I just bought the Sportster 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-26-2009, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is a nice little unit for the auto. I am trying to figure out how to mount it to the dash and where to bury the wire within the car. The antenna wire is long! Not sure how to how to feed it to the outside and mount the end of the antenna to the top of the car? Doesn't the wire pinch each time the door opens and closes? It says not to mount it on the inside of the car, yet Canadian winters would be hard on the magnetic ending.

Another bummer is i don't have a aux. in on my factory Mitsubishi outlander radio deck. I guess i will use the fm transmitter, but i live in Toronto where there is lots fm interference. I wonder if there is another solution?

Thanks for any tips.

O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-26-2009, 06:44 PM

1. You don't have to run the antenna outside the car. Run it to your dash and velcro in a spot that isn't blocked by the whiper. I always use the passenger corner next to where a speaker would typically go. I get the same reception as outside and the antenna last forever. Been doing this with 4 cars for over 7 years.

2. You need to search for a direct FM adapter. The FM output from the 5 is to weak so your radio won't pick it up without the direct input. You can thank the FCC for that.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-26-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the tip. I noticed the same thing driving around today. The reception was fine with having the antenna on the dash. I might keep it there for a while. I was getting two or three bars on the display of the sportster.

Do i have to geta direct Fm adapter made by sirius or is there after market ones? After i purchase it, do i have to pull out the factory deck to install the adapter or can i do it from looking under the dashboard. (mitsubishi outlander)

im going to play around wit it tomorrow and will post results.

thanks

o
post #4 of 5 Old 12-26-2009, 08:03 PM

You will need to pull the radio, plug the adapter into your radios antenna input, then plug the factory antenna plug into the adapter.

A good source is Crutchfield because they can tell you if your radio may need some type of plug adapter.
I believe the direct FM adapter is sold as a sirius product but if there's an after market one it should work just as good.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-27-2009, 02:49 AM

U may wish to check the Mitsubishi forums on a mod or adapter that you can connect to your OEM deck. There is also another add on made my GROM that may fit your needs. It's basically connecting the headphone jack on the Sportster. That's the best reception you're going to get. http://www.gromaudio.com/ or this one but you may have to do some splicing: http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=MIT-35M

However, with me, I'm reluctant to leave the unit in the car, not because it may get stolen but because it's inviting a thief to break-in.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page