TIVO upconvert - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-13-2008, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an PTV300 series one with lifetime subscription - I am considering upgrading/adding some more storage. I have 1080p Sony LCD, Comcast HD cable and a Bose v20 system that allegedly "upconverts." My plan is to run HD signal through my older PTV300, have that go to the BoseA/V receiver and have it upconvert back to the TV. Has anyone else tried this?
Would I be better off just having the HD cable box go direct to the TV and also, through other set of outputs (if there are any) to the tivo as well?
What do you think is best way to get best picture?
When they say "older Tivo's can play HD" what does that really mean? its all 1's and 0's, so is it just a function of what output comes out of the box?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-13-2008, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You can only experience true HD over HDMI and component connections. Those are the outputs that you find on the TivoHD.

The older TiVos like your PTV300 are obsolete. They cannot record HD. They can only record HD that is first downconverted to 480i SD over s-video, composite, or coax. That SD feed is then compressed on the fly, which reduces quality further. The picture quality will be poor on a 1080p TV.

Only the TivoHD ($250) and TiVo Series3 can record actual HD. Both of these boxes completely replace the Comcast cable box. Both of these boxes record the original digital signal direct from the cable company so there is no degradation of any kind.

To use the TivoHD, you obtain a CableCard from your cable company. A CableCard is basically an access card that you insert into the front of the TiVo -- it tells the TiVo what channels you are authorized to receive and decrypts them. Comcast provides CableCards free (for the first box) to digital cable customers. Other customers without digital cable may have to pay ~$1.90/mo.

If you purchased your TiVo prior to January 21, 2000, you can get a free lifetime transfer to the TivoHD. If you purchased after that date, a lifetime transfer to the TivoHD will cost $199.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-13-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

If you purchased your TiVo prior to January 21, 2000, you can get a free lifetime transfer to the TivoHD. If you purchased after that date, a lifetime transfer to the TivoHD will cost $199.

Do you happen to know what the prevailing views on this are with TiVo consumers?

It would seem that the TiVo boxes last a good while & the technology hasn't made too much of a quantum leap so the lifetime transfer actually looks like it pays for itself in a little over 1 year.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #4 of 13 Old 02-13-2008, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

Do you happen to know what the prevailing views on this are with TiVo consumers?

It would seem that the TiVo boxes last a good while & the technology hasn't made too much of a quantum leap so the lifetime transfer actually looks like it pays for itself in a little over 1 year.

Assuming you already own an older unit with lifetime, the transfer makes sense.

Keep in mind that you can only transfer a lifetime subscription once. If you transfer lifetime to a TivoHD, you won't be able to transfer it an improved model in a year or two.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-13-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Assuming you already own an older unit with lifetime, the transfer makes sense.

Keep in mind that you can only transfer a lifetime subscription once. If you transfer lifetime to a TivoHD, you won't be able to transfer it an improved model in a year or two.

Thanks. My opinion on the last statement is that rules are made to be broken.
& if they want to try to sell me a 1TB HD Series 4 with full HDM copying privileges built in, then it has to be an incentive.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #6 of 13 Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

ok, i get that part and i will bite the bullet and buy the new box if they let me transfer the lifetime,,,this then opens up a new can-o-worms...I use the ON DEMAND and Pay-Per-View features of comcast,,Cablecards do not let you take advantage of these features as they (from my undersatnding) are "one way" meaning they allow the signal through, but do not allow you to do any transactions like you can from a stand alone cable box..SO,,,what is the best way to take advantage of the ability to watch one program and record the other? It looks like I will have to have the HD cable box connect to Tivo then tivo to HD TV,,,if my av receiver upconverts, am I better off going hdmi from cable box to tivo, then hdmi from tivo to reciever or hdmi from tivo direct to tv...it seems as thos the fewest connections would be the best,,I am not hard core audiofile so perhaps Cable Box > Tivo > HD TV with audio output back to AV Receiver..what do you think?
post #7 of 13 Old 02-13-2008, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The TivoHD does not work with a set-top box. It replaces the set-top box. It does not have any inputs.

As you note, the TiVo does not do VOD. If you want VOD, you would connect a cable box directly to your TV and use that when you want to watch VOD. The rest of the time, you would watch the TivoHD. The TivoHD will record two different HD channels simultaneously while you watch a third, previously recorded HD program. It will also let you record one SD or HD channel while you watch another SD or HD channel.

Your TV already does upconversion on every input. Your AV receiver does not offer any benefit there, unless you have a $$$ receiver with high-quality processing like the Denon AVR-5308ci. Most <$2000 receivers will degrade the quality of your video if you use their video processing.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-14-2008, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I called tivo tech support and went up the line a few levels and confirmed that you CAN use separate cable box with the HD tivo box.
The wire that comes in the house that would normally go into the HD TIVO can, instead go to an HD cable box.the wire that goes out of your cable box, that normally goes to the TV instead goes to TIVO HD and you will still be able to use ON DEMAND and Pay Per View functionality. If you want to have the ability to watchone program and record another, you will still need the cable cards ni the TIVO box. seems like its alot of overkill, but I need On Demand for the kids programs and do not want to give that up. I also like/am used to Pay Per Veiw and do not want to learnhow to download movies through amazon on my tivo,,its so much easier to just do everything with the remote.
I bought Tivo lifetme in 2000 and they said they would tranfer my lifetime to the new box, so that is what I am going to do,,,get the Comcast HD Cable Box, run that to HD Tivo Box, run that to the HD TV.
I will report back to let you know how I made out...
post #9 of 13 Old 02-14-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Your TV already does upconversion on every input. Your AV receiver does not offer any benefit there, unless you have a $$$ receiver with high-quality processing like the Denon AVR-5308ci. Most <$2000 receivers will degrade the quality of your video if you use their video processing.

You can get the Onkyo TX-SR875 that has the Silicon Optix Reon-HQV chip for less than $1499.99, but yeah, that's an exception.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-06-2008, 01:54 PM

ruusta,
If you are interested in keeping your HD cable box for the purposes of receiving on-demand programming, you should keep the two devices separate and connect each to your TV or receiver by separate inputs as previously mentioned by bfdtv. To do this you would split your cable coming from the wall so that both the Tivo and the cable box receive a direct coaxial cable input. Each device would then connect to the TV or your receiver separately using either an HDMI or component video connection to maintain the HD signal from each device. If you connect the cable box to the Tivo as you mention, you will not be able to transmit any HD signals that are tuned by the cable box (including your on-demand programming) to the Tivo or your TV. An additional benefit to this setup is that you would be able to record two live programs with the Tivo while watching a third live (or on demand) program from your cable box. This way you reap the full benefits of owning the Tivo while maintaining all the functionality of your HD cable box.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-07-2008, 06:33 PM

Could someone please direct me to the TIVO forum on AVS. Thanks.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-09-2008, 04:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Tivo HD and Series 2 are great I own both. But Cable Cards are a major pain, and troublesome installations are common. Comcast here in Colorado Springs requires a truck roll to deal with cable card installations, even though the customer could deal with the situation simply by reading back the right numbers.

Anyway, I love my Tivo's but Cable cards are irritating.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #13 of 13 Old 03-10-2008, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burndawgz View Post

Could someone please direct me to the TIVO forum on AVS. Thanks.

Not on avs but try this - tivocommunity.com

Lots of info and opinions there.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page