MiRGE Radio and FM Transmitter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-18-2009, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a Sirius/XM MiRGE radio to replace my worn out Sportster Replay 2. My old radio had an absolutely kick-ass FM transmitter... I could tune it in from 200+ feet away, with obstacles. Now I notice that the MiRGE has the option to turn on the FM transmitter, but upon doing that I got nothing coming through on my stereo, even from a foot away.

Unlike the Sportster, the MiRGE doesn't have an antenna port to plug in the FM antenna -- only line-out. The manual states that the FM transmitter is for use with XM SureConnect or XM FM Direct adapters; both of which are geared toward automobile use. Is there something I can attach to take advantage of the FM transmitter at home? I only need about a 40-50' range.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2009, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSX View Post

I just got a Sirius/XM MiRGE radio to replace my worn out Sportster Replay 2. My old radio had an absolutely kick-ass FM transmitter... I could tune it in from 200+ feet away, with obstacles. Now I notice that the MiRGE has the option to turn on the FM transmitter, but upon doing that I got nothing coming through on my stereo, even from a foot away.

Unlike the Sportster, the MiRGE doesn't have an antenna port to plug in the FM antenna -- only line-out. The manual states that the FM transmitter is for use with XM SureConnect or XM FM Direct adapters; both of which are geared toward automobile use. Is there something I can attach to take advantage of the FM transmitter at home? I only need about a 40-50' range.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Because of a FCC ruling the internal built in FM transmitters in all new XM and Sirius equipment suck.. So you do need an external FM transmitter.

I've used this LineX transmitter for many years. It has about 1/2 city block range and it is inexpensive..It plugs into the headphone jack.

The only drawback is it runs on batteries, but I use rechargeables in it so if I forget to turn it off and the batteries drain down it's no big deal..

http://unlimitedcellular.com/p-5497-...ansmitter.aspx

Edit...There is a seller on Ebay who is selling them for $19.99...So if you have an Ebay account that might be the easier way to go.. Search>>>> LineX FM
post #3 of 4 Old 09-18-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the information -- I guess I'll have to go the external FM transmitter route. It's too bad that the LineX doesn't support external power adapters (AC or DC).

I found the C.Crane linked from another review here on the forum, and it comes with an adapter. Of course, it's much more expensive (~$70).

Has anyone here successfully rigged a LineX to use external power?

Damn you, FCC!
post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclipseGSX View Post

Thank you for the information -- I guess I'll have to go the external FM transmitter route. It's too bad that the LineX doesn't support external power adapters (AC or DC).

I found the C.Crane linked from another review here on the forum, and it comes with an adapter. Of course, it's much more expensive (~$70).

Has anyone here successfully rigged a LineX to use external power?

Damn you, FCC!

Yes, both here and on other sites I have seen the Crane transmitter recommended very highly. The only draw-back is the cost. This LineX is a much cheaper option, AND it has very, very good range.

I never even tried to rig it up with external power because like I said I use 3 AA rechargeables. And the battery life in it is pretty good. Even when using rechargeables.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page