Life Time Subscription - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 05-03-2008, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering ordering the Sirius lifetime subscription for my Stiletto 100. The fine print says that you can change radios up to 3 times with a fee of $75 per change. I've already had Sirius for over three years and wish I would have done it back then. I enjoy the service and believe I will be listening for at least over the next 4 years, so the lifetime is cheaper than the 2 yr rate.

My question is: Has anyone heard any information on how having a lifetime subscription could help/hurt me when XM and Sirius finally merge?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-05-2008, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone here have the lifetime subscription?

post #3 of 19 Old 05-05-2008, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everything is speculation, but my guess would be that Sirius would honor it, giving you the "Everything Sirius" package post-merger. i.e., the same programming you are getting now.
post #4 of 19 Old 05-06-2008, 06:46 AM

Mundis (small world, I'm near Annap. too). I have a lifetime, and have not seen anything concrete on what will happen if/when the merger is finalized.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-06-2008, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

I would like to go ahead a purchase the lifetime subscription because in the long run it will save me money, but I also don't want to miss out on any added content when the merger finally goes through.

post #6 of 19 Old 05-11-2008, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Is the Sirius lifetime subscription option still offered? I haven't seen it mentioned on their website for a few months now.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-12-2008, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

When you're viewing your account there's an option to increase from 1 year to 2 or 3 and the lifetime subscription is on the additional subscription option.
If memory serves.

post #8 of 19 Old 06-07-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundis View Post

I would like to go ahead a purchase the lifetime subscription because in the long run it will save me money, but I also don't want to miss out on any added content when the merger finally goes through.

If they can figure out a way to take something away and then charge you more than you already paid for your lifetime membership, you can bet they will! So what does the lifetime membership cost? And how do they determine your lifetime -- do the monitor the obituaries?
post #9 of 19 Old 06-12-2008, 04:39 PM

I got a lifetime subscription for $399 when I bought my Stiletto 100 back in July 07. I haven't seen anything official about what's going to happen to those of us with lifetime subscriptions. Sure hope that they honor their commitment but strange things happen when companies already have your money.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-14-2008, 05:58 AM

I have the lifetime sub on 2 of my sirius sats. Got them in 2006 when I moved one over to a new player a few months back (free of charge) I asked what is going to happen to the lifetime part on the merger, they said nothing its lifetime period. Yes its still offered its still $399 or was a few months back.
post #11 of 19 Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I would love to get a lifetime sub but Sirius is doing everything in their power to make me not do it.
They tie the sub to the hardware and not the account, are you f'in kidding me?
Makes no sense.
So if I get a lifetime sub, and sell my car, I'm out of luck.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-18-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

I would love to get a lifetime sub but Sirius is doing everything in their power to make me not do it.
They tie the sub to the hardware and not the account, are you f'in kidding me?
Makes no sense.
So if I get a lifetime sub, and sell my car, I'm out of luck.

I think this is why they offer the $75 change of radio 3 times. If you sell your car you can move it to a new one for a fee.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-18-2008, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarrett999 View Post

I think this is why they offer the $75 change of radio 3 times. If you sell your car you can move it to a new one for a fee.

I heard they did away with that, I could be wrong.
Sirius is thinking up new ways to throw roadblocks in my way.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-20-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

I heard they did away with that, I could be wrong.
Sirius is thinking up new ways to throw roadblocks in my way.

I have the LTS. You can change radios for free if it dies. I did it last month. That might be then a possibility. It was my word that the radio died (even though it did). I'm not sure how you do that if you are talking about moving from a built-in in a vehicle to another built-in in another, but it's worth a shot. Just give them the ESN of the radio you are claiming has died, and the ESN of the new radio (they may not recognize that they are in-car radios).

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
post #15 of 19 Old 06-21-2008, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 53
When I signed up for the Life Time Subscription a few months ago, I asked the customer rep on the phone about the "$75 transfer fee up to 3 times" issue and she chuckled and said, no, I could transfer it for free as many times as I wanted.

