comcast cable card charges for tivo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-23-2007, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought a tivo series3. I have an HDTV with the cable card installed plus I have a comcast DVR. I want to get rid of the comcast box and go to tivo. Called to get the tech out and was told $1.95 a month for the additional cards..no problem..BUT they also want to charge me an additional $6.95 a month service fee. Anyone else run into this. Any imput appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-23-2007, 11:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

As noted in the other thread, the outlet charge is meant for additional TVs.

Make clear to Comcast that you only have one TV and you can avoid that charge.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 PM

I have the DCT 3416 and get the video/audio skipping and drop outs like others have reported here on recorded shows. I have eliminated poor signal as live shows don't exhibit this. Is it safe to assume that a separte TIVO box with a regualr HD receiver from Comcast would work better?

Thanks.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-29-2007, 05:36 AM

Liked: 11
Not necessarily. I have a DCT-3416 and I don't have the problems you're mentioning, so it is possible that they're related to issues outside your DCT-3416, issues that would remain if you replaced it with a plain STB and a TiVo.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-01-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot86 View Post

I have the DCT 3416 and get the video/audio skipping and drop outs like others have reported here on recorded shows. I have eliminated poor signal as live shows don't exhibit this. Is it safe to assume that a separte TIVO box with a regualr HD receiver from Comcast would work better?

Thanks.

Yes, I've lived with a succession of 6412 III boxes from Comcast. If you turn your in and get a replacement it's likely to not have dropouts for a few months, but they will come back. I just got a new Series III HD with cablecard and could not be happier. There are many other reasons that the Tivo is superior, it's not just the dropouts.

Mike
post #6 of 6 Old 12-02-2007, 06:33 AM

Liked: 11
Well, be careful. I have a TiVo S3 and a Comcast Motorola DCT-3416, and I have more video problems on the S3 than on the 3416. (I do have more audio problems on the 3416, and have resorted to RCA connections for audio from the 3416, rather than TOSLINK, to avoid those audio problems.)

Each of the two options have their own strengths. They're roughly the same in cost (TiVo is slightly higher), and roughly the same in overall value (again, TiVo is slightly higher).
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page