Sirius bricked many radios this month! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 09-11-2008, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Happened to me. Update, lost all presets, would act strange sometimes when starting radio. After two calls they sent me a new radio, but a cheap POS not the one I had. Called back, they said too bad, can only send what they had in stock. I cancelled subscription. Would have pushed harder but I found this thread too late.
I would rather spend my money with companies that actually care about their product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 10-08-2008, 11:32 AM

My Starmate Replay had the same problem this morning: Stuck at updating channels 0%.

Sometimes I get the SID screen with full antenna bars so this rules out a bad antenna or coax.

I tried tech support and they refused to help me because the radio was not under warranty. I told them that it was their fault for bricking the radio and asked to speak to a supervisor. Was put on hold and then disconnected.

I just fired off an email to customer service and I'll try the other 800 number.

If they don't at least partially offset a new radio I'm done with them.
post #33 of 40 Old 10-14-2008, 09:48 AM

For issues with hardware call and don't email them. If you email them you'll wait a few days and receive a "please call us" email.
post #34 of 40 Old 10-21-2008, 02:04 PM

I got the update of death this afternoon with my Starmate Replay. Went in to pick up some food and 5 minutes later get in my car and turn the radio on and I see a channel update being downloaded. I've seen this plenty of times in the past and after a few minutes the audio starts back up. This time after not hearing any audio for a few minutes I check the display and it says, " Call Sirius to Subscribe". The only channels available are the 000 SID channel and the 184 please call to subscribe message. I called the number and they tried sending out an activation signal twice with no success and then transferred me to tech support. They tried sending the signal again with no success and after a minute of silence determined that my radio is defective and out of warranty so I will need to buy a new one. After laughing at this canned nonsense I asked to speak with someone who would be sending me a new unit if it was indeed defective. The supervisor gets on the phone and says that the unit is old and out of warranty and is defective. I argue the finer points of a software update bricking my receiver to no avail. I really can't believe that they have scripts ready for customers for this planned obsolescence, but are unwilling to fix their own problems. I'll be calling back again. Maybe I should just start with the Customer Relations number.

It's funny that companies are still willing to pull this ******** in the internet age, as if no one can communicate with any other subscribers to realize this isn't a one unit problem.
post #35 of 40 Old 10-28-2008, 01:18 PM

This must have happened on my wife's stock Volkswagen head unit, same thing you guys are describing and the same line from CS "it must be broken". I don't want a plug and play device had one in my truck and I prefer the integrated sat radio in the HU. I wonder how they can accommodate that.
post #36 of 40 Old 11-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey how about that. My Starmate Replay (approx. 2.5 years old) died in exactly this manner during the last week of October - channel update, then the "call to subscribe message". Still had all the signal bars and whatnot, multiple failed reactivation signals, and finally an offer to sell me a new Starmate 4 for $125. hmm.

I bought a lightly used Starmate 4 on eBay for $30 and it seems to be working fine.

jeff
post #37 of 40 Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

my Starmate that is almost 3 years old has been acting up lately. Its been getting way more static than normal but I should be able to fix that with the prepaid installation coupon they just sent me. But my biggest issue is that my artist alert has been messed up. Any channels that are now shared will not recognize my favorite artists.

And a non-technical issue that I am mad about: the stations just don't seem to be playing that great of music anymore and a select few are censored and a few others are gone. I miss Buzzsaw!
post #38 of 40 Old 12-17-2009, 12:00 PM

My Sirius Starmate Replay went through the update of death and is now a brick sitting on the "Call Sirius to activate..".
Two calls into it and they say that the unit is out of warranty and needs to be replaced. Will not give me a deal at the moment... We'll see, more calls to go.. Hopefully they work out a deal before I cancel subscription...
post #39 of 40 Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 PM

What's the corporate number you guys called to get them to give you a deal on a new radio as a result of the other radios being bricked?
post #40 of 40 Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 PM

I probably just jinxed my self, but, I have had the same radio since 2003, I quit paying subscription on it in 2004 when I got my new pick up with Sirius in it, it STILL works, I use it in the garage.......
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio