After the Stern Era - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 Old 07-19-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
chavo1213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you guys and gals think satellite radio will thrive after Howard Stern leaves? I personally going to cancel my subscription after he leaves and I wonder how many will also do the same?
chavo1213 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 90 Old 07-19-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barbie845's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavo1213 View Post

Do you guys and gals think satellite radio will thrive after Howard Stern leaves? I personally going to cancel my subscription after he leaves and I wonder how many will also do the same?

Thrive?

When has it ever 'thrived'? SXM came within hours of filing for bankruptcy in February..

The Ipods, internet and streaming cell phones killed satellite radio before it even had a chance. No one person has saved or will save satellite radio.
barbie845 is offline  
post #3 of 90 Old 07-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Senior Member
 
fuddvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I drive a truck and had sat radio before Stern and will continue to subscribe after Stern. If all you pay for is Stern then I guess canceling is what you need to do,that is if you don't listen to anything else? I'm not a Stern hater,I listen to him when he is live,but there are other interesting things on the satellite to listen to.

Weather sat. radio survives is another thing,I think it will stick around in some form,most Big rigs that I see that do long haul driving have a Sat. antenna on them.
fuddvd is offline  
post #4 of 90 Old 07-19-2009, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barbie845's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddvd View Post

I drive a truck and had sat radio before Stern and will continue to subscribe after Stern. If all you pay for is Stern then I guess canceling is what you need to do,that is if you don't listen to anything else? I'm not a Stern hater,I listen to him when he is live,but there are other interesting things on the satellite to listen to.

Weather sat. radio survives is another thing,I think it will stick around in some form,most Big rigs that I see that do long haul driving have a Sat. antenna on them.

Without the $500 mil cash infusion from Liberty Media in Feb. SXM would have had to file for bankruptcy. Add in the piss poor economy, the terrible cars sales, which SXM needs desperately, I don't see any chance it can survive in it's current form..

Maybe a stripped down version, something like 30 music channels for free with ads, or for $3.99 a month, maybe then it can survive.. But it's current form is a bloated money hog that owes about $3 billion in 2010. Short of another bailout or buyout I can't see SXM around in 2011..
barbie845 is offline  
post #5 of 90 Old 07-20-2009, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: howell,nj
Posts: 3,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845 View Post

Thrive?

When has it ever 'thrived'? SXM came within hours of filing for bankruptcy in February..

The Ipods, internet and streaming cell phones killed satellite radio before it even had a chance. No one person has saved or will save satellite radio.


where did the OP ever say SXM has ever thrived?

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

mercury is offline  
post #6 of 90 Old 07-20-2009, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
barbie845's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

where did the OP ever say SXM has ever thrived?

IMO 'will thrive' sounded like a continuation. I mean why would one assume SXM 'will thrive' when it never has.. Hell, it's been on life support for 2-3 years now.

Anyway, whatever...
barbie845 is offline  
post #7 of 90 Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Senior Member
 
fuddvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbie845 View Post

Without the $500 mil cash infusion from Liberty Media in Feb. SXM would have had to file for bankruptcy. Add in the piss poor economy, the terrible cars sales, which SXM needs desperately, I don't see any chance it can survive in it's current form..

Maybe a stripped down version, something like 30 music channels for free with ads, or for $3.99 a month, maybe then it can survive.. But it's current form is a bloated money hog that owes about $3 billion in 2010. Short of another bailout or buyout I can't see SXM around in 2011..

I Agree for the most part. with sats. in the air and Millions of subscribers,someone will pick it up in bankruptcy and continue it for those customers, like me who travel a lot. Bankruptcy does not necessarily mean they will go away completely, why leave money on the table?
fuddvd is offline  
post #8 of 90 Old 07-20-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
barbie845's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddvd View Post

I Agree for the most part. with sats. in the air and Millions of subscribers,someone will pick it up in bankruptcy and continue it for those customers, like me who travel a lot. Bankruptcy does not necessarily mean they will go away completely, why leave money on the table?

You are correct, bankruptcy doesn't mean they will close their doors, but it doesn't mean salvation either.

