AVS Forum banner

XM plus Best of Sirius is now active

5K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  electrictroy 
#1 ·
All

Yesterday I activated my primary (1 of 3) radio to receive "the best of Sirius" package.

Within 15 minutes radio #2 received the new channels. I haven't had a chance to check the primary radio however radio #3 currently can't receive the new Sirius channels.

I called customer service this morning questioning why #3 wasn't picking up Sirius, they replied the subscription of $4.05 is per radio, ouch...not happening.

Also listening to XM online with Best of Sirius acts the same as XM Everything, you can get music, news Stern etc but no sports or specialty programming.

So there you have it, the best of is up and running however if you're a multi-radio family they're going to bleed you out to activate all your radios.

Enjoy

See less See more
#4 ·
You're like me, you have the primary account and two family plan radios for a monthly total after fees and taxes of ~$28.

The Sirius fee appears to be $4.00/radio. For three radios that would be about 12..00/month on top of your existing $28.00/month.

In my point of view that's too damned much money for the only channel I wanted, NASCAB ER UH NASCAR....

#5 ·
well, i just called and the rep told me i have to give up my $77/yr promo plan.

I even asked about any special trial for the Best of Sirius deal.. nothing

I thought i could just add the best of sirius for $4/mo , and even then I wasn't sure i wanted to pay that amount.

I pay like $6/mo for like 150 channels, and they think I would pay an additional $4/mo for just 5 more channels?

lets see..

$6/mo = 150 channels

$4/mo = 5 channels

no freaking way i am giving up the $77/yr for this.. total rip off

and one reason I got the "XM Everything" plan at the time was when the merger finally happened, i'd get any new programming included.. guess that strategy didn't work out too well

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00ey /forum/post/14811386

well, i just called and the rep told me i have to give up my $77/yr promo plan.

I even asked about any special trial for the Best of Sirius deal.. nothing

I thought i could just add the best of sirius for $4/mo , and even then I wasn't sure i wanted to pay that amount.

I pay like $6/mo for like 150 channels, and they think I would pay an additional $4/mo for just 5 more channels?

lets see..

$6/mo = 150 channels

$4/mo = 5 channels

no freaking way i am giving up the $77/yr for this.. total rip off

and one reason I got the "XM Everything" plan at the time was when the merger finally happened, i'd get any new programming included.. guess that strategy didn't work out too well

To funny!

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy /forum/post/14816212

How so? I thought the merger would make prices cheaper.

Once the all in one radios are released some, NOT all, of the ala carte packages should be cheaper.

Actually right now as an XM sub I can get a a all JUST XM music package for $9.99 a month, which is cheaper then the $13 I pay now. I'm not sure if Sirius subs have the same offer. I don't know if the Sirius units are capable of ala carte programming right now.

But again once the all in one radios are released then the ala carte packages will be able to receive programming from both services, and SOME of those packages should be cheaper.

#11 ·
My logic is this (no matter how flawed it might be)

They are now one company - not two.

That means they are one provider - not two.

Why should I pay a dime more to get everything the now single company offers?

I don't want best of Sirius, it's no longer just Sirius, it's now Sirius-XM.

This whole deal was bait and switch and the FCC needs to step in.

#12 ·
I'm kind of miffed that Sirius decided to take away the NHL, NBA and college games and make them part of the "Best of" package...

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Vidonic /forum/post/14822019

They are now one company - not two. That means they are one provider - not two. Why should I pay a dime more to get everything the now single company offers?

You know full well there's no way for XM radios to receive Sirius channels (just as there's no way my Microsoft computer can play MS Word for Apple).

Therefore to hear those channels, XM has to "capture" the Sirius broadcast and then convert the signal in an XM format. That process is not a free process. (Plus it's only temporary. Come mid-2009, you'll be able to get a single XM-Sirius radio that can receive both, with no additional charge.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845 /forum/post/14816354

Actually right now as an XM sub, I can get a JUST XM music package for $9.99 a month, which is cheaper then the $13 I pay now.

