Sirius-XM rate hikes coming in March - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 82 Old 01-21-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I cancelled a few months ago, but for those who are still paying, didn't see this posted yet......

http://siriusbuzz.com/sirius-xm-rate...-confirmed.php

http://consumerist.com/5136200/confi...rates-march-11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 01-21-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Yep, saw the news on Sternfanetwork.

Anything else, Robin?

No Howard, I am offically done. I'll listen to your lifeless show with D list boy band members and Joan freaken Rivers as you count your 15 million your last 2 years and your Fridays off and every postal holiday off and listen to you the next day like everyone else.

post #3 of 82 Old 01-21-2009, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 605
It looks like they will be losing some money from me. I will be dropping my second receiver because of this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #4 of 82 Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone have a full list of promises made to the FCC prior to the merger that we can expect them to break in the coming months?

*I realize that the "no rate hikes" applied to the base right, but removing services from the base plan and charging to get them back seems to be an end around.

Why would I pay for online radio when there are better alternatives that don't have me channel surfing like I did with the new XM before I cancelled (in favor of streaming internet radio/iPod podcasts).
post #5 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

I thought it was a very bad move myself regarding the internet radio hike. It will motivate people to look for alternatives, and then Slacker and Pandora will be found, among others..........for free. Then, people will soon figure out that these services are also available via cell phones and portable devices, and ask........why would I pay for satellite???

Just my 2 cents........
post #6 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Boy that Mel K sure is a genius.
post #7 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

I thought it was a very bad move myself regarding the internet radio hike. It will motivate people to look for alternatives, and then Slacker and Pandora will be found, among others..........for free. Then, people will soon figure out that these services are also available via cell phones and portable devices, and ask........why would I pay for satellite???

Just my 2 cents........

I already done just that, looked around and found Slacker. So now I'm using Slacker more and more. I was going to cancel 2 of my 3 XM units in Jan., then decided not to and wait until their subscription ran out in March to make a decision. This rate hike made up my mind.

In March I'll be down to just 1 XM unit.
post #8 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Unfortunitly losing two of my favorite stations(the vault and buzzsaw)and being replaced with crap(boneyard and deeptracks)ill have some serious thinking to do.

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #9 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Those guys at siriusbuzz.com sure do love their satellite radio. I guess when you are a stock holder of a tanking stock you'll look for hope anywhere.

Even though it is only a few dollars per month, I'm having a hard enough time getting value out of $77 per year plus the $6 per month second car radio. When it gets added up per year I see that I'd rather have the money than their service.

Now if their service improved that might be a different story, but at this rate it's looking like the typical model of cable company service. Move stuff from one plan to another, increase the need for the higher plan, charge a little more each year, and before you know it you are paying a lot more than you realize.

I use my "free" internet feed the most and the regular car service comes in second. It looks like I would need to purchase the internet feed option to continue to receive the same value as I do now. That's now $36 more per year plus my second car is $24 more per year. I'm now up to $60 more per year to stay where I am today. I'm already paying $149 per year ($77 plus $6x12) so now I'm up to $209 per year and that's with the "one time" $77 discount.

post #10 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

Anyone have a full list of promises made to the FCC prior to the merger that we can expect them to break in the coming months?

*I realize that the "no rate hikes" applied to the base right, but removing services from the base plan and charging to get them back seems to be an end around.

Why would I pay for online radio when there are better alternatives that don't have me channel surfing like I did with the new XM before I cancelled (in favor of streaming internet radio/iPod podcasts).

I beleive the FCC said nothing about raising your or any additional subscriptions .

that my friend is called"a loophole".........

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

post #11 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Yep, around 60% of my listening is done on the internet.
If they start charging for that over and above, I am done.
The sign of good faith I was looking for was making the 128k feed free for everyone.
What a slap in the face.
Add to this:
AM Radio sound quality
Bubba (not a huge fan but they diluted the product by repeating a censored show)
Cinemagic - gone and not replaced (200 channels and you can't find room for a movie station???)
Howard's (the reason I subscribe in the first place) continued downward spiral of energy towards his show.
I honestly feel we are listening to a 2 year retirement show.
post #12 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

this may be the last straw for me...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #13 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

I just set up Mundu on my Windows mobile smart phone......for free! http://mundu.com/products/mundu-radio/features

So far it seems to work pretty well, and you can add any internet radio stream to customize your play list. Being that I have an unlimited data plan, this seems like it will be a good alternative in the car for me. It works even with one bar in an Edge network.