Quite honestly with all the competition out there now IMO if someone bought SXM I think it would be more for the satellites and equipment then the subs. They've had LOST about 1/2 mil subs in the last 2 quarters, they are showing no growth, and the 18 million sub count is a lot of freebies, unsold cars, and some overall fudging of the sub number. I have no idea what the 'real' sub number is, but I would be SHOCKED if it's really anywhere near 18 mil.

Again IMO except for maybe a stripped down. ad driven service, I don't think anyone can make a go of a satellite radio service now adays.. There's too much competition out there now, with more coming every year.
barbie845 is offline  
post #9 of 90 Old 07-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Member
 
escapecar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As a part of that cash infusion, Liberty Media has put themselves in position to own 51% of S/XM if they want. I have a strong suspicion that those guys can figure out how to make the satellites turn a profit in the long run.

Maybe people who live in the few cities that still have decent terrestrial radio, or people with the time to invest in tracking down every song they might want to hear in every genre and putting it on an iPod, or people who are never in a car and can take advantage of internet radio won't need Sirius without Stern.

But move to my city, right in the middle of this country, live my car-heavy life with poor radio options, and you'll agree that S/XM provides a tremendous return on the entertainment dollar.

Until global wi/fi magically appears across the country, there's a potentially huge market for what S/XM provides. It's all a question of turning that potential into dollars....and maybe Mel K isn't the right man for that job post-Stern.
escapecar is offline  
post #10 of 90 Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Senior Member
 
fuddvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Barbie845, I think you have it nailed pretty close to how it will end up(stripped down ad driven service). It stinks though as I'm quite spoiled the 13+ hrs a day I listen to Quality radio...

escapecar,IS there any decent terrestrial radio left? from what I hear its pretty much being ruined by the lawyers and "suits"
Your right though, get out there "in the middle of nowhere" and radio options stink!
fuddvd is offline  
post #11 of 90 Old 07-20-2009, 10:56 AM
 
HankBmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I say probably not , they are barely alive now. I canceled over a year ago ( Still listen to Stern every now and again for free, same with O & A on pirate Streams ) . The price hikes , no stern on the iphone app , the taking away channels and shallow playlists are slowly killing SatRad . They barely escaped bankruptcy a few months ago and this december there is another big dept payment due . also have to figure if this next quarterly report shows mass sub cancelations like the last report it will be hard for them to get anyone to bail them out again .
HankBmore is offline  
post #12 of 90 Old 07-20-2009, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
barbie845's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapecar View Post

As a part of that cash infusion, Liberty Media has put themselves in position to own 51% of S/XM if they want. I have a strong suspicion that those guys can figure out how to make the satellites turn a profit in the long run.

Maybe people who live in the few cities that still have decent terrestrial radio, or people with the time to invest in tracking down every song they might want to hear in every genre and putting it on an iPod, or people who are never in a car and can take advantage of internet radio won't need Sirius without Stern.

But move to my city, right in the middle of this country, live my car-heavy life with poor radio options, and you'll agree that S/XM provides a tremendous return on the entertainment dollar.

Until global wi/fi magically appears across the country, there's a potentially huge market for what S/XM provides. It's all a question of turning that potential into dollars....and maybe Mel K isn't the right man for that job post-Stern.

Yeah, but will LM keep using those satellites and equipment for audio, or if/when they get full control use them for mobile video, or something else.

I've had XM for 7+ years, so obviously I enjoyed it. But recently I have to admit I don't like the bait and switch tactics, the price hikes, etc. I would love to see them be sucessful, but the more I see how they are running the company, and the economy, and the poor car sales, it all adds up to a VERY tough road for them stay in business and be profitable.
barbie845 is offline  
post #13 of 90 Old 07-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
tveli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: southern NH
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If/when Sterno disappears from sat-radio, I'll probably keep subscription as long as they keep the no-commercial music channels.
Maybe there's a chance they will keep a Howie channel, and continue to pay Howie to program it and show up on the air sometimes, or maybe call/ISDN in with annoyingly out-of-date info after he wakes up each day, like "Ralph".
tveli is offline  
post #14 of 90 Old 07-27-2009, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TomCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Assuming Howard does not re-sign, and it is likely he will in some form, the library of Stern shows is some 25 years deep. There is enough content in the can to carry both 100 and 101 until the end of time. IOW, I think the "Stern Era" will never end.

