Satellite Radio for the Elderly -- advice please? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to provide Satellite Radio for my 91-year-old mother in law who's in a nursing home. I've glanced at the available equipment and nothing seems suited. She does have a window facing south so I think we could get reception. Here's the requirements:

-- Extremely simple remote control. She's in a wheelchair with limited mobility. She couldn't really get to a box and punch the buttons directly. She is also very easily confused by new gadgets. Ideally it would play as a set of channels over the TV so she could use the TV remote she's familiar with but I don't know if that's possible. We have Time Warner Cable -- they have music channels with digital cable but nothing suitable for elderly people.

-- Small footprint. Room is cluttered with pictures, plants, etc.

-- Programming like 30's-40's music, news, PBS, sports talk.

I've also considered putting in a cable modem with wireless and doing Internet radio, but haven't found a solution for that either that is simple and small enough.

I thought I'd throw this out there for the bright people with experience in this field. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-04-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogHasFleas View Post

I'm looking to provide Satellite Radio for my 91-year-old mother in law who's in a nursing home. I've glanced at the available equipment and nothing seems suited. She does have a window facing south so I think we could get reception. Here's the requirements:

-- Extremely simple remote control. She's in a wheelchair with limited mobility. She couldn't really get to a box and punch the buttons directly. She is also very easily confused by new gadgets. Ideally it would play as a set of channels over the TV so she could use the TV remote she's familiar with but I don't know if that's possible. We have Time Warner Cable -- they have music channels with digital cable but nothing suitable for elderly people.

-- Small footprint. Room is cluttered with pictures, plants, etc.

-- Programming like 30's-40's music, news, PBS, sports talk.

I've also considered putting in a cable modem with wireless and doing Internet radio, but haven't found a solution for that either that is simple and small enough.

I thought I'd throw this out there for the bright people with experience in this field. Thanks for any help.

Unfortunately, all of the remotes are small and weak.

The Sportster series of radios have a display function that shows the display of what is on in huge letters that take up the whole screen and scroll it, rather than put it all on the screen in small writing.

You could program presets for her so all she has to do it hit one number (0-9) on the remote to change channels.

The radio itself is only about 4 inches wide, but you'll obviously need to connect to a speaker system somehow of course.

Her channels will likely be: 40's on 4, 50s on 5, NPR, CNN, CNN Headline, Fox News, ESPN Radio, maybe Jazz or Blues.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pal of mine has similar situation. His dad is very old and gets very happy when he hears the 40s music. So my pal gave his dad his sirius-boombox. It's always tuned to 40s channel, and his dad turns it on and off. Not sure if there is a remote-control.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

well I went to Fry's and found this. And I got an XM XpressRC radio to go with it. A bit pricey at Fry's but heck she's got the money and I wanted to get it over with.

I really think this is going to work. The remote is simple and easy to push the buttons. And it's nice and small so it'll fit on her furniture which is crammed with pictures and other stuff. I can just set up 10 presets and she can push one button to tune it.

I've just activated it, I'll update the thread after it's installed and I see if it works.

AudioVox XM AS100 Compact Sound System

post #5 of 6 Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Liked: 11
Congratulations! I hope this works for her.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM

Hi MyDogHasFleas,

Did the AudioVox XM AS100 Compact Sound System work for you? I am looking for a simple satellite table radio for my elderly father who is in a nursing home as well. I found the SiriusXM Tabletop Internet Radio, but I don't want to have to hook up an internet connection in his room just so he can hear satellite radio. Just would add more wires and boxes to confuse him.

Thanks,
erinblythe
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page