No Multichannel Audio via DCT3412 HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-24-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been reading through these forums over the past few days to get help with my parents' new HD setup and I must say there is a wealth of extremely useful information here... I would have been pretty lost otherwise. Before I get to the problem I'll list my system components:

Panasonic 50" Plasma TV TH-50PE700U
Sony STR-DG910 A/V Receiver
Motorola DCT3412 DVR
Echostar 3000 Satellite (Dish Network)
Samsung DVD/VCR DVD-V2000
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote

The configuration is as follows:

DCT3412 connected via HDMI to Sony receiver.
Samsung DVD/VCR connected via component video and optical audio to Sony receiver.
Echostar 3000 satellite connected via analog RCA video and stereo audio to Sony receiver.
Sony receiver connected to Panasonic TV via HDMI cable

I have the Sony receiver set to A.F.D which automatically detects the encoding on incoming bitstreams. From what I have read, the ideal setup is to have all decoding done at the component level (i.e. at the DVD player, cable box, etc.) and then send uncompressed PCM to the receiver. Unfortunately my DVD player only outputs 2 channel PCM for some reason, but when I set it to bitstream, the receiver correctly detects the multichannel information and decodes properly.... which I'll live with.

I can't say the same for DCT3412. By the looks of things the audio options are scant and the ones that exist are for analog sound (which does affect what I hear via the HDMI cable, strangely enough). The problem is that I can't get the DVR to output anything other than 2-channel PCM over the HDMI cable. I haven't tried optical because I'd really like to get it working with HDMI. Is there a bitstream option for the DCT3412, or a multichannel PCM output? I can't seem to find any information about this problem on the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-02-2008, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, this box does AC3 (bitstream) and PCM over HDMI. It's in the advanced setup menu.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page