XM playing the same songs over and over? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 03-20-2009, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else noticed that since the merger XM seems to play a lot of the same songs over and over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-20-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon summit View Post

Has anyone else noticed that since the merger XM seems to play a lot of the same songs over and over?

Yep, welcome to the Sirius part of SiriusXM.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-20-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I'm tellin' ya', I really don't think Sirius was this bad when it was by itself.

I had it on Dish, and I listen to XM/Sirius when I'm in my buddy's car now, and not only do I hear songs replayed over in the short times I'm in it (like on the way going somewhere first, and then again a few hours later when we're coming home), but they are a lot more of the commercial "hits" by the bands. Even Sirius alone didn't strictly just stick to the hits on the same stations that are playing them now.

I would hear songs repeated from day to day on some channels, but not hourly, and not necessarily the big hits. What I'm hearing now is actually worse than FM radio, in some ways.

I'm not sticking up for Sirius over XM in any way here - I admit they were bad enough before - but not quite this bad. They've really squeezed down the playlists all around since they've merged.

It might be easier or more convienient to just blame them for "Sirius-izing" it, but they've really made it worse altogether now.
post #4 of 30 Old 03-20-2009, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I've been listening to XM CHILL 84. They were somewhat repetitious awhile back, but nowhere near as bad now. It was shuffle and repeat every other day in the beginning.
Now it's everyday, and a lot of the really good stuff has vanished completely. Sad.
post #5 of 30 Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Whoops! Forgot to add that the "awhile back" was before the merger.

----------------------------------------
Edit: To be fair they had a deeper playlist before the merger. Not so much now
post #6 of 30 Old 03-20-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

I'm tellin' ya', I really don't think Sirius was this bad when it was by itself.

I had it on Dish, and I listen to XM/Sirius when I'm in my buddy's car now, and not only do I hear songs replayed over in the short times I'm in it (like on the way going somewhere first, and then again a few hours later when we're coming home), but they are a lot more of the commercial "hits" by the bands. Even Sirius alone didn't strictly just stick to the hits on the same stations that are playing them now.

I would hear songs repeated from day to day on some channels, but not hourly, and not necessarily the big hits. What I'm hearing now is actually worse than FM radio, in some ways.

I'm not sticking up for Sirius over XM in any way here - I admit they were bad enough before - but not quite this bad. They've really squeezed down the playlists all around since they've merged.

It might be easier or more convienient to just blame them for "Sirius-izing" it, but they've really made it worse altogether now.

I've noticed the same thing. The playlists have become ridiculous and with the death of "The Vault" I've been listening less to SXM and more to HD radio and internet stuff.

Too bad, I miss all the prog stuff on "The Vault".
post #7 of 30 Old 03-20-2009, 11:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

Too bad, I miss all the prog stuff on "The Vault".

I don't have it now, but losing that is what effectively killed it for me. I especially liked the week-nightly "Progressions" show.

I listen to a lot of Prog, Fusion and other stuff on Slacker now, and I dig it a lot (have it on right now, in fact). Don't have the player, though. I'm kind of afraid to take a chance on one, hearing all the time about how buggy they can be - even with the newer model, and still after the updates to the older one. Seems for every problem-free one, I read about two or three flaky ones.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-21-2009, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have it now, but losing that is what effectively killed it for me. I especially liked the week-nightly "Progressions" show.

I listen to a lot of Prog, Fusion and other stuff on Slacker now, and I dig it a lot (have it on right now, in fact). Don't have the player, though. I'm kind of afraid to take a chance on one, hearing all the time about how buggy they can be - even with the newer model, and still after the updates to the older one. Seems for every problem-free one, I read about two or three flaky ones.

I haven't had any problems with my Slacker G2( the newer model). But oh yeah when I read the forums some of the G2's can be buggy, and the G1's are very buggy.

