is not a HD set so I use analog connections from the SA 8300 to it - cc works on the Sony.

Looking forward to getting a HD set (Toshiba 46RF350U 'cause of it narrow bezel is leading contender) and a HTIB and using HDMI connections. Maybe soon, tho Sony is performing great and it weighs 250-300 lbs so I need a couple of VERY strong friends to take it off my hands
post #9 of 15 Old 11-23-2007, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

I spent most of yesterday trying to figure out how to get this to work...it seems that there is an industry problem with CC and HDTV...I will be fighting with TimeWarner again today...I will keep posting my results.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-23-2007, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

I do ok with cc on my bedroom HD TV through a digital cable box (w/o DVR capabilities however). My Sony also will do the cc for HD channels tho it is not a HD set.

I believe the design and programming of cable boxes is done by high school dropouts and the testing and procurement of them by grade school dropouts working for the cable providers.

For example, my SA 8300HDC last nite started "stuttering" on quite a few channel, none of the HD and none of the ones below 100, just the rest!! A reboot solved the problem. What caused it is unknown but poor quality and bad testing let it happen
post #11 of 15 Old 12-08-2007, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

I got thru to a "higher level tech support" yesterday by complaining to the Comcast help line (which was out of order for cable troubles: gave, after multiple button pushes, "that number is no longer active" !!).

Anyhoo, the tech got in touch with a "head end" supervisor who relayed the message that SA knew of the problem and projected a fix sometime in January.

We'll see.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-11-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblevins View Post

I got thru to a "higher level tech support" yesterday by complaining to the Comcast help line (which was out of order for cable troubles: gave, after multiple button pushes, "that number is no longer active" !!).

Anyhoo, the tech got in touch with a "head end" supervisor who relayed the message that SA knew of the problem and projected a fix sometime in January.

We'll see.

Did the problem get fixed? What was the reason why the CC wasn't working?
post #13 of 15 Old 04-11-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

No word yet --- I've called a couple of times but no return call.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-11-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblevins View Post

No word yet --- I've called a couple of times but no return call.

That's terrible.

I *think* that under FCC rules, Comcast is required to provide you an equivalent DVR that will provide closed captioning. I know it's a bit of a hassle, but you'd need to write a snail mail complaint to Comcast telling them to provide you an equivalent DVR with closed captioning, and if they don't respond suitably within 45 days, you'd need to file a complaint with the FCC within 30 days of their response (or lack of response). Keep two copies of your letter to Comcast as you'll need to send one to the FCC.

Here's an attachment that I got from the FCC that I happened to have handy, though it's oriented towards programs that aren't showing captions:

TIPS ON FILING CLOSED CAPTIONING COMPLAINTS

The FCC's closed captioning rules require consumers to first complain in writing to their TV distributor, such as your cable or satellite TV service, or to the TV station if you receive television via an over-the-air antenna, before contacting the FCC. Due to specific time limits established in the closed captioning rules, complaints should be filed as soon as possible after you experience the closed captioning problem.

The street address for your cable or satellite TV provider is usually on the back of your bill, or you can call the Customer Service number and ask for the company's main or headquarter street address. Addresses for TV stations are generally found in the phone directory. You may also locate a Broadcast Station Mailing Address by going to http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/mailaddr.html.

Letters should be addressed to the General Manager or CEO of the company. If your distributor has an e-mail address for the customer service department, this e-mail address is also generally on the back of your bill. Closed captioning complaints should be very specific. Include the following information in your written complaint to the TV distributor:

* Your name, full address, daytime phone/TTY number, and any other contact information, such as an e-mail address if available, so they may contact you if any clarifications are needed
* The name of the television program(s) you experienced closed captioning problems with
* The name and number of the channel(s) the show was on (For example- Channel 3, The Art Channel)
* The date(s) and time(s) you experienced the problems with closed captioning
* A description of the closed captioning problem. For instance, no closed captioning during entire show, closed captioning disappeared 5 minutes after the program began, closed captioning was garbled throughout the show, the words were unintelligible such as axuy' and &8777**edz' or the closed captioning was not in sync with the audio.

EXAMPLE: On Monday February 6, 2006, I was watching Channel 52 (XYZ Channel), and the show The Bad Guys at 9 p.m. had no closed captioning, and during the re-run on Wednesday February 15, 2006, at 9 p.m. on Channel 52 (XYZ Channel) the closed captioning only appeared in the last 15 minutes of the program.

If you are unsatisfied with the TV distributor's response to your complaint, or the TV distributor does not respond within about 45 days, then quickly contact the FCC with all of the complaint information listed above as well as your contact information. You must provide the FCC with full and specific details, including a copy of your original written complaint that you sent to the TV distributor, and their response, if any.

You can also provide the FCC with any further information you think appropriate (e.g., copies of the TV schedule showing the CC logo for the program you saw without closed captioning or written out examples of garbled or missing closed captioning, videotapes if available, etc).

Send all of this information to the FCC at 445 12th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20554, Attn. CICD/CGB. The complaint package you send to the FCC must also be sent to the TV distributor to let them know you have now complained to the FCC.

For further information on the FCC's television closed captioning please see our Factsheet at http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/closedcaption.html.

The closed captioning regulations are at http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/dro/captioning_regs.html. The complaint procedure is in the regulations at 47 CFR Part 79.1(g).
post #15 of 15 Old 07-09-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have had the same problem with my 8300 (no C) box when it was still on the Passport software. I have Time Warner Cable. When it was changed to Navigator, I still could not get closed captioning. Being hearing impaired, I used my Toshiba TV remote. But the best work around for me was getting a good pair of high-quality Digital stereo headphones and plug them in to the headphones jack on the front panel of my TV. The sound improvement was so phenomenal, that using this method, I don't even need CC when using the headphones. If your TV has a headphone jack, you should try this with some good headphones. You will be amazed at the difference.

Jack

SA-8300-HDC: TWC Navigator: ODN 7.2.11

Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page