Will it be as good without fresh shows? Certainly not, but even a mediocre steak dinner is still a steak dinner, even if it's not a porterhouse. I also think the channels will suffer without Howard's sage guidance. I think they will start to do "wrap up" shows of the old shows, sort of an archaeological history rather than a daily wrap up, however, which would be a good move.

This means a lot of either live or taped Stern personalities to wrap around the old content. Stern devotees will love it. Folks probably will never get so tired of old Stern shows that the channels disappear (maybe one will) but when you create something as profound and as seminal as Howard has over the last 3 decades, it can live forever, just like Frank Lloyd Wright lives on in virtually every building designed even today and probably always will, and all contemporary jazz has roots in Miles Davis and probably always will.

"Era" is probably a misnomer, as that denotes a beginning and ending. "Milestone" is more appropriate, as that denotes a point in time when something begins but does not imply an ending.

And, BTW, there is a widely-held school of thought that SR would be gone already without Howard's influence. The things that handcuff SR are its poor audio quality for music, its being split in two at the outset then joined back together in the merger as some sort of two-headed beast that is technologically incompatible with itself, and in particular the fact that SR has to pay royalties that terrestrial radio does not. Even that playing field and bring out a dual radio, and SR will begin to thrive, with or without Howard.

And it is not going away, for the simple reason that it has lots of paying subscribers, and more of them than HBO or Showtime or DirecTV or anyone else other than ComCast cable. No one could ever find a justification to end the flow of cash, which is $3.6 BILLION with a B, annually, just counting subscriber fees and not even counting ad sales, which is also significant. The 5 major networks don't make that kind of scratch combined (and they have NO subscribers). They will soon raise rates 12%, and far less than 12% of subs will abandon ship because of it, meaning they will gross even more revenue in 2010.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
TomCat is offline  
post #15 of 90 Old 07-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
fuddvd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Central Oregon
Posts: 224
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Howard himself said:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBAxy...eature=relatedI posted that link mostly to show his missing work ethic but also his comment on peoples listening habits.


I think that most of his listeners will not listen to rehashes of old content because it won't have any relevance to today: It's Howards opinion of whats going on NOW that keeps me listening.A lot of his old shows are dated or are hack comedy since so many others have done it also.

Of course there is a old time radio channel on Sirius/xm with listeners,so I guess that there would be a market for "classic Howard" but nowhere near the base of fans for live Howard.

It will be interesting to see weather this "retirement Howard" is for real or a contract negotiating ploy he does every time a contract nears an end.
fuddvd is offline  
post #16 of 90 Old 07-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Member
 
jappleboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If Howard does leave maybe sirius can afford baseball
jappleboy is offline  
post #17 of 90 Old 07-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Member
 
joshmvf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm really wanting to get Sirius, but if Howard left and the price stayed the same, there's no way I'd sign up or continue my subscription if I had one.
joshmvf is offline  
post #18 of 90 Old 07-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
HDKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Stern doesn't have enough listeners to justify the $500 million they gave him. Such a waste of money.
HDKing is offline  
post #19 of 90 Old 07-31-2009, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: howell,nj
Posts: 3,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDKing View Post

Stern doesn't have enough listeners to justify the $500 million they gave him. Such a waste of money.


Thanks

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

mercury is offline  
post #20 of 90 Old 07-31-2009, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: howell,nj
Posts: 3,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmvf View Post

I'm really wanting to get Sirius, but if Howard left and the price stayed the same, there's no way I'd sign up or continue my subscription if I had one.


my heads spinning, what?

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*

Squeezbox*

Niles ZR-6 6 Source, 6 room Audio Reciever*

mercury is offline  
post #21 of 90 Old 08-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Super Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Maple Shade, NJ
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I currently have 2 Sirius radios and 1 XM in our 2008 Outlook. Will keep the XM as long as they offer the $77/yr. deal, just got it again last month. As far as Sirius, when Howie leaves I will shut off 1 of the subs, maybe both. I have a Slacker unit that plays a better selection of music, and I already have the setup with the mini jack and FM transmitter that I use for my Sirius radio, and a USB input in my pickup, so it would be easy to put the Slacker unit where the Sirius units are now. Keeping Sirius for the music would be tough at $142/yr. for 1 and $89 the other, if those prices remain.