BUT as the prices continue to drop, especially on the G1, I'm thinking of buying a G1 to carry around and kick around with this summer and leaving the G2 exclusively in my car. I've seen some 2gig G1's for $40-50. Nice price and IMO, worth a chance.

But yeah as I mentioned in another thread here, the music selection and the SQ on these Slacker units are much better then SXM, Slacker reminds me of XM of a few years ago.
post #9 of 30 Old 03-22-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Progressions was great. I don't know who took over the programming with the merger, but it seemed to be another part of the general downward slope of the company.

Thanks to you and barbie845 for the tip on Slacker.
post #10 of 30 Old 03-23-2009, 10:53 AM

You alway get a very interesting take on this xm/sirius product, kind of like the o& A/Howard war.

Before the merger, I thought Sirius had better music period. The times I sampled Xm I never found that wow I hadn't heard this in years or ever factor.

Now it may be the way I listen, which is jump between classic soul, new wave, spectrum, buzzsaw, xmu, 70's , and 80's and metal. I always still find a good song.

And post merger Buzzsaw has been phenom with Eddie Trunk's show being the best around, even new wave began to play a few diff Elvis Costello songs instead of watching or pump it up.

Post merger I have been pretty happy with the playlists, thinking maybe its a best of both worlds approach.

I think the programmers have to watch the lazy approach and make sure if they do play let's say Zeppelin once an hour, it's a diff song each time.

With all the music in the world there is no reason that they can't go a month without repeating a song.

I would love to have a preset scan where you can pick your 10 stations and scan between them or even have the songs print out.

For those of you who are complaining about repeating songs are you staying on just one station?
post #11 of 30 Old 03-23-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AALLOCA View Post

You alway get a very interesting take on this xm/sirius product, kind of like the o& A/Howard war.

Before the merger, I thought Sirius had better music period. The times I sampled Xm I never found that wow I hadn't heard this in years or ever factor.

Now it may be the way I listen, which is jump between classic soul, new wave, spectrum, buzzsaw, xmu, 70's , and 80's and metal. I always still find a good song.

And post merger Buzzsaw has been phenom with Eddie Trunk's show being the best around, even new wave began to play a few diff Elvis Costello songs instead of watching or pump it up.

Post merger I have been pretty happy with the playlists, thinking maybe its a best of both worlds approach.

I think the programmers have to watch the lazy approach and make sure if they do play let's say Zeppelin once an hour, it's a diff song each time.

With all the music in the world there is no reason that they can't go a month without repeating a song.

I would love to have a preset scan where you can pick your 10 stations and scan between them or even have the songs print out.

For those of you who are complaining about repeating songs are you staying on just one station?

I do primarily listen to XM54 and have listened to it for over four years. I listen to other stations as well but probably 75% or more on 54. I figure after listening to XM for that long I've got a pretty good feel about the programming before the merger and now after.

I could really care less about XM vs Sirius, I know some people feel pretty strongly one was better than the other. I got XM because I bought a new GMC Denali and GM goes with XM. I live in a rural area and I travel a lot so I got sick of trying to find a new channel over and over as I travel across the state. The free trail period that came with the truck sold me on Sat. radio. If GM had Surius I'd been a Surius customer for years now.

I noticed a distinct difference in the repetition after the merger. Jane's Addiction for one artist, I hear more of their songs than I ever heard before. I don't mind Jane's Addiction, just one artist that I've noticed they play a lot of now. Others too.

I agree that there is enough material out there that a guy shouldn't hear the same songs over and over. If I'm listening to 20 on 20 I expect it but most of the channels I don't really think you should be finding yourself thinking "I hear this song everytime I'm in my truck..."
post #12 of 30 Old 03-23-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not a fanboy XM vs Sirius thing. It's been pretty much agreed upon that over the years by most Sirius and XM subs that Sirius programming philosophy is more hit oriented, they had more shallow playlists. And XM used/had deeper playlists.

I'm not saying one is better or worse. Some people like Sirius's approach, some XM's. That's just the way it's been for years. And now that SXM is using Sirius's philosophy, many people, including me, aren't happy with the change.