I know that isn't what it says anywhere on their site or in the fine print, but I'm just adding it to the mix and realize a customer rep's word at sign-up for anything isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

I also was struck by the fact that neither she nor anyone else I had spoken to at Sirius about choosing a subscription worked very hard to sell me the LTS even though this was at time when they were featuring it on their website as a limited time promotion.

The LTS option has been around for a few years now and a lot of new and improved radios have been introduced in that time. Has anyone heard of a LTS subscriber being charged $75 even once for a transfer? I haven't. Maybe they're out there but I haven't heard any complaints from them.

My calculation was that a $399 LTS and, worst case scenario, one $75 transfer fee over the next 36 months would cost essentially the same as paying $12.95 per month straight up. And if I got more months or years out of it than that without even one $75 transfer fee before they started getting creative with the promotional value of it then I was ahead of the game anyway.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-24-2008, 02:37 PM

Lifetime is never YOUR life, unless your plan on dying in 20 years, which is usually how long these "lifetime" promotions are good for.

PSN: chaddgar, jrinck
post #17 of 19 Old 01-03-2010, 09:57 AM

i bought a lifetime sub / membership for sirius back in 2006 for $399.
back then, i had assumed that the only fine print detail was that you would max out at a total of four radio sets.

i used the same set until now (an SP4). i kept it despite the fact a few years ago my car was broken into and some pieces of the car kit were stolen but not the main radio, which i had taken with or wasn't in the car at the time. i had multiple home kits so i kept the radio and rigged up my own car kit by using an ac/dc inverter and mounting the home kit with a sticky magnet on the dashboard. this setup worked fine despite some inverter noise, and another advantage was i could move the whole thing to a second vehicle when i wanted.

but in the end i was ready to move on: tired having cords all over the cab of my car. plus, the stilletto two was buyable for around $100 so i figured it was time to upgrade to that.

also finally: anyone know what car antenna cord would work with the stilletto? you really don't need the car kit slv2 if you have an aux audio input in your car radio. you can power it using an inverter and the ac adapater so you don't need a cig lighter power cord. but what is the antenna solution for a guy like me who hates by car kits? (the cheap places are all "out of stock" on the slv2)

bought it on ebay, from a reseller.

here's the kicker: when i called sirius to activate the stilleto 2, they wanted to charge me $75 to change my radio. i said no way, that wasn't part of the lifetime deal back in 2006, and i also objected to the "3 radio" limit since i believed it was a 4 radio deal. i asked for the supervisor who agreed "to waive" the $75 changeover fee "this one time." i told him i would be contacting the california department of consumer affairs re sirius changing the terms of a contract. i asked the supervisor to send me a copy of my original contract and he said it was "not available." (hmmm, can one sue sirius in small claims court?)

that leaves open the question: did my original lifetime sub with sirius allow me to get all of the xm channels after the merger? i forgot to ask the supervisor that question so perhaps someone knows here.

finally let me say that the coolest thing about stilleto 2 so far is the wi-fi internet radio in my own home or at starbucks. since i'm a poor sleeper i can tune in all of sirius public affairs / news stuff in the middle of the night without waking my partner, and the fm npr offering at night is not so great or poor reception so this is a great "lifetime" solution for night listening ... at last. perhaps the lifetime sub to sirius in the final analysis may prove worthwhile despite the bogus $75 changeover fee and limit on 3 radios that really is 4 radios.

actually i hope sirius succeeds and gave it a vote of confidence by buying a 1000 shares at .58 cents. but pleeze dont' jerk us lifers around!! we are your best advertisement .... or should be
post #18 of 19 Old 02-02-2010, 09:32 PM

this is VERY interesting!
Quote:

