Bitrates - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 100 Old 02-24-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Yeah, those, too. It really is out of control, isn't it?

We need a major revolution for sure.

All I know is that when we don't have anything left to give (or aren't here anymore, which is what it seems like the forces that be would really like to see happen as soon as possible), and there's no one else left except the rule and law-skirters, and the only ones with money are the corporations running our government, then who are they gonna get it from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 Old 02-24-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

All I know is that when we don't have anything left to give, then who are they gonna get it from?

AIG is asking for more billions. It sounds like that company is a bottomless pit.

You know as bad as the daily news about the economy is I have this sinking feeling it's even worse than we're being told.
post #93 of 100 Old 02-24-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It will get much worse in the next year, that's all I know right now.

I suppose we (or at least I) should quit. I'm sure these posts will get wiped out soon enough as it is.
post #94 of 100 Old 02-24-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:

All I know is that when we don't have anything left to give (or aren't here anymore, and there's no one else left except the rule and law-skirters, and the only ones with money are the corporations running our government), then who are they gonna get it from?

Do I smell "Third World"?

These people may have a better life here from whence they came, but it won't last long if they don't keep their own people and countries in check. A little birth control might help, too.

Maybe you should brush up on your history. First of all take a look at where Texas land originally came from, so you have millions of mexican descent Tejanos that were born US citizens just from Texas being a part of the US. Also 8 million Puerto Ricans were born US citizens. Puerto Rico = US soil, thus we are US Citizens.

Anyways, back to the subject at hand. This is about maintaining diversity while also getting the quality done right. There has to be a balance. Why would I stovepipe a satellite radio company(if I was its CEO) if there are potential customers out there that have different language tastes.
post #95 of 100 Old 02-24-2009, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm not talking about the Puerto Ricans - they don't have a "takeover mentality", and tend to integrate better here (besides, many PR's I know agree with me on the subject, at least here in the Chicago area).

And history ultimately has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. So don't start with me with that La Raza conquistador cr*p. That's only going to inflame a lot of people more. It's stuff and attitudes like that which hurt their "cause" and make people resent them even more.

I actually like this country and don't want to see it go downhill.

Not that you were doing it, but I don't like someone coming on this forum and promoting something where there's a lot of criminality involved (and being in this country illegally is a criminal offense). It's not allowed here. And neither is what I'm saying, so like I said, we should stop.

Back towards the subject, I don't have any problem with diversity of programming - just so you know. I actually like to listen to music from other cultures myself occasionally.
post #96 of 100 Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:

And history ultimately has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. So don't start with me with that La Raza conquistador cr*p. That's only going to inflame a lot of people more. It's stuff and attitudes like that which hurt their "cause" and make people resent them even more.

You are absolutely right, which is why I don't believe in that philosophy. I just get bothered when some, not you though, decide that no one else listens to channels such as "Caliente." It gives me a little flavor of home or one of the big cities like Chicago out here in the middle of nowhere (serve on a USAF base in the middle of the plains).

Lastly I don't agree with illegal immigration or criminality or even terrorism which is why I do what I do.
post #97 of 100 Old 02-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post

dclark - let's turn the tables, big guy. How would you feel if someone bashed your tastes in music?

Who listens to Pink Floyd these days? Certainly, Deep Tracks is limited only to older, middle-aged psychedelic druggies still stuck in the late 60's. Zzzz! Who listens to them, how many? Since we're well beyond the hippie era, ditch the channel, or at least take away some of its bit rate and give it to another station. Heck, when you're burning up shrooms, does bit rate quality even matter?

(P.S. I actually like Pink Floyd.)

I am sick of the sheep bleating "diversity". Last I checked, the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were written in English, not Spanish. What has all this "tolerance" for spanish gotten us? You have to dial 1 to talk to someone who speaks english, all the stores have signage in spanish and in Los Angeles County (as reported by LA Times last saturday), one of every five residents is on welfare.
post #98 of 100 Old 02-24-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

I am sick of the sheep bleating "diversity". Last I checked, the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were written in English, not Spanish. What has all this "tolerance" for spanish gotten us? You have to dial 1 to talk to someone who speaks english, all the stores have signage in spanish and in Los Angeles County (as reported by LA Times last saturday), one of every five residents is on welfare.

I really don't care about the welfare issue you may have as it's irrelevant to radio bitrates. But since we're on the subject; what I do care about is that our education is falling behind. When Asia and the rest of Europe's children learn to speak more than one language, it's absurd how isolationist and arrogant we've become. So much so that 9/11 was a surprise to us. Let's open our eyes to the rest of the world and be the leaders we should be instead of pretending there's nothing else except the US.

Oh, and though our constitution and declaration of independence were written in English there is no provision that makes it the sole language of the US. We are a melting pot, accept it.
post #99 of 100 Old 02-24-2009, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulstice X View Post

I We are a melting pot, accept it.

Got some evidence to back that up? We are no longer a melting pot- the existence of all those spanish channels on xm, am and FM is proof that you wrong. All those signs at walmart, lowes, etc in spanish also show that what you are saying is false.
post #100 of 100 Old 02-25-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclark View Post

Got some evidence to back that up? We are no longer a melting pot- the existence of all those spanish channels on xm, am and FM is proof that you wrong. All those signs at walmart, lowes, etc in spanish also show that what you are saying is false.

Main Entry: melting pot
Function: noun
Date: 1887
1 a: a place where a variety of races, cultures, or individuals assimilate into a cohesive whole b: the population of such a place
2: a process of blending that often results in invigoration or novelty
— melting–pot adjective

Take another look at American Culture. The latin influence as well as Italian, German, Japanese, Chinese, etc. are all blended in some way. We have Spanish Rock as well as English language Reggaeton and Bachata. I can name a couple of hip-hop artists that have integrated reggaeton into their music such as R. Kelly. What about Tito Nieves that sometimes sings his Salsa (latin jazz) in English. Heck, even if we take a look at country, we see a mix of hip-hop as well as rock integrated in to the music.

So, yes there is proof that we are a melting pot. Maybe not to the point of assimilation like the Borg, but the variety in "American" music (which by the way spanish sung Salsa is a part of due to PR being a territory of the US) is just the beginning of a fusion of new musical styles which meets the definition of blending. Don't close yourself in a box. America is much more than rock, rap, or country. Lastly, if English is so important to you why not speak the Oxford English versus what we speak in America which has a lot of Native American words. Many like to talk about American Culture as it is what it is today, but I challenge you to take another look and see how it has evolved and why the world tends to look at us first.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page