Motorola DCT-3416 HDMI HDCP Error - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally got my system set-up versus having a string of temporary wiring everywhere. I play "Bourne Ultimatum" last night through the system (via Sanyo PLV-Z4) and everything was fantastic.

Today I go to play a tape through to my Vizio 32" LCD. The tape started to play and then I got an HDMI HDCP error message. The message displayed every 30 seconds or so interrupting the tape.

The internet is a marvelous thing. I now find that this is a common problem with Motorola STB's. It's a version of the same problem everyone else has reported regarding the handshake between the Motorola STB and any kind of repeating device (AVR).

Here's my setup:

Display devices: Vizio L32 LCD, Sanyo PLV-Z4 PJ
AVR: Onkyo HT-SR800
STB: Motorola DCT-3416, FW 16.35
DVD/VHS: JVC DR-MV77

Both the STB and DVD have HDMI out. The Onkyo has two HDMI in and one HDMI out. I wanted to be able to use the HDMI out on the receiver to go to the Sanyo projector because that's where I need the best signal for a 92" screen (versus the 32" screen on the LCD).

The rub is that I only get the error message when I run the DVD/VHS deck signal to LCD via the component cables (remember, I needed the one HDMI out from the AVR to go to the PJ) without the AVR being on. I couldn't figure out what was going on, playing the video and the audio through the LCD. On a hunch I turned on the AVR and ran it through that and VOILA!, the error message disappeared.

My fix is to just run all of the audio through the AVR and play the video through the LCD or PJ as required.

My STB DVR seems to have the current firm ware that people say will fix the problem. For right now I'm okay, but thought someone else might profit by this.

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-04-2008, 07:22 AM

Interesting, this appears to be happening with the DCH boxes as well and that reciever.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=955019

Anyone able to confirm this issue with anything besides the Onkyo reciever?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-04-2008, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadtaste View Post

Anyone able to confirm this issue with anything besides the Onkyo reciever?

Actually, doing a search on Google shows that it ocurrs with many different brands of receivers: Yamaha, Denon, etc.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-06-2008, 07:10 PM

Yes many different receivers...I have the Harmon Kardon 347 and have the same issue. Cable tech sent over his top installer he assured me the firmware should have fixed the problem...thought it was due to my error...well we all came to the same conclusion, the Motorola box still doesn't work. So it's the same fix...STB HDMI to TV and only audio to the AVR.

Often imitated but never duplicated.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-19-2008, 07:31 PM

I had the HDCP error message when using my Motorola STB connected through my Onkyo 605 using an HDMI 1.3a cable. I could not produce video or audio while watching Comcast cable.

The Comcast tech made a house call and said, "I've never seen a cable that thick before. Maybe that's the problem." He took out the higher quality HDMI 1.3a cable and plugged in a cheap looking Comcast-provided generic HDMI cable. Loe and Behold, the issue went away and has not returned. Everything works great. The tech said that sometimes the Motorola boxes have a hard time pushing signals through that big of a cable, whatever that means....
post #6 of 7 Old 12-23-2008, 04:46 PM

I actually fixed mine in exactlly the same way...

I had a Monster hdmi cable going from the 3416 STB to my Samsung LN52a750, and I'd either get the "HD Content Protection has been compromised" or "Mode not supported message", and it would go down for a period of time, and then after a lot of resetting of the TV and STB, it would come back for a period of time.

One of the times when it was down, I switched the Monster cable out for a cheaper cable (about 2/3rds the thickness), the video and audio came on immediately without any more resetting.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-24-2008, 12:23 PM

I've had this problem as well with the DCT3416 w/ my Yamaha 663. However, I was trying to run a 25 ft HDMI cable to my front PJ, which didn't work out.

Now I'm using component, and everything works. At this rate, and since my PJ is 720p, I don't even waste my time with HDMI anymore. I'd rather run component and optical cables and not worry about whether it's going to work the next time I turn on the PJ.

SpartanTS
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page