Sirius-XM rate hikes coming in March - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 82 Old 01-31-2009, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, being as I was completely happy with the service in early 2005 and there was no sign things would deteriorate the way they did, I was happy to sign up for 5 years. That decision has been sort of a mistake although not entirely-- I still like some aspects of what XM could be. All the merger talk had me alternately fretting and hoping of what would come of it and sadly it's worse than I ever imagined it would be.

So basically... why I subscribed for 5 years was because I loved the service and wanted to lock in the $9.95/mo rate... but it's gotten to the point that I don't see any bribe keeping me around for how things are now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 01-31-2009, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I can barely justify the $77 per year rate that I've had for the past three years. Not sure about my next renewal, but even $78 per year would be pushing it at this point.

post #63 of 82 Old 02-02-2009, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have a question about this lock in rate.
I just got the email but it wasn't clear.
Right now I have one subscription with the best of XM that expires at the end of February.
If I renew before then, will I get the upgraded internet for free?
They seem to imply that the 32k stream was going away.

I saw the press release that you need to lock in for like 3 years but that wasn't mentioned in the email.
post #64 of 82 Old 02-02-2009, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

I have a question about this lock in rate.
I just got the email but it wasn't clear.
Right now I have one subscription with the best of XM that expires at the end of February.
If I renew before then, will I get the upgraded internet for free?
They seem to imply that the 32k stream was going away.

I saw the press release that you need to lock in for like 3 years but that wasn't mentioned in the email.

I got the same email. The basic XM service for the primary unit does not change in value. Locking in the primary unit only locks in the internet stream. The streaming will go away for renewals after the March cut-off date. I'm not sure that the 32k stream will go away since they already have a 32k and 64k stream as it is. It will probably be renamed Low (32k), Medium (64k), and High (128k).

If you want to keep your streaming and don't want to pay extra then you need to lock in before the cut-off date. If you have a second radio then you need to lock it in before the cut-off date as well to avoid the $2 increase. Saying that reminds me to turn off my second radio's auto-renewal.

EDIT: Just called about my second radio and got it reduced to $4.99 per month for three months instead of an increase to $8.99. So now I have one radio at $77/year and another at $4.99/month.

post #65 of 82 Old 02-03-2009, 05:41 PM

Liked: 10
I just got the rate hike e-mail this evening. What a crock... The economy is in the dumps, but hey, that sounds like a good time to make people's bills a little higher to try to make up for their ENORMOUS debt. Would the rake hike kill me? No, it's just the principle.

I am seriously tempted to cancel both radios or at least one. I am adding an aux-in to my truck's radio so I can enjoy Pandora instead...
post #66 of 82 Old 02-03-2009, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
I canceled today out of principal. My fiance and I are very big Stern fans but honestly I can't justify the price to just listen to his show. The rate hike kind of reminded me what we are paying to listen to just his show. Then throw in that the internet package isn't included anymore? No thanks.

post #67 of 82 Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 AM

yeah, i'm locking in 1 radio and cancelling the other. i believe they would have more cancellations than people signing up for the $2 increase, and it would end up being a very bad idea...
post #68 of 82 Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845 View Post

Yeah, the timing of this price hike leaves me shaking my head.

There's hundreds of FREE Internet music stations on-line, so what does SiriusXm do? They start charging a fee for their Internet feed?!

And a recession has officially hit full force, so they choose now to hike their rates?!

I know the company is in serious trouble, and we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. But on the surface these moves seem foolish right now, and they smell of desperation too.

Shoutcast alone has 28,000 streams! I think they claim like 22,00 unique streams.

I haven't been able to stream XM for a while now and when I called them up to fix it, they told me they were going to start charging in march. I just laughed at them. Make me pay for what I consider to be pretty poor programing these days as apposed to get much better content for free. I have been an XM sub since the first year and am going to cancel when they raise my rates.

Greg
post #69 of 82 Old 02-05-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845 View Post

I've never been one to bitch and moan about the SQ of XM. It is what it is.

So far I still have XM in my car BUT on some trips I take my Slacker G2 radio and plug that in instead of the Roadie.

The SQ difference is astounding. The Slacker sounds soooo much better, and much better separation too.

This made my day!
What great music.
I must have E-mailed 15 people telling them about Slacker,
so many great tunes. (Metal)
I'll check out Pandora next.
Thanks
Finn
post #70 of 82 Old 02-06-2009, 03:37 PM

not really sure about this, but once the usirius app gets approved for the iphone, would it be any cheaper to do it that way as opposed to over the radio?
post #71 of 82 Old 02-08-2009, 05:57 AM

Liked: 16
I got the email last night (first I'd heard about this) and that is it. No more. I've had an XM SkyFi in my car since June 2004. I streamed a lot when it became available. I loved being able to drive for hours and hours without ever losing a signal. I signed up as soon as I could for the Best of Sirius package when it became available. But no more. The complete loss of everything I liked about the XM music programming, the continually-increasing costs and gouging ($2 a month to send me a bill, what the hell is that?), and the fact that I can find a better use for $240 a year, means XM is gone and dead to me. I'm going to look into Slacker. If I'm not happy with what I see there, I'll take the money I was going to spend on satellite radio and buy myself a shiny new iPod.
post #72 of 82 Old 02-08-2009, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post

I got the email last night (first I'd heard about this) and that is it. No more. I've had an XM SkyFi in my car since June 2004. I streamed a lot when it became available. I loved being able to drive for hours and hours without ever losing a signal. I signed up as soon as I could for the Best of Sirius package when it became available. But no more. The complete loss of everything I liked about the XM music programming, the continually-increasing costs and gouging ($2 a month to send me a bill, what the hell is that?), and the fact that I can find a better use for $240 a year, means XM is gone and dead to me. I'm going to look into Slacker. If I'm not happy with what I see there, I'll take the money I was going to spend on satellite radio and buy myself a shiny new iPod.