Also, Slacker just released versions of its service for Iphone and Blackberries.......pretty cool if you have one of those devices!

Oh............did I mention that I love the FREE!
post #14 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 12:45 PM

Liked: 12
Cinemagic is on channel 76. I just checked to make sure. They need to bring back Beyond Jazz in some form before my sub is up in March. They also killed Musical Starstreams on the Chill Channel. Quality is going down.
post #15 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 01:07 PM

I wrote a letter to the FCC and urged against the merger - especially since both CEO's said they could be profitable within a year on their own anyway. I listen online every few weeks - not a big deal, but I was thinking about adding a portable unit for a 2nd vehicle/hand-held situation. That is now out.

Also, I have a lifetime sub on my one unit. What does it mean that I can pay $500 for a lifetime sub to lock-in rates? If base rates can't change for 3 years - what does the $500 buy (even to a monthly sub)?! Unlimited online? Unlimited 2nd receiver? That's the rate for a full first-unit lifetime account!

Here is an EW story that pretty much sums up the way I feel.

"Sirius XM raising costs? Vive le monopoly!"

Quote:

Some six months after last summer's merger between Sirius Satellite Radio and rival XM Radio, we're now seeing reports that the new Sirius XM is raising prices starting March 11, charging $2 more per month for additional subscriptions, and $2.99 a month for online streaming (formerly part of the base package). This move is seemingly in line with the FCC merger agreement because technically, the company is not raising its base price -- if you have one receiver and don't stream online, you're not affected. What's more, if you call Sirius XM customer service, someone will explain to you that you can lock in the current rate if you sign up for a three-year subscription (which in satellite radio years, is like, well, a decade). Still, the post-merger move feels like a disconcerting harbinger of price increases to come.

I've personally never been a Howard Stern fan (seems every day there's fewer of those around), and at home, I plug my Internet-connected laptop into the stereo to listen to various online radio as well as my MP3 collection. That means the only place I really listen to satellite radio is my car or at work via the Internet. I like having Sirius on my four-hour road trips to see my Boston-based in-laws, but I think I might just stick with terrestrial radio and my iPod (connected via an inexpensive yet adequate-at-least-in-rural-areas FM modulator) for car rides and ditch the satellite radio rather than pay an extra 3 bucks a month just to listen at work. Yes, it's about saving cash. But it's also about saying screw you to this monopoly before it bites me in the behind.

Anyone else gonna chuck their satellite radio if this price-jacking rumor is true? How do you listen to radio these days? Or perhaps radio really is a dead medium...?

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009...-xm-raisi.html

Well, Here's my Sig!!!
post #16 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 05:30 PM

If Siri really publicises this and tries to push people into multiple year subscriptions (like they did three years ago), it means that they are seeking a one time boost in revenues to help keep the bankruptcy vultures from feasting on its bottom line.

Think about- for years, they have depended on new car sales for subcriptions. Now, no one is buy cars and no one is buying new subscriptions.. They are trying to get the equivalent of a dead cart bounce.
post #17 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Cinematic is most definitely back, it's one of the only reasons I haven't cancelled. They've also let DaveZ put back a little of the clips between the songs that Sirius made him pull.

Robert Clark
post #18 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Why would you pay for this when there are already hundreds (er.. thousands) of internet radio steams already available for free? Many of which are >128kbps...

I am still thinking of cancelling my Sirius subscription. The fact that internet users will be getting better quality audio than my satellite receiver is another reason to axe the service. I signed up for "Sirius Satellite Radio", not "Sirius internet radio"
post #19 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Why would you pay for this when there are already hundreds (er.. thousands) of internet radio steams already available for free? Many of which are >128kbps...

I am still thinking of cancelling my Sirius subscription. The fact that internet users will be getting better quality audio than my satellite receiver is another reason to axe the service. I signed up for "Sirius Satellite Radio", not "Sirius internet radio"

I use my Iphone like my XM inno portable- I jog with it and listen to internet music via Pandora. Get this- Pandora uses aac like XM, but check out the bit rate difference:
XM: 32bpks
Pandora: 64bkps
You now know why I love listening to streaming internet music off my Iphone !
post #20 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I bought Sirius with the intention of spending the majority of my listening time in the car. Sure when in town I could buy an iPhone and use it to stream free internet radio, but on long trips out of town where there is no data coverage, Sirius is the only streaming audio option.
post #21 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

I bought Sirius with the intention of spending the majority of my listening time in the car. Sure when in town I could buy an iPhone and use it to stream free internet radio, but on long trips out of town where there is no data coverage, Sirius is the only streaming audio option.

