Unencrypted HD through a Tivo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-11-2008, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings. I currently have a SD Tivo. But, when I connect my coax directly into my TV (Samsung LN-T5265f) if picks up some local HD stations that are unencrypted (so I don't have to use an antenna yet).

We are looking at buying a Tivo HD. If I use this without the cablecards, will I still receive those unencrypted HD channels through the Tivo (so I can record on them). Currently I have the Tivo and coax input on different inputs to the TV (Tivo is going in S-Video). If I will not be able to get those channels with the HD Tivo and no cablecards, I probably will not go that route. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-11-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Without CableCards, the TivoHD will receive those unencrypted HD channels, but they won't have guide or program information. Hence, you would have to use manual recordings.

The guide data providers (such as Gemstar and Tribune Media) only provide guide information for the 'official' channels numbers in the cable company's lineup. They don't provide guide information for the 'unofficial' QAM numbers like 87-2, 106-3, etc.

CableCards remap all the channels from 'unofficial' QAM numbers to the 'official' numbers in the cable company lineup. If you want guide information on those channels, you will need a CableCard. Comcast charges $0/mo for a CableCard if you have Digital Basic, or ~$1.80/mo for a CableCard if you don't have a digital package. One Comcast "MCARD" is required to support both tuners on the TivoHD with guide information.

If your Comcast rep doesn't want to let you order a CableCard without digital service, then order a CableCard, have it installed, then call to cancel digital service. The CableCard will show up on your bill for ~$1.80/mo.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page