TiVo announces reduction in monthly rates, return of lifetime service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Repost from HDTV Recorders forum...

Today, TiVo announced a reduction in the monthly fee. Service is now $12.95/mo maximum. Prepaid options include $129 for one-year (=$10.75/mo), $249 for two years (=$10.38/mo), and $299 for three years (=$8.30/mo).

TiVo also announced the return of the lifetime service option. The cost is $399 (on top of the $250 cost of the box) for a lifetime subscription to the TiVo service. Unfortunately, they only made the lifetime option available to existing TiVo customers. Hopefully if all goes well, Tivo will extend it to new customers in the future.

More details @ Engadget here. Q&A from a Tivo representative is here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2008, 11:30 AM

Liked: 10
They made lifetime available only to existing subscribers if they buy a new box... I'm just annoyed that when I bought my TivoHD in July 2007 from tivo.com I asked if they had a lifetime subscription I could purchase, but they said no. Now they offer the lifetime subscription but will not upgrade my three year plan to lifetime until I have completed the three year subscription. I would like to know if anyone else has experenced this with TivoHD.

BTW, My lifetime subscription to ReplayTV 4508 is still working fine, too bad ReplayTV was not able to stay in the game and develop a HD box, their product quality, and features was so much better than Tivo.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Yeah, but are they still tying lifetime service to the physical box you sign-up with? This was always their catch before and makes it useless. You are basically paying almost the equivilent of 4 years worth of service but what are the odds your box lasts that long? Very, very low. I have burned through at least 6 bad hard drives 4 TiVo boxes since 2000. And these days it is usually easier just to replace the box. With TiVo's lifetime model, they take my previous lifetime fee and basically say "sorry, sucker" (my interpretation) and force you to pay all over again. Until they handed my box management over to DirecTV, I was having to pay just to keep my first box on lifesupport to maintain my lifetime account. DirecTV, for all their many problems, was good enough to convert the lifetime fee to my account not the hardware and has honored it to this day (my bill actually shows a sharge every month for my first box, then a credit for the same amount that says "Credit for lifetime service").
Old 05-02-2008, 01:19 PM

Liked: 11
That's not a catch, and it doesn't make anything useless.

My lifetime TiVo is well over four years old. What do you do to your TiVos? Regardless, if you replace your broken TiVo through TiVo, they typically transfer the lifetime service.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:55 PM
IRJ

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
ANyone know when the new TIVO hardware will re rolled out?
I expect an updated "dongle" for the existing TIVO HD to anable SDV recording sometime "soon". But I had heard an entirely new model would be announced around 3rd Qr 2008.....

Ian
Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 PM

Nothing concrete, yet.