I'll agree with you on that for now. They are still building towers and expanding coverage. For the times I don't get cell service, there is always back up music. However, I still have gotten lack of sat coverage on some of my long trips, like along cliffs and through areas with tall trees. Go down CA highway 1 and you'll see what I mean.
The other time I like it is when I am on cruises and usually can get a signal in the eastern carib and western carrib to just north of Cozumel.
Still, not good reasons to shell out $13 a month.
post #22 of 82 Old 01-22-2009, 07:52 PM

from the sound of it, looks like if you have only one subscription it wouldn't change, but if you added a second it would increase. Did I misread something or what?
post #23 of 82 Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Unless you don't mind losing or paying for the internet stream now.
post #24 of 82 Old 01-23-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Unless you don't mind losing or paying for the internet stream now.

I don't listen to Sirius online anyway, but, according to the article, my one and only subscription won't change, only if I add an additional sub? I am a bit confused by that.
post #25 of 82 Old 01-23-2009, 08:19 AM

I bought a new vehicle a year ago and got a free year of Sirius. They called me the other night to get me to renew. Had a "2 year special" for something like $450. I said i want the $6.99 month deal where i pick the 50 stations I want. They said I need the new receiver that can only pick up that signal. What total f'ing BS. It's the same goddam signal, dont give me that crap that you cant send that signal to the factory radio in my new vehicle. Isaid your stock is at $.10 a share and I am a shareholder, I would think you guys would do anything you possibly can to keep subscribers.
post #26 of 82 Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CURX8 View Post

I don't listen to Sirius online anyway, but, according to the article, my one and only subscription won't change, only if I add an additional sub? I am a bit confused by that.

You know, now I am not positive the way the article is written. The way that I interpret it though is that all subscribers will have to pay for the internet stream if they want to keep it.......................hopefully its not an automatic thing..........what a mess....
post #27 of 82 Old 01-23-2009, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm no marketing or business genius but it seems like this is a real stupid approach for them to take. Seems like the add on subs are all bonus for them, since the fixed costs of billing, etc are all taken care of with the main account. That being the case, rather than raise the rate and chase people away, why not lower by 1-$2 and try to attract more people to add subs? And with the internet stream why take it away and piss people off, instead attract more customers by offering an internet only option for those that don't want to buy SR hardware. I will be done with at least one extra sub and possilby my entire account if this goes through.
post #28 of 82 Old 01-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6366 View Post

I'm no marketing or business genius but it seems like this is a real stupid approach for them to take. Seems like the add on subs are all bonus for them, since the fixed costs of billing, etc are all taken care of with the main account. That being the case, rather than raise the rate and chase people away, why not lower by 1-$2 and try to attract more people to add subs? And with the internet stream why take it away and piss people off, instead attract more customers by offering an internet only option for those that don't want to buy SR hardware. I will be done with at least one extra sub and possilby my entire account if this goes through.

There business gurus feel that the loss of subscriptions by adding $2 will net more than the increase in subscriptions by dropping $X.

There already is an internet only subscription. I think it's $8 a month.
post #29 of 82 Old 01-24-2009, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithos View Post

There business gurus feel that the loss of subscriptions by adding $2 will net more than the increase in subscriptions by dropping $X.

There already is an internet only subscription. I think it's $8 a month.

Their business gurus have done such a great job with the company to this point, they must be right.
post #30 of 82 Old 01-24-2009, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I only have one radio in my car, a Skifi2 and really have become hooked on it. I only listen to the local news radio station on FM now. I re-upped with a three year membership last year and just bought the lifetime (on equipment) membership because I could apply the remaining two years to it. Cost me an extra $142, non-refundable, and I took the gamble. If satellite radio stays in business for another three to four years, I will make out. If not, I'm SOL.

As to quality of programming.....I hate Howard Stern....he has no attraction for me. He really has no talent as oppossed to a guy who was rail-roaded here in the DC area, Doug Tracht, aka - The Greaseman. Howard Stern has spewed far worse and continues to operate. It's also all personal preference as I liked XM programming better then Sirius, but it's what I'm used to.

Just my opinion on Stern. If you like him, great.

I really hope satellite radio contimues at least until someone figures out how to make internet radio feasible in a moving car environment.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page