New verizon dvr software in nj, sucks? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-25-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ok nj just got the new dvr software and guide software and i dont know if this is the correct forum, but i have some questions. first of all does it sucks as much as it seems?

my main dvr is media center 2005 but i need this box for hd recording. now it seems faster to fast forward etc but either i am not doing it right or havent figured it out or it sucks.

a) no way to see more than 90 minutes in advanced at all? i mean this is the worst design it the history of dvr's. am i missing something? how do i make the guide show just one channel in a column? so i can see like 10 hours or 8 in advanced for that channel?

b) how TERRIBLE is it that the item you are viewing in the guide gets larger? it makes it impossible to follow as you scroll through, i have never used something so difficult to use.

c) guide doesnt show original air date? this is so important, especially for series. it doesnt even tell me if its new most of the time. i dont know if this would effect season recordings, but i am betting you cant say record first runs only, or if you can it doesnt work since it doesnt know the original air date and rarely correctly shows that the show is new.

d) dvr stops working when internet goes out, meaning no watching recorded shows.

i hope i put this in the right place, i get overwhelmed in huge forums like these, you dont know where to post since there are so many forums. i thought their was a fios forum but i didnt see it.

please help, this dvr is terrible, i cant see how anyone can call it improved. 90 minutes in advnaced and zoom feature cant be turned off? please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-25-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The official AVS forum thread for the Verizon DVR is Verizon FiOS QIP6416 DVR - Master Topic!. DSLR also has some useful threads, including IMG Bugs and missing features Ver 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike240se View Post

first of all does it sucks as much as it seems?

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

The new Verizon IMG is "pretty" compared to the old Microsoft FE UI.

Quote:

a) no way to see more than 90 minutes in advanced at all? i mean this is the worst design it the history of dvr's. am i missing something? how do i make the guide show just one channel in a column? so i can see like 10 hours or 8 in advanced for that channel?

You can't click on one channel and see the upcoming content on that channel beyond 1.5 hours without scrolling in the guide.

You can page through in the guide by using the channel +/- buttons. You can do day+/day- with the replay and skip buttons. Verizon introduced a new remote for the new software, although I don't know whether you have that; if you don't have that remote, Verizon will send it to you for the cost of shipping.

Quote:

b) how TERRIBLE is it that the item you are viewing in the guide gets larger? it makes it impossible to follow as you scroll through, i have never used something so difficult to use.

Some people love that. It's a big change from the previous design, so you've got to get used to it.

Keep in mind that Verizon is still at work on their software. IIRC, the next major update is planned for this spring.

Quote:

c) guide doesnt show original air date? this is so important, especially for series. it doesnt even tell me if its new most of the time. i dont know if this would effect season recordings, but i am betting you cant say record first runs only, or if you can it doesnt work since it doesnt know the original air date and rarely correctly shows that the show is new.

That information is hidden. It's still there -- most of the time.

Verizon's current guide data provider is FYI Television, which isn't nearly as reliable as Tribune Media Services used by Dish, DirecTV, and TiVo. There are many instances where they don't have the original air date, particularly on cable channels.

Quote:

d) dvr stops working when internet goes out, meaning no watching recorded shows.

While that's true, this isn't something that happens regularly if you have the latest firmware on your Actiontec router. Login to Verizon.net and download the latest firmware (v4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7) for your Actiontec router here. Login to your router at http://192.168.1.1 using admin/password and select the Advanced -> Firmware Upgrade. Be sure to update the firmware over a wired (not wireless) connection.

I've had my FiOS Internet connection go down for less than one hour total in the past 16 months.

Quote:

please help, this dvr is terrible, i cant see how anyone can call it improved. 90 minutes in advnaced and zoom feature cant be turned off? please help!

If you can't get used to it, there is always the TivoHD for FiOS ($200-$250).

post #3 of 3 Old 01-25-2008, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

thank you for your very helpful post. At first i also thought it was great cause it was so pretty, and its GREAT that the skip and rewind, etc actually work instantly unlike the old software that had a delay and made yoyu hit the button too many times all the time.

but pretty is always better. now that my worst fears have been confirmed i have no choice but to get a tivo or something, i watch a lot of tv and record all of it in advanced, being able to see only 90 minutes of advanced programming is just terrible to me. and the zoom feature that some people like it great if you have bad eyes but it makes it too hard to go through the guide to find what you want especially since there is no channel listing per channel and the guide also has the live tv in the middle in both big and small guides. i do like the favorites feature.

i do have the current remote and have been using ch+/ch- and fw/rw as they are meant to be used in the guide but since the guide has that zoom and only 90 minutes they are much harder to use than they need to be.

i dont want to get tivo but if it supports full hd, etc i may have to since cablcard support for media center requires an expensive prebuilt machine. hopefully someone will find a way to get the cablecard reader and hack it to work with non hp or dell machines.

also if the original air date info is there, why not show it? media center 2005 and vista media centers whole setup including the guide is so perfect, i dont know why the cable companies dont do something like it or atleast make theirs more configurable.

but anyways i guess if i stick with it, i will just set season passes for my hd shows and only use the guide on the media center pc to find stuff to watch. this is very upseting. thanks for the info on the router, i will check it ut.

mike
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page