QAM Recording Support? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm doing research on a recorder that does QAM recording, but I had a couple of questions.

I want to record some programs on 1 of the local sub-channels, so analog recording is out of the question. I split my cable line to my tv and I can pick up my all my local digital channels via QAM on my tv, but I get weird channel numbers like 104.3, 109.3, ect.
If I get a service like Tivo, will it know what QAM ch. 103.3 will be on the program guide or would I need to manually setup the recording schedule?

Any of those expensive dvd/hd recorders do QAM recording without being home to hit the record button?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 09:46 AM

Liked: 11
TiVo's HD-compatible devices, the S3 and the HD, use CableCards (available for rental from your cable service) to gather information from the service provider that maps the actual channels (109.3) to the familiar channels (3-1) for use with their program guide services.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 View Post

TiVo's HD-compatible devices, the S3 and the HD, use CableCards (available for rental from your cable service) to gather information from the service provider that maps the actual channels (109.3) to the familiar channels (3-1) for use with their program guide services.

So I would need a cable card to use Tivo? I can't just tell it to record ch. 100.3 @ 7pm M-F? Can I get a cable card if I'm just getting basic cable?
post #4 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelucy View Post

So I would need a cable card to use Tivo?

No, they're not mandatory; I used my Series3 without them for a couple months.

Quote:

I can't just tell it to record ch. 100.3 @ 7pm M-F?

You can schedule a manual recording on clear QAM channels with the TiVo. You just won't get guide data for those channels. The QAM channel-subchannel designations can change periodically, based on your provider's rebundling of channels to more-optimally use the available bandwidth, so that's one major reason that using QAM channels without the CableCARDs can be problematic. The CableCARDs take care of that, since they get mappings of the QAM channel-subchannel designations to the virtual channel numbers from the provider automatically.

Quote:

Can I get a cable card if I'm just getting basic cable?

Depends on the provider; usually they require that you get at least digital cable service, and possibly HD service. You'd have to call them up and ask.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys!
I guess Tivo doesn't care if my machine isn't asking for programing guide updates.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 04:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

So I would need a cable card to use Tivo?

With digital cable, yes, they are pretty much a requirement to take full advantage of the TiVo service. If you are aiming for using your TiVo just for OTA reception, then you won't need CableCards.

Quote:

I can't just tell it to record ch. 100.3 @ 7pm M-F?

You theoretically could. You'd be wasting a good bit of money that way, though, paying for service that you wouldn't be using.

Quote:

Can I get a cable card if I'm just getting basic cable?

It depends on your service provider. Most require the first level of digital cable to get CableCards.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

I have Comcast.

That monthly fee for the programing guide when I wouldn't use it is the big hold up on my purchase.

I would get the digital cable package, but then I would need to rent their cable box when I wouldn't need it, just to get the cable card.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

That monthly fee for the programing guide when I wouldn't use it is the big hold up on my purchase.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this; are you talking about TiVo's monthly fee? If so, you have to pay that, or the TiVo box does not function. It won't work at all without the service.

Quote:

I would get the digital cable package, but then I would need to rent their cable box when I wouldn't need it, just to get the cable card.

If you get CableCARDs, you don't have to get the cable company's box; I have my Series3 populated with two S-Cards, and have never had my company's box at all. That's the whole idea of CableCARDs - you can get the box you want and have the cards installed, allowing you to access (pretty much) any digital cable content.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-27-2007, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this; are you talking about TiVo's monthly fee? If so, you have to pay that, or the TiVo box does not function. It won't work at all without the service.

If you get CableCARDs, you don't have to get the cable company's box; I have my Series3 populated with two S-Cards, and have never had my company's box at all. That's the whole idea of CableCARDs - you can get the box you want and have the cards installed, allowing you to access (pretty much) any digital cable content.

About the Tivo fee, yeah that's what I mean.

About the cable cards, I'll talk to Comcast to see if I can do that.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page