Panasonic DMR-EH55-S DVR...use with FIOS? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I recently moved to Verizon FIOS and I am wondering if anyone had had any luck getting their own DVR to work with it. I own a Panasonic DMR-EH55-S and so far have not had much luck. It seems to pick up some stations and their schedules but then stops. It then keeps searching the cable box (i.e. changing channels from station to station via the IR blaster) but nothing happens.

Am I out of luck? Do I need to rent a box from FIOS with a DVR built in? If so, is there a good used market for this unit? If so, I suppose I could sell it.

Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeriz View Post

I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I recently moved to Verizon FIOS and I am wondering if anyone had had any luck getting their own DVR to work with it. I own a Panasonic DMR-EH55-S and so far have not had much luck. It seems to pick up some stations and their schedules but then stops. It then keeps searching the cable box (i.e. changing channels from station to station via the IR blaster) but nothing happens.

Am I out of luck? Do I need to rent a box from FIOS with a DVR built in? If so, is there a good used market for this unit? If so, I suppose I could sell it.

Thanks,
Joe

One person with FIOS gets 37 channels in the clear, w/o a box, using the Philips DVDR3575.

More info here if interested.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll check all that out when I get home.

Joe
Old 12-05-2007, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FiOS offers the local channels 1-49 in analog and those can be recorded just like a VCR.

The rest of the digital channels require a FiOS' Motorola STB/DVR or a CableCard box like the TivoHD HDTV DVR.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. But my real problem seems to be having the DVR obtain the guide (channels and show info). I hooked it up last night with the cable running directly into the DVR and then on to the cable box to see if that makes a difference. Previously, I had the DVR set up 'after' the cable box (cable box turned 'on' of course).
Old 12-06-2007, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Hook up a cheap set of rabbit ears to the RF input, run the cable box into a line input, and set up for both "OTA and Cable".

You might have to go into the channel editor and turn the cable channels on, but you can obtain the guide info for them over the air.