AVS Forum banner

Had sportster hard wired, still static.. please help

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TacoHell 
#1 ·
I have a hard wired sportster 5, and get static for sports and talk shows. I get static on music stations but the volume is slightly higher. When I use the receiver in my boombox the sound is amazingly clear for the same stations. I can use an ipod on the same AUX plug with no static. Does this mean my docking station cradle is defective?

#3 ·
Is it static you are hearing or is it whine? Does the level of static change with changes of your engine's rpm? I had a problem with my sportster picking up alternator whine, the only way around it was putting a noise filter in-line with the aux jack. My mp3 was not affected, which I am assuming was because it was not powered through the cigarette jack.

#5 ·
I was told it is not static or interference but something about the Sportster 5 amplifier and the amp in my factory installed radio causing it. But why would it happen on talk/sports shows than music. It does happen on music when I blast it

I've tweaked the audio sound on the receiver and stereo but to no avail.

Have a 2007 Rav4.

I'll try the lights deal, I hope it's something that easy. Is there a specific in Line noise filter that I should look at?

On a side note, I haven't been pleased with Sirius customer service, is there an email address or phone number to their corporate.

Thanks,

#6 ·
^He isn't using a FM modulator, he is using the aux input on his radio.

The ground loop isolator I used was for RCA so it probably wouldn't work in your situation, but I did a quick search and PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter gets good reviews at crutchfield and is only $18, plus they have a good return policy so you may want to give that a try.

#7 ·
Shoeboo

You must be a mind reader, I just purchased and installed that device from Crutchfield. I plugged it into the AUX than the Sirius wire into that. The static is gone and sounds great. Should I hook the device up directly to the receiver?

Thanks for all the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.