Sirius Radio Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-29-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Love the forums and I am obviously new hear to yours so thank in advance. Long story short I have an older Sportster satellite radio that has a never "ending subscription" on it. I recently came into a new Sportster 4 that I would like to transfer this subscription too. Is there any possible way to do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2010, 05:38 AM

If you are a legal paying customer who purchased the "lifetime" plan, the you can transfer that plan up to 3 times. Just call customer service and they will transfer it to your new radio. I believe you will be charged a $75 transfer fee each time.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
...and pay attention to your old radio if you have second car. They may not turn off the old one so you may be able to use it a second car. I transfered a lifetime off a Sportster about three years go and the original one is still working. I have second car that is almost impossible to replace the radio so I pulled out the old Sportster about a year ago and it was STILL working. And still is.

My guess is that if they actually start turning off all those cancelled and transfered radios, there's no way they can tell advertisers that they have 6 million listeners. At least this way, they can pull the count of active radios and say "See? 6 million."

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

...and pay attention to your old radio if you have second car. They may not turn off the old one so you may be able to use it a second car. I transfered a lifetime off a Sportster about three years go and the original one is still working. I have second car that is almost impossible to replace the radio so I pulled out the old Sportster about a year ago and it was STILL working. And still is.

My guess is that if they actually start turning off all those cancelled and transfered radios, there's no way they can tell advertisers that they have 6 million listeners. At least this way, they can pull the count of active radios and say "See? 6 million."

Your logic is completely false.

Satellite radio is a one-way system. There's no way they can possibly tell how many radio are activated. They do, from time to time, send deactivation signals. However, if your deactivated radio is not on at the time, you miss it. Eventually, your radio will be deactivated.

So any info they are tell advertisers are based on 2 things: self paying customers, and automobile free trials, as reported in their financials.

Any assumption by you that they somehow know how many radio missed their deactivation signals, and somehow use this number in advertising negotiations is completely false and ridiculous.

How exactly are they "pulling count" of active radios? Do you think your radio is covertly beaming back up to the satellite right to Mel's iphone app to let him know that your radio is on?
post #5 of 6 Old 02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
No, what I think is that they know EXACTLY how many have been activated (they MUST know you have an active radio if they are going to bill you, right? Your assumption that "There's no way they can possibly tell how many radio are activated" is completely false.). And they also know how many they sent a deactivation signal to (they need to STOP billing you if you cancel or transfer, right?). The difference in those two numbers would be the presumed "active" radios (those that have been activated but NOT de-activated). Since it 's pretty well known that they overestimate the count of subscribers by including those from "free trial" subscriptions with the pruchase of new cars, I'm saying that if they REALLY sent a deactivate signal to all those radios and some random advertiser asked for the numbers, there is no way they could support the number of subscribers they bill advertisers for.

If you are asserting that they really want to deactivate radios, why wouldn't they be sending those deactivations more often? Like at times when people are likely to be listening? I pretty much only listen to my radio during the traditional terrestial "drive time." You would think that would be a pretty good time send it. But maybe that's why I'm not in the Satelte Radio business.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #6 of 6 Old 02-02-2010, 07:00 AM

There's only a few channels that attract any amount of listeners and have commercials. I would sirius would be much more interested in getting those deactivated radios turned into paying customers.

I recent metric for advertisers was a study done recently showing that the activated radios are often shared or listened to in a place where many can hear. They deduced that there are over 35 million sirius listeners that listen daily, compared to only 18 million subscribed radios.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page