AVR & TiVo: No Picture but sound ok? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2008, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am not getting picture on my TV but getting the sound.

My connection setup is as follows:

TiVo -> Receiver -> HDTV
Composite In-> Composite Out->HDTV
RWY Out -> In RWY Out -> RWY In.
S2 ST Tivo -> Sony DG810 -> Sammy 5054.

** RWY = Composite Red White Yellow
Earlier today I had tested to confirm that operation was normal by direct linking TV & TiVo.

Any ideas? TIA.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I can't think of any technical reason for it; I know people who use S2 TiVos hanging off A/V receivers (in my case, it's a Series3 via HDMI). Double-check your video connections? There shouldn't be any copy-protection related reason for not seeing it; it's not like you're running it through a VCR.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

I can't think of any technical reason for it; I know people who use S2 TiVos hanging off A/V receivers (in my case, it's a Series3 via HDMI). Double-check your video connections? There shouldn't be any copy-protection related reason for not seeing it; it's not like you're running it through a VCR.

Without the receiver in between, the picture & sounds goto the TV normally.

However now with the AVR: the composite video in & composite video out did not produce the expected results.
So I tried moving the Composite Video out to just Monitor out. SUCCESS

Not sure why the receiver didn't pass through the video through the expected composite vid out - but did using the plain ole monitor out on this receiver.

Odd. Thanks for the support anyhow.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Old 02-04-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

From looking at the manual, there are only two actual composite video outs - the "Monitor Video Out" port and the "Video 1 Video Out" port. Was your TV connected to the Video 1 out, or something else?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From looking at the manual, there are only two actual composite video outs - the "Monitor Video Out" port and the "Video 1 Video Out" port. Was your TV connected to the Video 1 out, or something else?

My TV was connected to the Video Out Port directly with the TiVo.
Looking @ the TiVoS2 back panel it was using the right most Video Out ports away from the wireless adapter USB port.

Now when I got the AVR, it is now connected to that same TiVo's composite out.
And the TV is now awaiting signal from the AVR - which it IS getting for audio but not video via the AVR's video composite out.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

My TV was connected to the Video Out Port directly with the TiVo.
Looking @ the TiVoS2 back panel it was using the right most Video Out ports away from the wireless adapter USB port.

Now when I got the AVR, it is now connected to that same TiVo's composite out.
And the TV is now awaiting signal from the AVR - which it IS getting for audio but not video via the AVR's video composite out.

Hm, and when you have the TV connected to the AV receiver's "Monitor Out" port, you're sure the TiVo's video out is connected to the same input set as the audio outs are? And you've got the right connectors connected to the right ports on the TiVo side (the video out is on the bottom on the TiVo's back panel, while it's on the top on most other devices, including the A/V receiver you have)? That's the only thing I can think of, unless the A/V receiver has a bad composite in on the input set you're using...
Old 02-04-2008, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hm, and when you have the TV connected to the AV receiver's "Monitor Out" port, you're sure the TiVo's video out is connected to the same input set as the audio outs are?

Yes sir.
Quote:

And you've got the right connectors connected to the right ports on the TiVo side (the video out is on the bottom on the TiVo's back panel, while it's on the top on most other devices, including the A/V receiver you have)? That's the only thing I can think of, unless the A/V receiver has a bad composite in on the input set you're using...

Yep. Even slept on it one night to make sure that I had synch the plugs.
However, it might be a bad composite out that is causing the issue not the bad composite in since I AM receiving the video signal on the AVR now that I have moved the AVR composite out to the AVR monitor out.

Odd! Thanks for the help anyways.