Ipod

Love my Ipod. go get one as you can find all the music you want

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #73 of 82 Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

Ipod

Love my Ipod. go get one as you can find all the music you want

That'll be my third iPod. I've been wanting an iPod Touch and now that I see that there's a Slacker app for it, I just might spring for the 32-gig once the tax refund from Uncle Sam gets here in two weeks. It's either that or a new 120-gig classic, though I've never managed to completely fill my 80-gig. I might also try replacing the hard drive in my old 40-gig 4g or even go flash, since that will work fine for in the car (seriously, who needs video in the car?) and won't be as big a deal if I lose it. (Despite its audio jack problems, I'm still wary of loss or damage to my 80-gig 5g.)
post #74 of 82 Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 AM

These Sirius folks have got to think us subscribers are dumb.
I have three subscriptions, and also listen on line.
I'm a road warrior and stay in hotels many nights per month. I have just purchased some very expensive Bose lap top speakers to enhance my "on-line" experience. I've been tuning in on Pandora off and on for several months.
After my subscriptions lapse, I'll NOT RENEW with Sirius, or who ever they become after their financial collapse.
I wrote the FCC prior to the XM deal. I told them that the level of servce would deminish, the programing would decline, and the rates somehow would increase. All the above has come though.
Shame to Sirius, it's been a long ride since the begining when I was a charter subscriber.
post #75 of 82 Old 02-08-2009, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a Zune.....

I have a G2 Slacker....

And I still have one XM sub left. It's a portable unit so it can go anywhere with me.

I'm all set. Let the chips all where they may now. If SiriusXM folds, or ceases to exist for one reason or another between my Zune and my G2 I will be happy. If XM folds I will miss baseball. When I travel in the summer I do like to keep up on the MLB, and XM is great for that. But now I can get an MLB sub and listen too all the games online, that's not as convenient but it's serviceable.
post #76 of 82 Old 02-16-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat6366 View Post

boy that mel k sure is a genius.

serious.
post #77 of 82 Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 AM

ATTENTION alll techies, I need some technical advice about a new after market Sirius radio tuner and interface that I had installed in my new 2008 Totota Highlander.
The factory installed radio has the "SAT" button on the radio. It's ready for satilitte but it was not part of the factory installed radio. I purchased the "add-on" equipment as suggested by Toyota. The new equipment works just fine for a few days, but it doesn't always find the satilite interface. The dealer had changed the entire package and I still have the same package. I called Sirius tech support, and you all know what a problem that is. After 65 minuites on the phone and on "hold" they informed me they had no clue. The after market units have the official "Sirius" logo all over it, but Sirius shrugs their shoulders.
Has any of you experienced a similar problem?
post #78 of 82 Old 02-18-2009, 12:59 PM

Has anyone received a cheaper rate for renewal with Stern and Computer access then the $142.45 for one year the postcard they sent me offered?

PKinSFLA
post #79 of 82 Old 02-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

I got the email about the rate hike etc. and am wondering now...I just got a subscription for the second radio only a few months ago, and it was paid for a year (since that's how we pay for the main subscription). Since that's already paid for, then the rate hike won't take effect on the second subscription until it's up for renewal, right?

As for the Internet stream I really don't use it, so that's not much of a loss for me.

TIA,
DGK
post #80 of 82 Old 02-18-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniem View Post

ATTENTION alll techies, I need some technical advice about a new after market Sirius radio tuner and interface that I had installed in my new 2008 Totota Highlander.
The factory installed radio has the "SAT" button on the radio. It's ready for satilitte but it was not part of the factory installed radio. I purchased the "add-on" equipment as suggested by Toyota. The new equipment works just fine for a few days, but it doesn't always find the satilite interface. The dealer had changed the entire package and I still have the same package. I called Sirius tech support, and you all know what a problem that is. After 65 minuites on the phone and on "hold" they informed me they had no clue. The after market units have the official "Sirius" logo all over it, but Sirius shrugs their shoulders.
Has any of you experienced a similar problem?

I don't have any knowledge of your hardware, but I suspect you'll do better if you post a new thread instead of posting in an unrelated existing thread.

Brian
post #81 of 82 Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 AM

I'm new to this site.
I'm not sure what path to take to gather some feedback from other Sirius users who may have experienced problems such as mine.
Any suggestions?
Thanks for the heads up.
I may just go to slacker with my Blackberry and go wireless to my radio.
post #82 of 82 Old 02-22-2009, 08:49 AM

With S-XM on the verge of going broke, they should investigate some new ideas....

Many cars have sat radio as standard equipment, so what if S-XM put up a few ad-supported channels for people who don't sub anymore?
I'm sure you could entice new signups by giving away a few channels that are ad-supported, and at the same time that would allow sub prices to remain low.

You basically pay extra (get a sub) to kill ads and get a few more channels.

I'm sure people who listen to S-XM because they drive cross-country (like truckers), or live in the middle of nowhere (no local stations exist) would have no problem with the ads-only and be happy to listen to it. And for everyone else it would be a come-on to get a sub.

S-XM would sell more receivers if they did this too.

I suspect it would also make the FCC happy if they did this.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page