Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi everyone,

The subject says it all. All of my recodings of LOST this season have been split into 2 files, with the first segment lasting roughly 55-58 minutes, and the second segment lasting 2-5 minutes.

It is pretty annoying, since I miss about 20 seconds of dialogue for it to stop and start again.

I have tried 2 reboots, but not sure what else to try. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
skro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Hi everyone,

The subject says it all. All of my recodings of LOST this season have been split into 2 files, with the first segment lasting roughly 55-58 minutes, and the second segment lasting 2-5 minutes.

It is pretty annoying, since I miss about 20 seconds of dialogue for it to stop and start again.

I have tried 2 reboots, but not sure what else to try. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
skro

I have identical problem, although it is not with LOST, but a couple of other series. I have the Explorer SA 8240 HDC using COX cable in San Diego.

I only have this problem recording HD channels and the first file (lasting 55-58 minutes) always displays a NULL message in red text in the upper info box when it stops. Neither software or power reboots have cured the problem.

BTW, this is my first post to this forum and I have other issues I wish to address so if my "posting protocol/procedure" could be improved, please advise.

THANKS,
EasyDave
post #3 of 14 Old 02-23-2008, 10:29 PM

I have a cox 8240 in Noth San Diego county as well. I set it to both hours of lost and I get the final 4 minutes of the second hour. The recording lights are on the whole time but the only recording that shows in the list is 4 minutes long.

Any ideas as to what gives?

Thanks in advance!

Front242
post #4 of 14 Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front242 View Post

I have a cox 8240 in Noth San Diego county as well. I set it to both hours of lost and I get the final 4 minutes of the second hour. The recording lights are on the whole time but the only recording that shows in the list is 4 minutes long.

Any ideas as to what gives?

Thanks in advance!

Front242

None, but losing everything but 4 minutes would really suck! I suspect the problem is similar to ours. I would save the next occurence of this and call Cox to come out. I'm saving examples and documenting a couple of other problems before I call Cox again.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-26-2008, 10:32 PM

I have had this problem for the last four months, since I first switched from Adelphia to Cox (hoping that Cox would be better). I'm also in north county San Diego and I have a choice of cable in my neighborhood.

There are several different series (all HD) that split the last couple of minutes off, including Lost. I also have a problem periodically of selecting to play a recorded HD show and the screen just go blank and lock up. I have to then play another recorded show and come back to the first to get it to play.

Tonight, my box completely managle the recordings for American Idol and Biggest Loser, recording only some of each and this prompted me to call customer service.

I just spoke with Cox and they rebooted my 8240, which I have done on my own and it did not correct the problem. They said they never heard of this problem and it is not in their knowledge base. And there is no recent software upgrade available.

They said to call back tomorrow if I want a new or different box. From what I can gather on the web, the only other choice is the Explorer 8300 (which is supposed to be identical to the 8240 with the addition of analog cable, which I don't use anyway). But maybe it is a more stable DVR platform? My neighbor has the 8300 and never reports an issue with it.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 AM

Hi All

My wife had a Cox tech come out to check out the problem yesterday. He said that for whatever reason, Lost on the HD channels wreaks havok on their DVRs. He said it's been a big problem for them and they're not sure why it does it or how to fix it. His fix was to record it on the non-HD channel and supposedly it will be fine. That seems like a stupid fix when you spent the money for an HD DVR etc... but it's all they can come up with right now.

Front242
post #7 of 14 Old 02-28-2008, 01:58 PM

I called Cox Sales to try to switch to the Explorer 8300HD DVR. Their computer had no way of selecting a specific decoder for a customer. The sales CSR wanted to go ahead and put the order through as is (selecting a generic HD DVR decoder), which would likely just get me another 8240. I told her if she can't guarantee me the 8300 to just cancel it.

Instead, I called Cox Tech Support again and requested a tech to come to my house and bring an 8300 with him. The tech CSR said the tech will correct the problem and he's supposed to be here this afternoon. We'll see what he can do and if he really will bring an 8300 with him.