I liked XM's deeper playlists for 7 years. In the past I might have heard Stairway to Heaven once every 2 weeks on Top Trax(channel 46).. Now I hear Stairway to Heaven every single day. Don't get me wrong, I love the song, and Zepp is probably my favorite group of all time. But I don't need to hear Stairway to Heaven 2-3 times a day now.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-23-2009, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, you're basically right. It's just that I would more often hear obscure stuff on XM that was obscure for a good reason. Not always, but often (and when I heard obscure stuff on Sirius, even if it was repeated during the week, it was always something that I enjoyed).

I could've probably lived with either equally just fine, though, because it would've evened out for me. The Progressive Rock of The Vault would've been offset for the most part by Baseball on XM.

(Although I did like Sirius' Underground Garage a lot, and I don't know if XM had anything comparable to that.)
post #14 of 30 Old 03-24-2009, 03:26 AM

My 2 cents: The playlists have definitely changed. I'm an XM sub who listened mostly to The Loft and Deep Tracks pre-merger. My "favorite" song list, culled largely from those channels, would beep at me several times a day. Post-merger, I've found myself gravitating to a Sirius addition, The Spectrum, because the list on The Loft, in particular, seemed to have changed. Further evidence: My "favorites" are silent; hardly a beep all day long -- with the exception of Springsteen (no surprise, after the addition of E Street Radio).
post #15 of 30 Old 04-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

As an XM sub for the last few years, I feel the merger has hurt what was once a great subscription service. The Sirius-izing of the music channels is atrocious. I had many favourite programs, like Bangers & Mashers, My Top 6 and Here and There, the British Invasion program disappear from the 60's channel, as well as the Beatle Bell. Replaced by more DJ chatter, repetiton and just out and out shallow play lists. Sirius has ruined a good thing and has pretty much killed a lot of interest in what Satellite Radio was all about. I'm sure some Sirius subs lost some of their favourite programs, after the merger, but this thread is about XM programming and it is worse after the merger, plain and simple!

I own a Samsung BD UP5000 with over a 1000 Blu Ray Movies

I also own a Toshiba D3 & Toshiba A30 plus 175 HD DVD Movies

post #16 of 30 Old 04-06-2009, 12:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I take it you actually had Sirius in the past - and long enough to assess and compare it thoroughly? Just wondering, because you never said that you did.

Sirius didn't ruin anything. The company in it's present formation that owns what was formerly both services did. They've degraded it into something that's worse than either of them were before.

And if you want to be go even further and be totally honest, both services progressively got worse in a lot of ways on their own since their inception, even before the merger.
post #17 of 30 Old 04-06-2009, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

I take it you actually had Sirius in the past - and long enough to assess and compare it thoroughly? Just wondering, because you never said that you did.

Sirius didn't ruin anything. The company in it's present formation that owns what was formerly both services did. They've degraded it into something that was worse than either of them were before.

And if you want to be go even further and be totally honest, both services progressively got worse in a lot of ways on their own since their inception, even before the merger.

Plus the price keeps going up. Nothing like paying more for less.

post #18 of 30 Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

It's funny how you can go back over the years of posts regarding the programming style of the two different services and the common thoughts always tended to be that Sirius had shallower playlists with more repitition and XM had deeper playlists with less repition. Now after the merger when there are complaints of song repitition and top 40 mentatlity programming people claim that it is has nothing to do with the former Sirius programming style.
post #19 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 02:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, if you want to take that road, someone could just as easily claim that Sirius has been "XM-ized".

Think about it.
post #20 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, if you want to take that road, someone could just as easily claim that Sirius has been "XM-ized".

Think about it.

Yeah that 'think about it' is deep.

You're in the minority here Ramm. Again, it's just a different philosophy. IMO Sirius hasn't 'ruined' XM, but SiriusXM is definitely using Sirius shallower playlist and using many more DJ's then XM ever used.

