Question about additional radios + subscrips and docks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-16-2009, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an original sirius sportster that seems to be dying on me so I'm consdering upgrade options.

My first question is whether each dock for all the different radios are the same or different? I'm guessing they are different but it would be much easier if I didn't have to remount a dock.

Second, sirius offers some deals on additional radios if you buy a 3+ month package combined. The terms talk about if you cancel the plans early, and that they renew automatically etc, but I can't find any information about if I cancel my original plan. Do I not have to keep my original subscription if I get one of these discounted packages?

I tried calling them up but was on hold forever and gave up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer202 View Post

I have an original sirius sportster that seems to be dying on me so I'm consdering upgrade options.

My first question is whether each dock for all the different radios are the same or different? I'm guessing they are different but it would be much easier if I didn't have to remount a dock.

Second, sirius offers some deals on additional radios if you buy a 3+ month package combined. The terms talk about if you cancel the plans early, and that they renew automatically etc, but I can't find any information about if I cancel my original plan. Do I not have to keep my original subscription if I get one of these discounted packages?

I tried calling them up but was on hold forever and gave up

Your first radio subscription is full price, additional radios are something like 1/3 off, or there about.

Don't worry about a cancel, when you get your new radio, you can transfer your Sportster subscription to it without having to cancel, but they will charge you $15 transfer fee. Although if you argue that you are transferring is because their crappy radio broke, they'll usually waive the fee.

Your original sportster has the same docking as the Sportster Replay. Anything newer is a 5V radio (Sportster was 12V) with a new docking scheme. The new universal dock will work for the Sportster 4 and 5 and most of the most recent stratus radios too. If you go with a portable, which I am a HUGE fan of, the Stiletto 10 and 100 use the same dock, the Stiletto 2 has a different dock.

You could, if you wanted, get a Sportster Replay refurbished radio only, without any docks or anything and not have to upgrade anything.

http://www.tss-radio.com/refurbished...er-p-5986.html

PS - If you are lucky enough to have an old sportster radio with a useable FM transmitter.. forget it. It's extremely rare to find any radio without a nuetered transmitter.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSteeler View Post

PS - If you are lucky enough to have an old sportster radio with a useable FM transmitter.. forget it. It's extremely rare to find any radio without a nuetered transmitter.

haha not sure what you mean, but I have the original equipment including the little fm transmitter. I'm not really sure whats wrong with the current radio, but I was getting "acquiring signal" and replaced the antenna. I played around with it for a bit and it was working for about a day and then stopped and I'm getting acquiring signal again. Sirius says its the radio itself that needs to be replaced. I wonder if they would offer me a free radio to keep my subscription.

The deals they offer to existing subscribers aren't too bad but its just a pain because the radio stopped working for no apparent reason, and for those additional radios you need to pay 3 months at a time
post #4 of 8 Old 11-19-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:

haha not sure what you mean, but I have the original equipment including the little fm transmitter. I'm not really sure whats wrong with the current radio, but I was getting "acquiring signal" and replaced the antenna. I played around with it for a bit and it was working for about a day and then stopped and I'm getting acquiring signal again. Sirius says its the radio itself that needs to be replaced. I wonder if they would offer me a free radio to keep my subscription.

The deals they offer to existing subscribers aren't too bad but its just a pain because the radio stopped working for no apparent reason, and for those additional radios you need to pay 3 months at a time

Real quick summary:
Jackasses complained that their radio stations wer being interfered with by passing cars with Sirius.

FCC found that Sirius radios had too powerful and FM transmitter and threatened heavy fines.

Sirius ripped the transmitting antenna out of every existing radio they could get their hands on and made all furture radios with a transmitter so weak that it is useless.

So.......
If you listen to your radio through FM, using your sportster as the source, you'll need a new way to listen with a new radio.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-19-2009, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

so the old transmitter won't work with the new radios? I'm not sure which I have anyway, my girlfriend did take my car to bestbuy to get an antenna replaced a couple years ago and is it possible they switched the transmitter too? If not I assume I have the old one.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-20-2009, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so the old transmitter won't work with the new radios? I'm not sure which I have anyway, my girlfriend did take my car to bestbuy to get an antenna replaced a couple years ago and is it possible they switched the transmitter too? If not I assume I have the old one.

The INTERNAL FM transmitters in the newer XM and Sirius units now suck..The FCC forced XM and Sirius to weaken the INTERNAL FM transmitters in all their car/home and portable units..

It sounds like you may already have an EXTERNAL transmitter in your car and if you have an EXTERNAL FM transmitter you can just plug that transmitter into any new unit you buy..

The 1st thing you should do is find out if you have an external FM transmitter or you were using the internal FM transmitter from your old Sportster. If you don't have an external transmitter then if you buy a new Sportster you will need an external transmitter, or some other method to get the signal to your car radio. The internal FM transmitter in the new Sportster won't do it..
post #7 of 8 Old 11-20-2009, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

ok gotcha. maybe i'll try to find some info on when they switched the transmitters to see which I have. I believe I do have an external transmitter though. its doesn't look like any of the ones I see now on sale, its just a short little wire, maybe a foot long with an open end but a little rubber tip covering it.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-20-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ok well I just talked to an account cancelation person who only offered me some refurbished old piece of junk radios for shipping only. She also said that if I bought a new radio with a discount I would have to keep both subscriptions for 6 months.

I got disconnected and called back and went to the "buy a new radio" department and the guy said I didn't have to keep them both. He said I could either put the current one on hold until I go through the new subscription or I could just cancel the new subscription and transfter it immediately to the old one. I told him the website says something very different, but he assured me he was telling the truth. Went ahead and bought the sportster 5 and got transfered to another guy who confirmed that the first guy was indeed correct.

I'm pretty satisfied now, though I'm still upset this old radio broke just sitting in my car somehow. But if they are true to their word and I can transfer for free and not have to pay any cancellation fees I'll be fine with that. Even better would be if I could keep the $8.99 + royalty monthly fee, even though you have to pay 3 months at a time.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page