Unfortunately, after my last call to Cox the other night, all of the screwed up recordings have been deleted. I have no symptoms to show the tech other than verbally.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-29-2008, 04:28 PM

Good news! I got the 8300HD DVR yesterday and recorded a COMPLETE recording of Lost last night. The bad news is that it cannot see the remote beyond about 5 feet. The tech is coming back today with another replacement 8300. I also talked to the tech supervisor and showed him this discussion thread. He wasn't aware of this problem with the 8240, but he is now. He was very helpful and arranged for the tech to come back today to correct the remote problem.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-01-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvh66 View Post

Good news! I got the 8300HD DVR yesterday and recorded a COMPLETE recording of Lost last night. The bad news is that it cannot see the remote beyond about 5 feet. The tech is coming back today with another replacement 8300. I also talked to the tech supervisor and showed him this discussion thread. He wasn't aware of this problem with the 8240, but he is now. He was very helpful and arranged for the tech to come back today to correct the remote problem.

Good job on getting the tech supervisor informed about this problem. So far, I've only seen the "splits scheduled recordings into 2 files" problem on the SA 8240. My 8240 is a replacement for 2 previous 8300 boxes. I never experienced this problem with either 8300 box but had several other problems. It is my understanding that the 8240 is a newer/improved product for SA. As I continue to research my problems, it is my opinion that there are several variables/interactions occuring around these (primarily HD) issues:
1. SA's quality control of their 8300 and 8240 boxes (including hard drives).
2. The picture format combo/order of setup.
3. Individual signal quality of the HD channels.
4. Type of connections to HDTV. (I use and feel HDMI hookup is great, but problematic.)
5. Our individual HDTV's, A/V tuners, Cables, Distribution boxes, etc..

Wish I had the answers but I think it's telling that Cox does not officially support (this may have changed) HDMI hookups and HDTV Setup Wizard. I'm not faulting Cox, because I feel the total HD technology has not matured enough for the service companies and manufacturers to profitably support all these variables. Lastly, we are a small minority of users that search these forums, strive for the best quality and don't give up thinking "Well, the problem must be me!" Sooo, let's continue the good fight and report our findings.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-02-2008, 11:28 AM

The tech came back and replaced my 8300 (that had the bad remote detection). I now have a fully functioning system with (what appears to be) a new 8300 even though it is the older technology. My understanding is the same as EasyDave in that the 8240 are the newer units and that they are digital only (no analog tuner like the 8300). But otherwise, they are supposed to be identical. Apparently, they are not. Although, it is likely the SW version on the 8240 that causes the split file issue. If that's the case, hopefully there will not be an upgrade of the SW on the 8300 thus introducing the issue to those units.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-03-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvh66 View Post

The tech came back and replaced my 8300 (that had the bad remote detection). I now have a fully functioning system with (what appears to be) a new 8300 even though it is the older technology. My understanding is the same as EasyDave in that the 8240 are the newer units and that they are digital only (no analog tuner like the 8300). But otherwise, they are supposed to be identical. Apparently, they are not. Although, it is likely the SW version on the 8240 that causes the split file issue. If that's the case, hopefully there will not be an upgrade of the SW on the 8300 thus introducing the issue to those units.

Best of luck on this 8300. I still have one 8300 and one 8240 (Expensive YES, but it allows my wife & I to watch/record EXACTLY what we want) The one 8300 has been in service over 3 years with nary a problem. Previous to my 8340 I had COX replace two other 8300's. I have included this link which started back in 2007 which pretty much covers the problems I had.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=909615
In the event you have any problems with your new 8300, check out this thread for some possible insight, solutions and comfort (like in misery loves company!) All The Best, EasyDave
post #12 of 14 Old 04-24-2008, 04:16 PM

I've had the split file issue with the 8240 for a while, and finally had the box changed by COX in North San Diego Co. The next 8240 had the same problem so the tech came out and had the flash ROM updated to 1.5.3_8300HDC_LR_F.p3501 (name on the FLASH line) yesterday. I have yet to record anything that has previously shown the problem. Will let this forum know if it fixes the problem for me. (The tech said it is supposed to )
post #13 of 14 Old 04-28-2008, 06:47 PM

After several days of recording there doesn't appear to be a problem with programs getting split. It appears the aforementioned ROM update has resolved the issue.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-02-2008, 11:58 AM

I spoke too soon. My 8240 once again split the Gray's anatomy program into 2 files: the first was 57 minutes and the second 7 minutes. According to the tech who last came to my home for this, the Flash ROM version I mentioned in an earlier post was supposed to fix the problem. Obviously it didn't so back to customer service I go.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page