Some people like that, that's cool. But many people, especially XM subs who have been with XM a long time look at SXM music stations as now being Sirius-ized.

BTW I did have Sirius in the past,I think late 2007.It came OEM with my Ford.
post #21 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Think about it.

Go back and read the many posts that discuss the programming and see waht Sirius subscribers have said about the it. Then look at the complaints after the merger, then use your brain(you can do it) to decide who "ized" the other.
The shallow playlist approach is appealing to many people and it is a personal preference, so there is not really a right or wrong. Unless of course they were to do some VOC and find out why their current customers subscribe to the service, then they may have taken a different approach. My guess is the egos involved were way to big for any kind of ratiaonale thought like that.
post #22 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
YES, finally other people have noticed too! I quit listening to XM radio and switched to a local OTA channel, 89.3mhz (KCMP) The Current (thecurrent.org) Can we say free and great local music from MPR!
I was listening to 90s on 9, and it got so bad with playing the same "crap" I could not stand it anymore... Used to be my favorite channel and the merger destroyed that...

KD0MOF

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the poster's only and NOT that of the poster's employers.
post #23 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

XM was slowly deteriorating before the merger with Sirius. Sirius just sped things up. Now the services are becomming the corporate-playlist-entities that they initially were to be a alternative to.

It was probably inevitable as non-music types began calling the shots.

Clear Channel all over again -- this time over satellite.
post #24 of 30 Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bigelow View Post

XM was slowly deteriorating before the merger with Sirius. Sirius just sped things up. Now the services are becomming the corporate-playlist-entities that they initially were to be a alternative to.

It was probably inevitable as non-music types began calling the shots.

Clear Channel all over again -- this time over satellite.

Exactly. If you look at XM radio boards, you will see consitent complaints year after year that they were getting more and more shallow. I liked XM programming from 2002 much better than 2007, not to mention the slide in sound quality. Too bad enough others did not like it evidently. It will be pretty ironic if as you say, the "alternative" to bland terrestrial radio has to become just like it to survive.

XBOX Live: SheriffTruman

Do you want a nice Keystone Jack panel behind your TV with HDMI, and Toslink? Check
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 30 Old 04-08-2009, 02:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6366 View Post

Go back and read the many posts that discuss the programming and see waht Sirius subscribers have said about it. Then look at the complaints after the merger, then use your brain(you can do it) to decide who "ized" the other.

Who cares? What does that matter? Each side has every much of a right to complain as the other, whether anyone thinks so or not.

If anyone here is truly unhappy with the format now, call Sirius/XM and complain.

Take some responsibility rather than unconstructively taking it out on each other and fighting like grade school-aged kids about irrelevant stuff such as who actually "ized" the other.

That was my point.
post #26 of 30 Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Who cares? What does that matter? Each side has every much of a right to complain as the other, whether anyone thinks so or not.

If anyone here is truly unhappy with the format now, call Sirius/XM and complain.

Take some responsibility rather than unconstructively taking it out on each other and fighting like grade school-aged kids about irrelevant stuff such as who actually "ized" the other.

That was my point.

I have complained. Your point did not come through very well, it seemed like more of the school aged kids stuff. Sorry to have misunderstood.
post #27 of 30 Old 04-08-2009, 03:34 PM

I do find that songs repeat but they are going to play what is popular. I can't complain. Although they do play a lot of Daughty hahaha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 30 Old 04-09-2009, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry - don't mean to be a d***head, but it's just that I get tired of the in-house fighting around here sometimes.

I say "in-house" because, when it comes to this topic, we're really all in it together.
post #29 of 30 Old 04-10-2009, 07:06 PM

I noticed they have also gotten rid of their DJs during the day.
post #30 of 30 Old 04-11-2009, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The DJs are there in the day, some channels have less of them.

They should all go away, if we wants that we'd get FM radio.

Why would we want pop news?? why???
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page