Enable USB / Copy Files From DirectTV box - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-26-2007, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe the model number I have is HR-15 -> but in any case it is the 100GB DVR from Direct TV and I wanted to get the files onto my pc to burn onto a disk.

There are two USB ports (and maybe a firewire) but the DirectTV said that they were disabled and cannot be reenabled.

Is this true? Does anyone know how I might be able to get the tv shows copied?

(Background on why I need this - the DVR is shotty at best and keeps freezing and not recording full shows etc....DTV said the only way to fix this is to reformat - and I don't want to lose my shows that are there - esp if I can fix them with other utils I have on my pc.)

I'm a slight notice at hacking these so if you could be nice with instructions that would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-26-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Looking at a photo of the HR-15 receiver, I can see there are no Firewire/IEEE-1394 ports on the unit. There are what appear to be two USB ports and an eSATA port; neither of these ports will allow you to transfer content from the unit. The USB ports are "type A" ports, i.e., USB host ports (for connecting a USB peripheral device to); they're fundamentally different from the ports on a USB peripheral device, so you can't just get a cable and wire them together. The eSATA port is for wiring up an external disk for storing shows; I'm not sure if that was ever enabled on the HR-15, but that won't allow you to download shows from the unit either.

I'm afraid whatever shows you have in the unit are there, and can't be extracted. Sorry.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-28-2007, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
So would I be able to use the eSATA port and hook up an external harddrive to record new shows on? that way I can then just go through the shows I have on there currently and record new ones on the new eSATA drive? Then I can reformat as they have suggested and hopefully that will fix some of my problems.

Thanks for the quick reply.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-28-2007, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus1 View Post

So would I be able to use the eSATA port and hook up an external harddrive to record new shows on? that way I can then just go through the shows I have on there currently and record new ones on the new eSATA drive? Then I can reformat as they have suggested and hopefully that will fix some of my problems.

With the DirecTV DVRs, from what I understand, the unit switches completely to the external drive when it's plugged in (you don't get the capacity of both drives, just the external when it's plugged in). Also, I believe it's a marriage process, similar to most other DVRs - i.e., once you plug the drive in, if you unplug it, everything on that disk is then unreadable, and the drive will be reformatted upon replugging. That's assuming it's activated - on the HR20 and HR21, from what I understand, it's not an official feature, so the HR15 may or may not even work with an eSATA drive.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page