Looking for a DVR for OTA + CABLE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-15-2008, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently with Dish and need to cut costs. I need a DVR that can record our OTA shows and also comcast cable. I'll be most likely getting just basic cable from comcast to combine with OTA for my HD shows. I'm confused at what DVR I can get. Is there one for my needs that will be able to show me the guide data from both my cable and OTA?

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-16-2008, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
At the moment, the TiVo HD is the only *in production* box that'd do it. There are the Sony DHG-HDD250/500 DVR units, but (a) they're single tuner, (b) they're out of production, and (c) they use analog TVGoS - which is already unreliable in some areas, and when the analog shutoff occurs in '09, guide data will go away completely. There are devices like the new E*/Sling OTA-only DVR that's coming soon, but that just won't do cable at all.

Keep in mind that if you buy the TiVo HD box ($250-300 typically), you still have to get the TiVo service (~$13/mo, or $130/year if you buy a full year of service, I believe). However, I have a (now discontinued, by all accounts) Series3 HD, and am very happy with it - it's absolutely worth it, IMO.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-16-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

There are the Sony DHG-HDD250/500 DVR units, but (a) they're single tuner, (b) they're out of production, and (c) they use analog TVGoS - which is already unreliable in some areas, and when the analog shutoff occurs in '09, guide data will go away completely.

As long as he's not using a CableCARD with the Sony, either the LG or the Sony should still get guide info as long as his cable company still has at least the locals in analog and doesn't strip the signal.

Either one will do, but the Sony's are a better choice - larger hard drives, newer version of the TV Guide (more likely to carry every one of your local digital channels and subchannels than the LG's guide), and less buggy in general. Unless you want to dump to D-VHS in HD, in which case only the LG can do that. The Sony can only transfer in SD.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page