SA8300HDC A/V is Garbled - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2008, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC box that works fine, except for some of the following problems:
  • some standard channels are not showing (Comedy Central, Food Network, etc)
  • audio on some channels are garbled
  • the basic HD channels (PBS, FOX) freeze and/or are garbled

This is what I see for some of the channels:

Note: I just replaced the cable with a brand new one as the previous one was badly chewed up. Also, I have had this problem consistently since I started subscribing to Time Warner Cable. My connections are as follows: CABLE IN to BOX, SVIDEO and RCA cables out to non-HD TV.

Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this problem? Since my local TWC is closed for the New Years, I don't know what I can do at this point, if anything. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Looks like you have very low signal levels at your location.
Might need to try eliminiating any splitters and check cable connections thru the path from where the coax cable enters the residenence from the outside.
If not an internal wiring/splitter issue, then a cable tech would have to check the signal levels at the entry point.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Joxer,
That does make sense. I noticed that the cable goes from the box all the way to my attic (about 25 feet) and into a gain amplifier thingy. I purchased this house last year and I guess the owner was using a satellite dish.

Do you think the gain amplifier has anything to do with it? I can try and mess with the gain knob?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone else know?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
first, i'd take that "gain amplifier" out of the middle and try it...
then, i'd make sure all my connections are "clean"...

actually, if "first" doesn't work, i'd just call twc and let them deal with it... like joxer said, it appears to be a signal level problem (which may 'go away' once you get that 'amp' out of the middle)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 01-02-2008, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Yes definitely try without that old amplifier, bypass it completely, they were old ones for analog channels and usually amplified noise too much. Unless its specifically for digital cable it can mess up a lot of digital/HD channels they are probably higher frequency than it is designed for. Also a special bi-directional low noise amplifer is the only type suitable for digital cable. You may not need an amplifer at all unless you have a lot of splitters.
Test with that amplifier removed and also remove splitters too for a test. If it works well without them, then you know signal loss from that extra stuff is the culprit and you can then work on replacing them with whats needed and suitable for your setup.

When I upgraded to digital/HD cable a few years ago I had similar junk and took it all out and optimized the signals with new splitters and a good Electroline low noise cable amplifirer I got with a good price on EBAY. That solved all my HD signal cable problems even with 20 year old lossy RG59 internal cabling in the house walls that I can't replace!

I recently checked out my relatives' house cable situation and they also had sub-par signals for digital cable. Had to remove an ancient amplifer and splitter up in their dusty old attic that were only rated for 450Mhz or so, that was OK for 20 years ago for analog only cable, but modern digital/HD cable goes to about 800Mhz. Just took out the old amplifer and replaced an ancient 4way splitter with a 2way (thats all that was really being used) and the higher frequency HD signals suddenly all came in!