Sirius cutting out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-18-2010, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Sirius service, factory installed radio in my Mercedes SUV, repeatedly cuts out -- in town and on the interstate. This may be momentary or bring "acquiring signal" message. The dealer has replaced the antenna, and both dealer and Mercedes customer service state this is inherent in the Sirius service. I live in FL, so no problem seeing the satellites. They don't get a fault indication when testing the radio, so have not yet replaced it. Is this common, and does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-18-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

they are blowing smoke up your behind...

the only times i get dropouts from sirius in my car is when i'm blocked from the signal (bridge overpass, heavily wooded area, etc.)...

i never get dropouts at home...

keep pushing... something isn't right....

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 4 Old 08-24-2010, 05:54 AM

Liked: 10
The only time mines cuts out is under cover, and it has to be significant cover such as an overpass. Even in heavy tree cover I seldom lose it. Although on the Disney Channel 115 (little girl in the house) I do get intermittent pauses but only on that channel. Otherwise my Stiletto has proven wonderful and love having it. Can you say 80s on 8?

John Martin
post #4 of 4 Old 08-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
if swapping the antenna didn't fix it, it could be the satellite receiver unit itself, or the wire leading to the antenna.

btw, when I drive in florida I notice that when next to big-rig the signal could cut out rarely/briefly.

a possible way to prove there is problem with vehicle sat system is to use another receiver, and position the other receiver's antenna next to the benz sat antenna. you can do this with a single subscription because the signal problem will be evident even on channel 184, the no-subscription channel.
also you may be able to demonstrate this in the benz dealer's parking lot. drive around until you find a spot where the problem happens. then drive another benz from the lot next to your car. crank both radios, and point out to service tech when your radio goes off and the other does this. swap the cars positions, and then demonstrate the issue again, to prove that a 10 foot offset in position is not the cause.
Reply XM and Sirius Satellite Radio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page