Well there you go. It's cheaper. And if you get XM+Best of Sirius, it's still only $1 more than what you were paying previously.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzy /forum/post/14822843

I'm kind of miffed that Sirius decided to take away the NHL, NBA and college games and make them part of the "Best of" package...

Sirius didn't "decide to take them away". XM negotiated exclusive contracts with most major division I universities, the NHL and the NBA.

Had there not been a merger, you would not be getting ANY of these games this year on your Sirius radio. You'd have to buy an XM radio and a $13 XM subscription. Thanks to the merger, you can get these games with a $4 Best Of package on your Sirius radio.

Sirius can not afford to pay big money for everything. Thet made their decision. They chose Howard, NFL and Nascar, leaving the door open for XM to come in and swipe up everything else. Sirius is able to carry some college football, but XM owns the rights to the majority of the teams from the major BCS conferences.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy /forum/post/14823087

You know full well there's no way for XM radios to receive Sirius channels (just as there's no way my Microsoft computer can play MS Word for Apple).

Therefore to hear those channels, XM has to "capture" the Sirius broadcast and then convert the signal in an XM format. That process is not a free process. (Plus it's only temporary. Come mid-2009, you'll be able to get a single XM-Sirius radio that can receive both, with no additional charge.) Well there you go. It's cheaper. And if you get XM+Best of Sirius, it's still only $1 more than what you were paying previously.

I know what you are saying, but is Microsoft merged with Apple?

All channels should have been available from day 1 at no extra cost - period.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Vidonic /forum/post/14829257

I know what you are saying, but is Microsoft merged with Apple?

"Microsoft Word for PC" and "Microsoft Word for Apple" are made by the same company, but they are not compatible. You can't stick Word for Apple into an IBM PC and expect it to magically work.

Similarly, XM and Sirius are now broadcast by the same company, but they are not compatible. You can not expect XM-only radio to magically play Sirius channels.

Therefore you need to show some patience rather than demand "from day one" that everything would be merged. (1) They need to design dual-band radios and (2) they need to get them into customers' hands. These things take time.

#18 ·
Believe me, I am not being contrary just to be so.

I do see what you are saying, but I don't think the Microsoft Word comparison mirrors this.

And also, whether or not we will have dual band radios or not, it will still cost us more to get all that the one single company offers. And it's not right.

#19 ·
Okay. One more try:

- You wouldn't expect an AM-only radio to receive the FM band would you? No. You'd have to go buy a new dual-band radio.

- Then why would you expect an XM-only radio to receive the Sirius band?
Quote:
whether or not we will have dual band radios or not, it will still cost us more to get all that the one single company offers

False. Once the dual-band radios are released, both bands will be merged under one single fee, and it won't be any higher than what you are paying now.

And for those of us with a la carte, it will be cheaper.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy /forum/post/14837664

- Then why would you expect an XM-only radio to receive the Sirius band? False. Once the dual-band radios are released, both bands will be merged under one single fee, and it won't be any higher than what you are paying now.

It may be no more than what we pay now for both (ie $13 each or $26 a month). But, almost certainly there will also be fewer channels and less diverse choices than both services combined have now.

#23 ·
Barb is there a chart like that for sirius?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrictroy /forum/post/14837664

Okay. One more try:

- You wouldn't expect an AM-only radio to receive the FM band would you? No. You'd have to go buy a new dual-band radio.

- Then why would you expect an XM-only radio to receive the Sirius band? False. Once the dual-band radios are released, both bands will be merged under one single fee, and it won't be any higher than what you are paying now.

And for those of us with a la carte, it will be cheaper.

This is still an invalid argument to the point I am making.

I am not talking about the units, but the programming.

I don't want a la carte, I want every channel offered by both services at the same price I am paying now.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Vidonic /forum/post/14854051

I don't want a la carte, I want every channel offered by both services at the same price I am paying now.

Your single-band radio doesn't have enough room to carry two bands. What you're demanding is equivalent to saying all AM stations should move to the FM band - it wouldn't work; not enough space.

However once you buy the dual-band XM/Sirius radio, then you will have both bands at the same price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.