Dave
Super Dave is offline  
post #22 of 90 Old 08-02-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nakedeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cant tell ya, not realy sure myself
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They will be much better off without his over bloated pay.

Perhaps they would not be in this mess if it were not for him.
nakedeye is offline  
post #23 of 90 Old 08-03-2009, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
tveli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: southern NH
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
perhaps the only reason satellite-radio succeeded so far is due to Howie?

ps - i'll have sirius backseat-tv soon - even though it doesn't show "Howard TV".
tveli is offline  
post #24 of 90 Old 08-03-2009, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nakedeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cant tell ya, not realy sure myself
Posts: 1,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tveli View Post

perhaps the only reason satellite-radio succeeded so far is due to Howie?

ps - i'll have sirius backseat-tv soon - even though it doesn't show "Howard TV".

Your funny!

Perhaps Sirius would not be around, but XM was thriving before Hoo-Hoo decided to get in the game. After he did, they both went on drunken sailor spending spree's that put them in the position they are in now.

What they really need to do is to kill off the inferior Sirius PAC stream and use the new bandwidth for AAC+
nakedeye is offline  
post #25 of 90 Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedeye View Post

Your funny!

Perhaps Sirius would not be around, but XM was thriving before Hoo-Hoo decided to get in the game. After he did, they both went on drunken sailor spending spree's that put them in the position they are in now.

What they really need to do is to kill off the inferior Sirius PAC stream and use the new bandwidth for AAC+


Oh my, a "Hoo Hoo" reference. How cleverer. I didn't know there were any of those tools left. 25 stations lost in 2.5 years and the pppests are still at it?
Jgatie is offline  
post #26 of 90 Old 08-03-2009, 04:29 PM
 
HankBmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How can Stern explain all those Iphone apps downloaded with O&A availible but not him ?
HankBmore is offline  
post #27 of 90 Old 08-04-2009, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
chavo1213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im just wondering what kind of deal is sirius going to give me when I try to cancel my subscription after Howard leaves. They waived off the $2.99 internet feed when I try to cancel a while back.
chavo1213 is offline  
post #28 of 90 Old 08-04-2009, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
tveli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: southern NH
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I subscribed to sirius 9 months before Howid signed on and was surprised to that it was a fantastic service long before he showed up. I hope it can remain so after Howid leaves the building for the last time.
I predict Howie will enter into an exclusive business/contract with his true love, Jackie the Joke Man.
Anyway, the iphone app is big win for customers with or without Howid.
Also seems like bootleg online streams for Howie are available 24x7 now, so iphone users can just surf to those via browser?
TTFN.
tveli is offline  
post #29 of 90 Old 08-04-2009, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AbMagFab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankBmore View Post

How can Stern explain all those Iphone apps downloaded with O&A availible but not him ?

1) Many people figured he'd be available on the app, so downloaded it then never used it

2) The music is all available on the app, which is nice

3) It's free, so if you have Sirius/XM and an iPhone, you're going to download it

A much more interesting statistic would be what people are listening to using the iPhone app, if anything.

I know that everyone in my office with an iPhone who has Sirius/XM downloaded it right away, and hasn't used it since. (Like many other iPhone apps.)

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
AbMagFab is offline  
post #30 of 90 Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jgatie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

1) Many people figured he'd be available on the app, so downloaded it then never used it

2) The music is all available on the app, which is nice

3) It's free, so if you have Sirius/XM and an iPhone, you're going to download it

A much more interesting statistic would be what people are listening to using the iPhone app, if anything.

I know that everyone in my office with an iPhone who has Sirius/XM downloaded it right away, and hasn't used it since. (Like many other iPhone apps.)

Take a look at the ratings on the app and see what the #1 reason for a sub-par rating is (Hint: The availability of O&A ain't driving up the ratings . . . again . . . per usual).
Jgatie is offline  
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off