4. Transfer Fee: If you wish to transfer your Subscription to a different Receiver during the term of any Subscription (including renewal terms and for Lifetime Subscriptions), we may charge you a transfer fee of up to $75.00. You may only transfer a Lifetime Subscription to a different Receiver a maximum of three times. No transfer fee will be charged for the transfer of a Lifetime Subscription Plan associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer if, in our sole discretion, the Receiver is defective.
e) Lifetime Subscription Plan. A "Lifetime Subscription" is one that continues for the life of the Receiver equipment. Amounts paid for Lifetime Subscriptions are nonrefundable after the first year of service. If you cancel during the first year of service you will be charged a cancellation fee.
i) Right to Transfer a Subscription. A Lifetime Subscription is not transferable if it is associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer in a vehicle, except in the event the original Receiver associated with that Lifetime Subscription is stolen, accidentally damaged or if, in the sole discretion of SIRIUS it is defective. A Lifetime Subscription associated with a home, portable, or dock & play Receiver is transferable from one Receiver to another Receiver, up to a maximum of three (3) times. If you transfer a Lifetime Subscription from one Receiver to another or from one person to another, you will be charged a transfer fee. All other Satellite Radio Service Subscriptions (other than Lifetime Subscriptions) are transferable from one Receiver to another. Permitted transfers of Satellite Radio Service Subscriptions (including Lifetime Subscriptions) are subject to a transfer fee, as set forth herein.
Last updated on January 21, 2010.

Lots of info there.
Link... visit the sirius website!
post #19 of 19 Old 02-03-2010, 02:30 PM

In '06, I bought a Jeep that had a Sirius radio. After trying it for 3 months free (actually built-in to the sticker price of the car), I decided to subscribe to the lifetime deal ($499.99) ONLY after being told that I could switch my plan to another vehicle down the road. I figured that after 39 months, I would be even and that event occurred in June of last year.

Then, in '08 I bought another vehicle that also had Sirius, keeping the Jeep. So I call Sirius to activate the new vehicle (VW) and decided to switch my lifetime to the VW and then take their 2nd vehicle deal on my Jeep (around $75 yearly if I remember correctly). Now the 2nd vehicle deal is around $95 and just too much for the limited time I drive the Jeep (maybe 2 times monthly).

So, I called them yesterday about dropping the 2nd vehicle deal (the Jeep) and found out they had NOT switched my lifetime plan to the VW back in '08 as they told me they would.

Next, the agent told me that they no longer allow "factory" installed radios to be switched. That's when I lost my temper and complained loudly that I signed up for the lifetime membership ONLY because of the option to switch down the line. After some hemms and hawws, the agent told to to hold while she talked with her supervisor. After about 3-5 minutes she came back on the line and said she would do the switch, but it would be the only time I could ever switch vehicles again with my so-called lifetime subscription. She also said that if I ever sell the car, the lifetime subscription with go with the car. As I mentioned above, I'm more than even now with my lifetime subscription, but I'm still a little pissed off.

She further stated that only lifetime subscriptions with portable radios could be switched in the future (no factory installed radios.)

Based on my experience yesterday, I would NOT recommend signing up for a lifetime subscription unless you're going to keep the vehicle for several years. However, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to be getting vocal with them again if or when I move on from my VW. Also, what happens IF you total your car with a lifetime subscription?

Another option for you iPhone people. I have the IP Sirius app for $2.99 monthly. I don't know if you have to have a vehicle plan to get this IP app at this price. Today, I did my first on-the-road test with my IP playing Sirius radio and it worked great (no signal drops like I sometimes get with my vehicle radio). Today I just used a headset, but I'm going to get one of the FM transmitters that plug into the IP and hope be able to play my Sirius radio through my vehicle's radio. Yes, it is a bit hooky, but it does beat paying around $8 monthly for my 2nd vehicle AND I still get my Sirius radio when I'm out walking about and out of my vehicle(s).

I have no problem with Sirius changing their lifetime policies, but I strongly believe they have to "grandfather" previous subscribers with the deal they signed up for.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page